The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
I know to make fires... I just, for whatever reason hate using components... I don't know why... maybe the first parts of the game made me a resource hog - fire weapons let me melt them without using anything up - ffs I steal back my apples once I put them in the cups to get little poops from degenerated wood elfs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I think I agree with the others in regards to the lack of dungeons. I guess the Divine Beasts were essentially the dungeons of the game. Since there are only 4, you have 120 shrines so that was supposed to offset the feel but if there was anything I loved about Zelda 1 and Link to the Past, were the dungeons. I think they would have been able to include more of the old school monsters and items that way. I'm really being picky as I loved the game and still continue to play it just to wonder around and kill stuff. I don't think the game has a real replay value like previous Zelda's but one thing they did right and maybe the best of any game i've played are the extras.

I really enjoy(ed) the dragons, Lyonels, seeds, and all the other stuff i'm still seeing pop up on YouTube that I have either missed or simply haven't had time to complete it yet.

I'm not sure how the DLC's are going to work out though. Anything they add isn't going to add to the completion/fulfillment of the game. It's been beat and unless they do something like Diablo II did with Baal, I just don't see any reason to put down the cash for hard mode and side stuff.

I've had more fun playing through the game with my son. Doing the puzzles together and exploring has been a really cool old-school gaming feel. I know people probably prefer the Destiny, CoD, Mass Effects, GTA's, etc. of the world but BoTW is the type of console game I've really been missing.

If Nintendo (Konami/Capcom) would only pull their heads out of their butts and make a Metroid, Castlevania, Mega Man, Kid Icarus, etc. we can keep this train going.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Ehh DLC will be story expansion - there is a lot they could do...

Heck they could very easily make a large scale DLC that would be dungeons - they could make it "Zelda II" fairly easy with the Yiga clan seeking Link and or Zelda's blood to resurrect Ganon.

As almost everything has a reason to be there - most of it is because there is a stupid seed there... there are many things that still could use some exploring.

I am 89 Shrines in and all memories and have defeated Ganon a few times - I do not care for the real ending, the added scene actually makes it worse imo. The music was good! Why in this Zelda game do they HIDE all the good music and only give you the stuff you have been waiting for at the END...

I am starting to do some side quests, they are making it fun still - like getting the royal horse, that was cool.

As for replay - as you said, it is ironic that the biggest and open world Zelda may actually have less replay than the others... maybe because there IS so much to do the idea of re doing it all is daunting?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't get how the extra scene makes it worse.

Agree on the idea of replaying being daunting, though.

Siliconemelons

re: real ending scene

Ehh... I will admit I am western and eastern story telling sometimes annoys me - although I have seen my fair share of anime's etc. I get how things are done - a lot of the story is observed... on the "basic" ending Zelda asks "But do you really know me?" it fades credits roll ... you get the castle scene with the king and 4 heroes spirits finally being free - Link and Zelda together walk off to face the tasks at hand... done... the rest is up to you.

The "good" ending its the same - they had a YUGE chance here to break the silly "link does not talk" rule - that they even poked fun at in some scenes - and clearly show that Link DOES talk - read Zelda diary- they could have put in one phrase at the end scene there that would have been awesome to have link simply say "I do remember"

The extended scene showing them off adventuring or whatever again - Zelda took back the slate - and back into her old self (that lead to the complete failure in the first place) - the mention of she cannot hear the sword is stupid, it only spoke to her at the very end to save link, then sat in the forest healing - its a unneeded hold over from skyward sword, its not like she sat there having conversations with the sword over the 100 years while she was suppressing ganon. Then they just wonder off, Zelda still obsessed with ancient tech.

So I do not know, maybe because of the odd order I got the memories in - and filled in the rest on my own I created a "better" or "more to my liking" story - and what it was, was not up to my expectations.

But well Zelda always has had a fairly fly by night story...so whatevers :p

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Finally finished the game, and on the whole, fuck it was good. I play a lot of open world games, and this is damn near the top of the pile, maybe even the best one I've played. Sure, dungeons could've been more substantial, and could've had more aesthetic diversity, and the Rito quest arc could've been fleshed out a bit more, but still awesome on the whole.

Really hope other open-world game devs have been taking notes on this one. There's a laundry list of BotW features that, if I don't see them replicated in Elder Scrolls VI, I'm going to be a little pissed.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
anyone know how to do the glitch that allows you to keep the "bow of light" princess zelda lets you use?

this dude that was showing off this momentum glitch on facebook had it equipped he didnt really explain how just that it was a memory glitch similar to one found in OOT with the master sword.

Video for reference, if you wanna see the momentum glitch

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I cannot believe the game didn't just straight up crash with that last part.

Siliconemelons

LOL there are some insane things to do in this game.

I am 99 shrines found with no guides - i think about 16 of those left are quest ones - so I am going to start systematically doing all the sidequests starting in the race citys then stables - there is the birds notebook that I am going to check first to make sure I got all his.

It is still fun to just wonder - what stinks is Lynel's sometimes are an entire master sword +2 weapons to kill and you only get 1 to replace :/

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I haven't really read this thread because I had to wait to play this and I didn't want it spoiled. But let me just say, this game is fucking amazingly well put together. I'm just blown away at the kind of attention to fun and detail they put into this title. It's really unlike any other Zelda.

Still not even very far in. Nintendo should not have released this game on the Wii U honestly, not if they really wanted to move the Switch. This is a MUST play game.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I haven't really read this thread because I had to wait to play this and I didn't want it spoiled. But let me just say, this game is fucking amazingly well put together. I'm just blown away at the kind of attention to fun and detail they put into this title. It's really unlike any other Zelda.

Still not even very far in. Nintendo should not have released this game on the Wii U honestly, not if they really wanted to move the Switch. This is a MUST play game.
I don't recall reading every page of the thread, so please forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I think what makes this game incredible is the same reason the Dark Souls games are incredible - consistent systems and rules that apply to everything within the game.

It's subtle so it's easy to overlook, but consistency is something that almost every other game lacks. Here's a few quick fire examples from the past ~30 years of vidya games:

1) Player takes fall damage. NPCs do not.
2) Player does 1/4 of the damage of NPCs using the same weapon.
3) An object works 1 way in a given situation but does not work the same way in the same situation at a different time/point in the game.
4) Some objects are subject to the games' physics while others are not.

Undoubtedly there are examples of the above list within BotW, but I can't think of any off the top of my head, and I think that's why the game is special and stands out. There are so many opportunities for the player to feel clever and flex their creativity. Almost every other game is binary - you solve a puzzle using the designed solution. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with that, but it's very limiting and certainly doesn't engender as strong of an "Aha!" feeling.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I still haven't beaten it but I've only got a couple dozen shrines and Ganon left. Hopefully other studios use BotW as an inspiration for their open world games and don't dismiss it as a one off.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I saw a guy streaming who did Gerudo Tower differently to me. I used Cryo twice to make platforms to hop across the tar lake, he was stacking iron crates up to make platforms. Honestly I hardly used Cryo and Stasis, I did a lot of Magnesis at the start then was lazy with climbing and weapons.

Siliconemelons

I saw a guy streaming who did Gerudo Tower differently to me. I used Cryo twice to make platforms to hop across the tar lake, he was stacking iron crates up to make platforms. Honestly I hardly used Cryo and Stasis, I did a lot of Magnesis at the start then was lazy with climbing and weapons.

thought you couldn't cryno tar water?