The House Plants Thread

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Are those your hyacinths? Those are top notch. Waaaaay better looking than mine. Well done if so.

My next project is clematis.

(Google stock photo)

clematis.JPG

From what I gather they like their feet to be shaded and inside a cooler micro-climate if possible. The top likes lots of sun but can tolerate some shade. It's a lightweight climbing vine that produces tons of flowers in some great deep colors. It needs a place to climb. So I have a spot where it'll face southwest, it'll have an ivy hedge in front of its feet, and it'll have a porch (with some extra wire added) for it to climb up. My only concern is the soil down inside that hedge row. It might be totally owned by thick old tangled roots with no good loose space to work with. I'm hoping to get dirty this week and make a space to plant this thing.

Anyone ever grown clematis?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Those photos all came out of my yard today more or less. Clematis are pretty neat. I have some more pictures of ours, but here is one during the opening that I took last summer. Somewhere is an image of a 7 or 9 petal mutant, I can't remember which. I'll snag it if I run across it.

Edit: The clematis here has never gown that big as that stock photo. It gets a few hours of direct sun in the morning, The Cherry provides some shade from then until afternoon, its on a triangle trellis, after about 2-3pm the sun is shaded by the fence at that point. At peak bloom it maybe had 12-13 flowers on it, still awesome. And they are quite big. Its currently workings its way back up as a new it. Not very tall yet. I'm not sure ours is in an ideal place, but it seems reasonably hearty with something to climb.

aN2pdTa.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I had a feeling... unfortunately these organisms will return each year, however as your tree matures it will be able to sustain a series of small attacks, while a large scale infestation can completely defoliate even the most strong of trees. Right now this tree is going to need attention, if going out and manually removing and killing the pests is not possible for whatever reason I would recommend using a bacterial insecticide.

Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad

Information directly quoted from the link.

• Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad is part of a new generation of insect control sprays designed for residential use in home gardens, lawns and on ornamentals. It is safe for use on fruits and vegetables, trees, all ornamentals, and turf. It is safe to use around beneficial insects and is OMRI-approved by the Organic Materials Review Institute for organic gardening.

This product is an effective control for insects such as gypsy moth, leafminers, leafrollers, caterpillars, thrips, fruit flies, katydids, gall midges, bagworms, tent caterpillars, webworms, loopers, fire ants and borers on stone fruit trees. It does not significantly impact beneficial insects.

When sprayed on the foliage, this products works like BTK by poisoning the caterpillars feeding on the leaves. It is more effective and generally lasts about twice as long as BT when sprayed on tree leaves. (BT remains effective on a tree for about 7 to 10 days, while Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad remains effective about 3 to 4 weeks).

Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad is a concentrate that can be applied with trigger, hand-held, or hose-end sprayers. This product is not a synthetic chemical, but a bacterial product produced by fermentation. It is fast acting and odorless
Looks the neighborhood birds took care of the problem. Of the 3-4 I saw on the tree I only see one now.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Ages ago or sometime in the past, I don't even remember when I did a bunch of submissions to the Honey Nut Cheerio Save the Bees promotion and in the last week have received 7 packets of "wild flower" seeds.
The packets don't say what flowers they are but just to simply till the area, place them in and water. Most of the front of my house is bare bed from where I cleaned it all out last year. It will be interesting to see what comes up if anything.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Keep us updated, you're currently in the running to sweep all awards. Growing literal Star Children is an experience to not be missed. Thanks for the post. From all us plant lovers.

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Nah that aint me man.

I would have taken a ton of pictures on account of the weather being sunny and in the 80s but my phone is having some issues. I moved the majority of my plant collection outdoors today including the Passion Flower vine. I noticed one of my Jade Plants has produced several new branches from where I removed leaves to propagate a new set of jades.

Coincidentally I also watered my Desert Rose for the first time today since late October. It did not completely defoliate over the winter which worries me a bit because it can effect the blooms for the next growing season.

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Not a plant, just a google image of a red spotted newt. I found one of these guys crossing my road today so I assisted it across. I have never seen one of these little creatures until today, they are also the state Amphibian of NH :)

SpottedNewtamphibian02.jpg

red-spottednewt02.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have several clematis.

The light blue one. plant is on the northside of the shed clearly shaded by shed, sedum and itself.
2015 mid summer.
QX4FSBl.jpg

may 2016 just before blooming.
D5gyzmy.jpg

it was much smaller when I moved in 4 years ago? I added the larger arbor. its taken off since.
I was really impressed with it. Additionally, noticed some locals who had really amazing clematis on mailboxes, etc around the area. Much richer colored ones. magenta and purple.

I got another purple one and put it out front. It bloomed, but seemed to have gotten beaten by the direct sun. I think it ended up dying by the end of the year.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I have several clematis.

The light blue one. plant is on the northside of the shed clearly shaded by shed, sedum and itself.
2015 mid summer.
View attachment 131539
may 2016 just before blooming.
View attachment 131540

it was much smaller when I moved in 4 years ago? I added the larger arbor. its taken off since.
I was really impressed with it. Additionally, noticed some locals who had really amazing clematis on mailboxes, etc around the area. Much richer colored ones. magenta and purple.

I got another purple one and put it out front. It bloomed, but seemed to have gotten beaten by the direct sun. I think it ended up dying by the end of the year.

I've heard you have to shade their feet if they are in direct sun. That's why I'm going to try to plant it back behind a low hedge. I like that color on yours. Mine will be dark purple if it survives.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I really love desert roses but I have never seen the seeds for sale before. They look healthy, good luck to you sir!, owning one of these beauties is really an awesome experience.

I bought them from Whatcom Seed Co. - Seeds from Whatcom Seed Company - Catalog of Rare, Exotic, Unusual Garden Seeds

I also bought some Japanese maple seeds but only 2 of 10 have germinated and those are spindly because the seeds were in the fridge for 4 months and I didn't notice they had sprouted early enough - was supposed to check weekly but forgot. The other 8 have been out of the fridge and sown normally but haven't sprouted yet. Also bought some Mexican fan palm (Licuala) seeds, which require a different treatment, and those haven't sprouted either.

• 3Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
So I planted some Cypress vine seeds...

kEHi3Ha.jpg

XlkY12w.jpg

and some Cacti seeds as well.

qvaCw0K.jpg

The Cypress vine seeds are a 3rd generation of off spring from a large vine my mom had grown one summer, they have performed well in the past and can grow up to 20ft in one season if cared for properly.

• 3Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
All from today. Sorry for the formatting error.

Wild Tulip - The photo doesn't do the real thing proper justice for its color.
40BDJVp.jpg

Wild Tulip - Same Plant Above
hgCNzXT.jpg

Wild Tulip - Other colors
hEh4jco.jpg

Narcissus
Mq8sZT7.jpg

Grape Hyacinth
j7rBHy3.jpg

Many Lilies beginning to power up.
BUUVRF6.jpg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
My African Violet blooms have changed significantly since I first purchased it. I am really liking the progression!

[QUOTE="Mr_Bungle, post: 1956100, member: 70"
View attachment 126934

View attachment 126935

View attachment 126936

[/QUOTE]

I just took these photos a few minuets ago after removing most of the spend spent flowers.

c8asl2R.jpg

U91ugNS.jpg

geggfXe.jpg

Edit: I was rushing and forgot to proof read, my apologies.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
All from today. Sorry for the formatting error.

Wild Tulip - The photo doesn't do the real thing proper justice for its color.
View attachment 132855

Wild Tulip - Same Plant Above
View attachment 132856

Wild Tulip - Other colors
View attachment 132857

Narcissus
View attachment 132858

Grape Hyacinth
View attachment 132859

Many Lilies beginning to power up.
View attachment 132860

I definitely want you to keep posting pictures.

This thread has morphed a bit. It was about House Plants but now it's more about just growing in general.

Growing, in General.....

But I have noticed that most of us are posting about ornamentals and succulents both indoor potted and outdoor planted, and not so much about veggies or fruits. Big P has some citrus trees.

Anyway, the fact that you do ornamental gardening is cool as hell to me. I'm not exactly sure why I am drawn to the cottage arrangement stuff, but I am. My partner at work is also a gardener but he does veggies. The only ornaments he has is a cedar tree and a small row of daylilies along the side fence.

I feel like veggie growing is almost like an entirely different skill than cottage or formal exterior arrangements. It is much more objective oriented whereas cottage gardening is much more subjective oriented. But both require real actual skill in the garden. Different skills, but both legit imo.

And all of this coming from a semi-randian. Haha. Wow. Life is strange.

Keep posting pics Dandain. I love your garden and I mostly want to see those lilies. My own are just starting to show their tiny flower buds. Most have 3 or 4 but one has 6. They will be dark purple and should be cool as hell.

• 2Like