The House Plants Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Hey Mr_Bungle Mr_Bungle , I suspect this is just a weed that sprouted after a recent rainfall with a bunch of other weed seedlings I'm used to seeing, but this is a new one. Any idea what it is? I'm in Zone 10, southern California.

View attachment 100706

I'm sorry Serpens Serpens I have no idea that plant is. I tried looking at a plant database for your zone. It could very well possibly be a non-native plant. If it produces any blooms that would greatly help any chances of identification.

The foliage looks like it is covered in a thin layer of hairs in the picture.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I'm sorry Serpens Serpens I have no idea that plant is. I tried looking at a plant database for your zone. It could very well possibly be a non-native plant. If it produces any blooms that would greatly help any chances of identification.

The foliage looks like it is covered in a thin layer of hairs in the picture.

Thanks for checking! Yes, there are small hairs running longitudinal between the veins. I'll keep it going and wait for flowers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Hey Mr_Bungle Mr_Bungle , I suspect this is just a weed that sprouted after a recent rainfall with a bunch of other weed seedlings I'm used to seeing, but this is a new one. Any idea what it is? I'm in Zone 10, southern California.

View attachment 100706

Sprouts and saplings are hard to identify. Leaf shape is a big thing but the arrangement of the leaves on the branch is also big. It would also help to know if what you are looking at is an herbaceous annual, a shrubby bush, an actual tree, or what.

So that is a serrated leaf structure with a parallel vein pattern. That can at least narrow it down for you. Next, I would want to know how the leaves arrange themselves on the branches as it grows. Also look to see if it has a singular trunk branch or several shrub-like trunks. Waiting for it to flower is still probably best, as Bungle says, because at least then you can know that you are dealing with an adult plant. But flowers themselves are highly malleable so I would still say leaves and branches are still the better bet to identification.

Protect it and see what it does. Take pics and keep us updated!

• 2Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Protect it and see what it does. Take pics and keep us updated!

Thanks, I'll do so.

Here is my jade plant in flower. I've neglected it for quite awhile, so after the flowering is done it will get a heavy pruning.

jade plant 1.jpg

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Thanks, I'll do so.

Here is my jade plant in flower. I've neglected it for quite awhile, so after the flowering is done it will get a heavy pruning.

View attachment 100813

Wow that is amazing! My Jade's are nowhere near that size nevermind being able to produce blooms yet. Thanks for posting that picture Serpens Serpens .

Also are you going to replant what material you prune? I have seen some walkways in California that have Jade hedges. Due to expert training

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Wow that is amazing! My Jade's are nowhere near that size nevermind being able to produce blooms yet. Thanks for posting that picture Serpens Serpens .

Also are you going to replant what material you prune? I have seen some walkways in California that have Jade hedges. Due to expert training

Nah, it's almost like a weed around here. Has survived my neglect and many years of drought, but I think it is spectacular during bloom so very worthwhile to have around.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I went on a walk today and found a very interesting fungus and a cool moss like ground covering.

IGiwWRv.jpg

gX1b2ni.jpg

CCDdhrU.jpg

VaVzNQV.jpg

WM78z8m.jpg

• 2Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>

View attachment 100706

Just for fun, I'm going to guess this is a lavender plant.

No real reason other than I like to watch Gardener's World, and I spotted a lavender seedling and it looked like this. Plus, being in a dry climate makes sense for lavender.

• 1Like

Mur

Trakanon Raider

Looks like stinging Nettle. Had them all over where I lived in SoCal.

• 2Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
It's heartbreaking when you learn the attractive snowflake you've been raising will turn out to be the spawn of Satan.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
But you can eat stinging nettles - very carefully but they are still edible.

• 1Like

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
It's heartbreaking when you learn the attractive snowflake you've been raising will turn out to be the spawn of Satan.

Well, its not a boring plant.

Urtica dioica - Wikipedia

Pretty interesting stuff there... and then off the link at the bottom.

Nettles have many folklore traditions associated with them. The folklore mainly relates to the stinging nettle (Urtica dioica), but the similar non-stinging Lamium may be involved in some traditions.[citation needed]

Handmade soap with the extract of stinging nettle
  • Nettles in a pocket will keep a person safe from lightning and bestow courage.[citation needed]
  • Nettles kept in a room will protect anyone inside.[citation needed]
  • Nettles are reputed to enhance fertility in men, and fever could be dispelled by plucking a nettle up by its roots while reciting the names of the sick man and his family.[citation needed]
Literature
Asian[edit]
Milarepa, the great Tibetan ascetic and saint, was reputed to have survived his decades of solitary meditation by subsisting on nothing but nettles; his hair and skin turned green and he lived to the age of 83.[8]

Caribbean[edit]
The Caribbean trickster figure Anansi appears in a story about nettles, in which he has to chop down a huge nettle patch in order to win the hand of the king's daughter.[9]

European[edit]
An old Scots rhyme about the nettle:

"Gin ye be for lang kail coo the nettle, stoo the nettle
Gin ye be for lang kail coo the nettle early
Coo it laich, coo it sune, coo it in the month o' June
Stoo it ere it's in the bloom, coo the nettle early
Coo it by the auld wa's, coo it where the sun ne'er fa's
Stoo it when the day daws, coo the nettle early."
(Old Wives Lore for Gardeners, M & B Boland)
Coo, cow, and stoo are all Scottish for cut back or crop (although, curiously, another meaning of "stoo" is to throb or ache), while "laich" means short or low to the ground.[10] Given the repetition of "early," presumably this is advice to harvest nettles first thing in the morning and to cut them back hard [which seems to contradict the advice of the Royal Horticultural Society].

A well-known English rhyme about the stinging nettle is:

Tender-handed, stroke a nettle,
And it stings you for your pains.
Grasp it like a man of mettle,
And it soft as silk remains.
In Hans Christian Andersen's fairy-tale "The Wild Swans," the princess had to weave coats of nettles to break the spell on her brothers.

Edit:

And that lead to me randomly reading up on stinging plants and JFC, does every single thing in Australia want to fuck you up?
Dendrocnide moroides - Wikipedia

The sting is infamously agonizing. Ernie Rider, who was slapped in the face and torso with the foliage in 1963, said "For two or three days the pain was almost unbearable; I couldn’t work or sleep, then it was pretty bad pain for another fortnight or so. The stinging persisted for two years and recurred every time I had a cold shower. ... There's nothing to rival it; it's ten times worse than anything else." However, the sting does not stop several small marsupial species, including the red-legged pademelon, insects and birds from eating the leaves.

Last edited:
  • 1Like