The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
You have to find them yourself. Eventually after about 90ish or 95ish I went to the interwebs for help finding a few. After that point most of them were the ones where the actual puzzle is getting them to appear.

Also, Xadion, there will be two other shrines involving snowballs. Just a tip for the future, blast those fuckers with fire arrows. It works a lot faster than just standing around with a fire weapon, believe me.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Or just make fires? Put down a couple of bundles of wood light them on fire... and make a fire trail to keep it close to the big block of ice. Takes way less time than just standing there with a fire sword.

Siliconemelons

I know to make fires... I just, for whatever reason hate using components... I don't know why... maybe the first parts of the game made me a resource hog - fire weapons let me melt them without using anything up - ffs I steal back my apples once I put them in the cups to get little poops from degenerated wood elfs.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
hit 80 Shrines, 81 because I just decided to explore the ancient temple - as I was looking for the Spring of Power -- watched the memories in order to see if they give hints - the one before it is the castle/zeldas tower memory, then the one after it is the horse memory were she is going to go to the last spring - wisdom...so the memories do not give any indication really of where power (or courage) is.. but they are generally around where the dragons can spawn- I found the fire one again wondering the cavern between areas - got a scale and claw - still searching for the spring lol- even scouring the map and checking out any neat little water formation only has resulted me in fucking korok seeds - fuck those things... anyone else love picking up a rock, getting a seed then DROPPING THE ROCK ON ITS FUCKING HEAD! "Outch!"
For the different springs, there are side quests tied to each one—generally an NPC saying, "the Spring of X is near by, you should go see it"—so if you just make sure to talk to people at the towns and stables, you'll eventually get pointed in the right direction.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
hit 80 Shrines, 81 because I just decided to explore the ancient temple - as I was looking for the Spring of Power -- watched the memories in order to see if they give hints - the one before it is the castle/zeldas tower memory, then the one after it is the horse memory were she is going to go to the last spring - wisdom...so the memories do not give any indication really of where power (or courage) is.. but they are generally around where the dragons can spawn- I found the fire one again wondering the cavern between areas - got a scale and claw - still searching for the spring lol- even scouring the map and checking out any neat little water formation only has resulted me in fucking korok seeds - fuck those things... anyone else love picking up a rock, getting a seed then DROPPING THE ROCK ON ITS FUCKING HEAD! "Outch!"

Most dumbfuckery korok seed was one frozen in a HHHHUUUUUGGGGEEEEE ice block - took like 10min to melt, I just used my fire sword and stood next to it, but still...

Most dumbfuckery shrine? This one up on a frozen mount near gurudo land and up on the mount that cradles that southern maze - you read some journal about the cold shadow on the spire or someshit...

you have to make a snowball JJUUUSSSTTT big enough to hold still - then make an rune ice pillar in the furthest little pond - with your snowball on top, climb up, pick the snowball up and then wait for your stupid snowball shadow to pass the rune/ancient circle thing on the side of the mountain.

I picked up a snowball off the ground held up while standing on the cliff near the burnt house and two minutes later it casts shadow on that Dias. I didn't find it that complicated.

The most retarded one I found was the one where you have to be standing naked (no armour or weapons) on the dias when a blood moon triggers for the shrine to appear. I afk'ed for hours on that spot and every time it stopped raining I relit the campfire and leaped forward one day to get the moon to rise again.

Siliconemelons

I picked up a snowball off the ground held up while standing on the cliff near the burnt house and two minutes later it casts shadow on that Dias. I didn't find it that complicated.

The most retarded one I found was the one where you have to be standing naked (no armour or weapons) on the dias when a blood moon triggers for the shrine to appear. I afk'ed for hours on that spot and every time it stopped raining I relit the campfire and leaped forward one day to get the moon to rise again.

Well - see I did it different (and lol more complicated haha dumb me), yet able to do it... you remember the shrine that had 2 rooms with pools of water and 3 orbs floating on the water and you had to get 1 in the "basket" in the corner...well the real solution was use magnet to bring up the giant cup container in the water and scoop a ball and drop it in... well... umm... I am retarded and didn't think of checking for metal... so what did I do? I summoned an ice pillar under a ball - time froze it and played golf..

It is amazing how there are not necessarily "many solutions" there is most likely only 1 "made" solution for each thing - but the system and world let you do whatever you can within the system to get it to work, and it still works - there is no artificial stop block to it.

LOL the bloodmoon one, I will have to find it-- I was at a stable where a dude was talking about the blood moon very emphatically- figured it was "something useful" and ported back over once I saw the blood moon rising - and all the dude did was run around like a mad man saying "BLOOD BLOOD!!!" lol

Siliconemelons

For the different springs, there are side quests tied to each one—generally an NPC saying, "the Spring of X is near by, you should go see it"—so if you just make sure to talk to people at the towns and stables, you'll eventually get pointed in the right direction.

I will have to talk to more people around the area- I just do not like talking because I hate having sub quests stack up...if I get one I have to do it..I know stupid OCD...so I have avoided talking to people with (!) because some of them give you the quest w/o you accepting.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I will have to talk to more people around the area- I just do not like talking because I hate having sub quests stack up...if I get one I have to do it..I know stupid OCD...so I have avoided talking to people with (!) because some of them give you the quest w/o you accepting.
Oh yeah, I don't want to spoil it for you, in case you want the whole exploration element, but I feel I should mention this much, just so you aren't wasting a ton of time chasing a red herring. The red dragon is a weird one, in that—to the best of my knowledge—it never goes anywhere near its associated spring. At least, I've not seen it do it. So you can't really use him to triangulate that spring.

Siliconemelons

So I was wondering around (still....) and I was looking off into the distance and saw a odd green glow - i was like WOOT maybe its glowing for some reason - I hit it with a marker - looked on my map, wtf I have been there... fine whatever... teleport over run there, wtf is this - look tons of those glowing rabbits, time to shoot them and get some mooonnaa....wwhhaaatt is that? a glowing...horse...moose...wtf is this shit... oh yah! ima ride this bitch! eat me some sta foods! sneaky sneak - jump boom! your mine now! why does this horse have no horse head and 2 faces...whatever... never ending stamina horse go! woot... where is the nearest stable..okay.. WTF YOU CANT REGISTER THE LORD OF THE MOUNTAIN!? okay I know where I can leave it, maybe its an easter egg find, RUN ALL THE WAY ACCROSS THE ENTIRE MAP to my house, put it in the stable - go out and turn around to take a picture - click - and then it poofs... what the fuck nintendo... reload game.. try again... if you get off the thing for like 15-20secs, it wonders off and then vanishes... this is like getting a super korok poop yo.

and it yet again distracted me from my quest for this stupid spring! haha oh well, I suppose that IS the game, and it was fun even if I dont get to keep the mutant horse thing.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Need confirmation from our resident marine biologist, would think that's the blow sack of an octopus, not testicles. Nonetheless. Lul.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
This game has the stuff MMOs need.

I know that's probably impossible to do, but I'm just putting it out there.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I know others have said this, but it does have an early EQ-vibe. I love that you're dropped into a huge, mysterious world with little direction as to where you can safely go, yet you can go just about anywhere as long as you manage to not get killed. And you will get killed. A lot. Also like in EQ, it's certainly possible to break and kill off tougher camps of enemies with a little creativity, but one small mistake can just as easily get you slaughtered.

And it's insanely addicting. I've played most of the 3D Zelda games, but have never come close to finishing any of them. They just didn't pull me in. I could happily plop my ass down for hours straight with this game if only real life was less demanding.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I hate all of you, my resistance of getting a switch is failing. Luckily, it is out of stock almost everywhere.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just beat my last divine beast this afternoon. I wanted to hold out on my opinion until I played the game some. Since the next main step is to go to the castle and finish the game, I figure now is a good time. I like the game for what it is, but for a Zelda game, I find it lacking. I would rank it as my least favorite Zelda game outside the portables. Not really a fan of Spirit Tracks. Only Zelda game I never bothered finishing. And prior to this, Skyward Sword was my least favorite, but that was mainly due to the dungeons.

I'm a huge Zelda fan. Grew up on it, but I don't know.... there's parts of this game that I think are truly great, but if I were to go home and beat it right now, it would be fairly forgettable. I wouldn't be thinking of it a week from now.

For me, it's missing something intangible that was present in the rest.

My ranking:

A Link to the Past
Majora's Mask
Legend of Zelda
Ocarina of Time
Twilight Princess
Windwaker
Adventure of Link
Skyward Sword
Breath of the Wild

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
This game belongs nowhere near the bottom of that list.

I will agree to a general lack of Zeldaness in two areas:

Music (nearly all of the epic stuff is saved for the castle at the end)
Lack of traditional dungeon-crawling

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am 146 hours into the game and almost done with it. I just beat Ganon, found 114 shrines and will use the guide to find the last six ones I missed then I'll find the last armor set and be done.

For me this will be the watermark for all Zelda games, Nintendo games and open world games. I played this in every available moment I've had since March 3rd and only in the last zone (Hebra Mountains, large zone, lots of mountains to climb, snow so you walk slow, cold so you can only wear a couple outfits) did I feel like doing something else. The game was a blast.

Only gripe I had with the game:
Dark Souls has spoiled me. I wish I had to learn the bosses in the game before beating them, after all there are only very few of them. I was armed like an attack helicopter to kill Ganon yet it took only the Master Sword and a claymore and he was done. I understand that Zelda games are made to be beaten, but still it was very anticlimatic. Liked the castle though, and the cutscenes.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is it a better game than Skyward Sword? Yes
Do I enjoy it more? Eh, I don't think so

Shrines are fine. Divine beasts are fine. But it really needs some dungeons.

Also tired of the repeating Ganon story. At this point I'm kinda rooting for the dude. At least he's persistent.

Music is hit and miss. Zora town is nice, as well as a few others. But it's lacking an iconic track, or something to unify the game such as
or

Last edited: