The House Plants Thread

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
nsS7Q1S.jpg

I bough another peperomia today at the grocery store, I was debating whether or not to get an orchid instead. Speaking of orchids, edko edko any update on those orchids that you have?

tBDzTiI.jpg

7DJ8EUf.jpg

SEzKn3g.jpg

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I am hoping to avoid an encounter with the sting of a nettle.
I decided to ask Google about peeing because the only reason I could come up with that working would be if it was used to flush the site of the "sting". The pee on it reference is in the "other remedies" section of this infograph:
00578-3112201-A_chemistry_teacher_has_created_an_infographic_pictured_that_exp-a-4_1433504858836.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I peed on my the back of my girlfriend's thigh after she got stung by a jellyfish in Costa Rica. She says it helped the pain right away. We both laughed.

I'm not sure the science behind it. Maybe just because it is a warm bath of fluids? Maybe the urea contained in it actually does something? Mrs's post makes me think it may have all just been placebo.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think it's mostly debunked as a myth. If i remember it's the idea that jellyfish toxins are alkaline and urine is usually slightly acidic. It's the same reasoning as putting vinegar on flying bug stings. But that works partially because it's an astringent, too.

I can't really have houseplants with a cat. She either poops in them or eats them.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I peed on my the back of my girlfriend's thigh after she got stung by a jellyfish in Costa Rica. She says it helped the pain right away. We both laughed.

I'm not sure the science behind it. Maybe just because it is a warm bath of fluids? Maybe the urea contained in it actually does something? Mrs's post makes me think it may have all just been placebo.

Piss only works on Sea Urchin spines, and not all that well.Best thing for most poisonous sea critter stings is papaya enzyme. It quickly breaks down the proteins that make up nematocysts (stinger cells) and the toxins. Best handy source of papaya enzymes is powdered meat tenderizer.

1001029_021500010436_A_400.jpg

An over ripe Papaya works the best.

papaya-seeds-for-liver-health-999x576.jpg

source ~ been a surfer since my teens.

• 1Like

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll post these in parts. These are the outside orchids attaching to trees...or dying, maybe. Fickle bastards.

20161209_102033.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here's the orchid pics. Some are inside, some out. Some attached to trees. There are dormant ones and a couple blooms. Damn things are random as hell and I will never figure them out.

• 1Like

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Forgot one. This dude's "legs" have grown about 8 inches since Spring and is sprouting more green at the bottom. Strange mofo.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Here's the orchid pics. Some are inside, some out. Some attached to trees. There are dormant ones and a couple blooms. Damn things are random as hell and I will never figure them out.

Awesome pictures edko edko ! The 9th orchid attached to that tree has an incredible root system! Again thank your for posting those, this thread needed some orchids.

• 1Like

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Awesome pictures edko edko ! The 9th orchid attached to that tree has an incredible root system! Again thank your for posting those, this thread needed some orchids.

I put it on the tree facing due west but the bottom leaves have started turning more south-southwest. I think it likes the sun more than I thought it would. Some of these things don't want full subtropical radiation, some seem to love it. Again, they are mysteries.

Next time one blooms I will get a pic. I'm always curious, most of these haven't bloomed yet.

• 1Like

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Piss only works on Sea Urchin spines, and not all that well.Best thing for most poisonous sea critter stings is papaya enzyme. It quickly breaks down the proteins that make up nematocysts (stinger cells) and the toxins. Best handy source of papaya enzymes is powdered meat tenderizer.

View attachment 112159

An over ripe Papaya works the best.

papaya-seeds-for-liver-health-999x576.jpg

source ~ been a surfer since my teens.

We keep tenderizer on the boat. Man-O-Wars can really put a fucking on you. Witch Hazel seems to do ok in a pinch.

My cousin got lit up once and my grandfather grabbed bleach instead of ammonia by accident. Do not ever put bleach on stings. I will never forget the shrieking that kid did.

• 1Solidarity

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I found an old pine tree while walking about the woods this morning.

1eYCgoR.jpg

yGcoA6s.jpg

sqZtGXN.jpg

wI6PmSr.jpg

CCtZBOS.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Thing is bad ass.

And edko, iirc, orchid is the most diverse species of plant on earth. They vary so much that it is entirely possible that some of them love sun and others shade. I've only ever seen those tree-growing ones at the local botanical garden in the tropical dome. They are so cool looking. The roots are like wtf?

• 1Like

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thing is bad ass.

And edko, iirc, orchid is the most diverse species of plant on earth. They vary so much that it is entirely possible that some of them love sun and others shade. I've only ever seen those tree-growing ones at the local botanical garden in the tropical dome. They are so cool looking. The roots are like wtf?

My wife is really into them. There are huge orchid shows/sales down here and yeah, tons of varieties. She takes care of the potted ones and I grabbed the tree ones and threw them up to see what stuck with practically zero research. It is pretty cool watching them attach to the trees and do their thing. It's kind of addicting. I want more.

• 1Solidarity

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Sensitive little fucks, you have to sacrifice a puppy to get them all to bloom!
orchids.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users