The Last of Us

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Alright "before electricity" is a stretch I'll admit after googling. But it's been happening since the Old West days...

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Actually naw I was right

Since years were counted with three digits.

I was looking at INDUSTRIAL oil refineries when I thought it was after electricity

Edit -- 20 years is a long time. 20 years ago we were raiding Lost Dungeons of Norrath and signing up for MySpace. Many of us didn't even own a cell phone.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Couldn't they potentially create some non-petroleum based machine lubricants, or simple lubricants from crude oil?

Even Ancient Rome/Greece had machine/axle lubricants that didn't involve petroleum

As for the dam itself, it wouldn't have to be running for the past 20 years. If they closed off the water flow to the turbines and let the water go through the overflow channels or what have you, then that would have potentially saved some wear on the turbines (although I suppose rust might become the new issue considering the relatively humid environment and lack of motion)

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In theory with an active farming operation, yeah they could fabricate low grade substitutes for lubrication. Two problems remain, however. First, even if you had a locked container of light bulbs from 20 years ago in mint condition, you would never replenish them so wasting them on shit like Xmas trees and random night lights is stupid, especially when you need things like spotlights for defense. The second someone pointed out which I had not considered is that the power from a typical hydrodam is way more than the town could use and you would need to rewire the grid so that you were both off the main power grid AND going through a transformer to downgrade the output to usable levels. As mentioned, the transformers are pretty typically not near these plants and the maintenance on the power lines would be a massive issue. Again, making the native guys in the mountains some kind of scavengers who traded with the town would have made hand waving a lot of shit like this away more plausible, but no one seems to have been thinking about that when this town got upgraded from the game from busted plant with a couple families to 500 man fully operational communist utopia in the TV show.

It does point to something that Angry Joe highlighted in his review of the show. The second half of the season is feeling very rushed, like they wanted 12 episodes but because WB is in a shit spiral they only bankrolled the nine. But at the same time they are keeping a lot of their backstory filler in (plus limiting action and stunt shots) so key touchpoints from the game are feeling overlooked or crammed in, while some of the new elements are not being executed carefully enough to fit in smoothly. The show did not really have this issue the first few episodes, but it started to feel rushed around the point where the KC events were being shown. I would have so much rather had an expanded show where season one was maybe all the way through KC and season two was the rest of the story. But we are racing towards Tranbro Gigantor's big debut, I guess.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It might take a year or three but after 20 years I'm confident I could get the fuckers working. If you lack confidence in yourself to follow a fucking manual then I feel bad for you.
Bro it takes more than an operational manual in this case.

I love these kinds of discussions but what you are actually doing is fitting a power generation system designed to feed into a greater system and redesigning it to feed to one town that used to be on that system.

This requires various complicated skills and understanding. Not just reading a manual or even being a electrician. You would need an extraordinary polymath kind of guy to do all of this with some level of competence.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
To be fair, since they are so close to the dam, it's possible that there are a few people in the colony who used to work at the power plant which would up the chances.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
One potential mistake or goof is that Tommy's wife says she was a DA before the apocalypse. Assuming she was about 30, she would be pushing 50 by now and is able to get pregnant. I know there are women who get pregnant at that age but it's super rare.

Edit: I'm assuming 30 at best, they generally tend to be older.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
One potential mistake or goof is that Tommy's wife says she was a DA before the apocalypse. Assuming she was about 30, she would be pushing 50 by now and is able to get pregnant. I know there are women who get pregnant at that age but it's super rare.

All black women are lawyers regardless of age. Stop being a bigot

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
firsttime.gif

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Think BrutulTM BrutulTM hit on the other portion that's more likely to fail than the generator, which has been ignored while you all sperge out about this, and that's the power lines.

And more than that, the power grid. The way our grid is designed is that if something fails, the whole thing shuts off.

If they disconnected it from the grid, I'm curious who the fucking electrician is that setup the transformer to step down the power that the giant dam is producing. I can't imagine megawatts and 10's of thousands of volts are super useful for a town of 500 people.

And while I know the theory behind transformers (coiling copper wire), the likelihood that they have someone who not only can do that, but find the resources to do it, and get the correct wattage and voltage is pretty fucking low.

Dude what are you talking about? You just run a really long extension cord from the hydro plant to your house, and you've got apocalypsetricity. A child could do this.

• 1Worf

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Even without the internet, yes, I'm pretty sure that after trying for 20 years that humans could get it running again. How little faith do you have in your fellow man? There's a university just a few day's ride away for textbooks.

IRL footage of pharmakos explaining to the retards how he can do this, complete with end result:

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Of all the possible derails I didn’t expect turbines. How about the fact they inexplicably made Joel seem like a pussy scared of his health and freezing up, basically begging Tommy to take her? Actual Joel would have never acted like that. Shit infuriated me, complete needless deviation from the game.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Uhh he wasn't scared for his health, he is scared of losing Ellie. And Joel did try to give Ellie over to Tommy in the game for the same reasons. The fuck show are you people watching?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

velk

Trakanon Raider

It was ADA, not DA - I thought that they might be younger, but some reason ADA seems to average much older than the actual DA.

I wonder what's up with that ?