The House Plants Thread

Siliconemelons

Chia-Pet-Presidential-Candidates_Donald-Trump.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
While raking the yard today I found this cluster of mushrooms.

anSFhlE.jpg

AmKbnn3.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
With most of my plant collection beginning to wind down into dormancy, (With the exception of my cyclamen which is still blooming strong within the cool interior of the garage.)
I've been looking forward to the possible spring projects I can engage in.

I have decided upon a few worth while/long term/delayed gratification ideas.

1. Build a trellace for my hoya as well as repotting it. Hopefully this will give it just enough surface area over the years to satisfy one of just a few blooming requiremets.

2. I have been reading a great deal about Giant Sequoias as of recent. Their seeds are for sale online for relatively cheap unless you want a pound or more. Furthermore, these Conifers can survive outside in colder environments (zone 5 is what I have read to be the coldest tolorable zone). Breeders have blue, dwarf, and even weeping cultivars available as well.

FI15986IDTANIAW.MEDIUM.jpg

3. Build a portable greenhouse.

There are many DIY plans online with print outs. I would still like to try and make my own template or atleast modify a previously existing one to my liking.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
whats my aloe vera doing?

View attachment 100569

Your aloe has reached the point during its life cycle where it is going to produce blooms! Depending on the exact aloe you have, bloom colors, height of the spire (some grow to 3 ft before the blooms actually open) and duration of blooms may vary. You should expect something similar to this.

aloe_vera_flower_1.jpg

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Great thread, I usually hit it up before I head to the garden store.

I figured you have seen this, but I thought it was interesting enough to post here anyway.

http://lifehacker.com/this-graphic-shows-the-best-air-cleaning-plants-accord-1705307836

Spoiler Infographic size.

Well I'm glad people are checking this thread out on the regular!

I have read an article similar to this about building sickness in office areas. The majority of these plants on the list you posed are actually quite suitable for an office environment and require minimal care. Next time I go out to the grocery store I'll have to pick up a flamingo lily.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Asparagus Fern. Jade plant is also really good assuming you get at least some indirect light.

Personally I'd just like to learn how not to kill orchids, they're ideal if you can get them to live a few months.

There a different types of orchids and some do better inside than others. We have about 6 inside and 8 outside clinging to the palm trees. The kill ratio for both is about the same. Some orchids are just bitches and there's nothing you can do about it.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
There a different types of orchids and some do better inside than others. We have about 6 inside and 8 outside clinging to the palm trees. The kill ratio for both is about the same. Some orchids are just bitches and there's nothing you can do about it.

What varieties of orchid are you growing inside? Are all 6 different?

Orchid blooms stand out in my mind partly because of the sexual mimicry tactics and pheromones that attract pollinators. Evolution you are one sexy deceptive temptress.

Additionally there are orchid blooms that look like monkey faces.
Funny-monkey-face-orchids.jpg

Orchid-Dracula-Monkey-Face.jpg

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What varieties of orchid are you growing inside? Are all 6 different?

Orchid blooms stand out in my mind partly because of the sexual mimicry tactics and pheromones that attract pollinators. Evolution you are one sexy deceptive temptress.

Additionally there are orchid blooms that look like monkey faces.
View attachment 100580
View attachment 100581

Cnths, Vanda, Cattleya, Phalaenopsis and Miltonia.

I'll grab some pics later.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Your aloe has reached the point during its life cycle where it is going to produce blooms! Depending on the exact aloe you have, bloom colors, height of the spire (some grow to 3 ft before the blooms actually open) and duration of blooms may vary. You should expect something similar to this.

View attachment 100576
Guess it didn't get the memo it's about to be winter. Like mid 30s here this week.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Guess it didn't get the memo it's about to be winter. Like mid 30s here this week.

Mid 30s should be OK, some aloes can survive down into the mid 20s with no cold damage to the leaves. In fact some aloes need the lower temperature and winter light patterns to produce blooms. I would love to see this when it really steals the show. What grow zone are you in BTW? I'm in zone 5 so I have to keep my succulents inside for most of the year.

hardiness-zone-map.gif

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I'm in 6 which I consider a minor blessing as I can grown things in all sorts of ranges. I'm an in the temperate zone of the temperate zone.

TEMPERATE ZONE.....FUCK YEAH!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm in 6 which I consider a minor blessing as I can grown things in all sorts of ranges. I'm an in the temperate zone of the temperate zone.

TEMPERATE ZONE.....FUCK YEAH!

One of the positives of my former life in zone 7B was the ability to grow a variety of things. Seasons and shit.

These days my next door neighbor is Heat Miser and it has been a real adjustment for outdoor plantings. Inside too, really, even with a mild tint on the windows.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Mid 30s should be OK, some aloes can survive down into the mid 20s with no cold damage to the leaves. In fact some aloes need the lower temperature and winter light patterns to produce blooms. I would love to see this when it really steals the show. What grow zone are you in BTW? I'm in zone 5 so I have to keep my succulents inside for most of the year.

View attachment 100627
9 here. I know nothing about plants so kind of surprised it would be blooming right at the start of winter. Will post pics of how it turns out.

• 2Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Hey Mr_Bungle Mr_Bungle , I suspect this is just a weed that sprouted after a recent rainfall with a bunch of other weed seedlings I'm used to seeing, but this is a new one. Any idea what it is? I'm in Zone 10, southern California.

100_0094[1].JPG

• 1Like