The Magicians

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Man this season is way the fuck all over the place. One scene will be amazing, the next will have me completely "wtf who wrote this?" Or they'll have both in the same scene, like the battle against Martin (the special effects for Alice's magic missiles were terrible, and what the fuck was with Elliot and Margo just sitting behind a rock providing running commentary the whole time? But it definitely got some feels going when Alice is charging up her spell and going niffin to that dramatic music).

I will say this - they lucked the hell out with their casting. This show could so easily have slipped into awfulness if the cast weren't nailing so much of the acting.

Yeah they seem to be pretty weird about how they adapt certain plotlines, compared to the books. I guess because they need to keep multiple POV's running? It still feels like they could have tightened things up a lot, even taking budgetary concerns (hell, they could probably save money by not wasting it on stupid pointless additional sub-plots like "riddle games with Fogg's ex").

In fairness, it is kind of hard to imagine what he'd wish for in his current state. But it is a shame, because Quentin's recovery after Alice's death and his hunt for the magical animal to take him home is extremely poignant in the books, really brilliant stuff even though I didn't really like book 1 the first time I read it.

But in the show we get Quentin bouncing back in a few weeks (which feel like 5 minutes) then off on weird wacky hijinks running around Stoner Forest with Penny. Then he catches the White Lady and he's all grieving again? Hopefully they handle his return to Earth a bit better. But it feels like the show is constantly bouncing around in terms of tone, losing a lot of the emotional resonance the books had and not really gaining much in return other than humor (Penny's line about shooting the White Lady was gold, so was Ember's convo with Martin at the Wellspring).

also:
Yeah, it bothered me that they condensed years worth of magic training, character development, weapons and leadership training, and personal growth during a quest that spanned the entire world of Fillory into a 15 minute fumble through a weed forest. I understand why they did it, but it is an important part of the story for a few reasons one of which being the Q comes back to Earth a much more powerful magic user. I don't know how they're going to deal with that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I know I'm nitpicking, but I can't get over the fact that Julia has no problem chilling in the same room where she was raped and everyone was murdered. It's almost like the studio didn't have enough money for more X-Men!

Margo still had some of the best lines. "Shittiest. Security. Ever."

• 1Like

Maul

Dental Dammer
I've never really considered eating an asshole before then along comes a show with 4 members who I would go there with Margo, Julia, Alice and Elliott.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You've never found that special someone. If you're going to eat pussy, you might as well eat ass as well. It's RIGHT THERE after all.

gloryhole.jpg

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Seeing that girl look like Alice as she got out of the shower was pretty great. Definitely her best scene thus far.

I doubt she's dead forever. At least I hope not.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Good episode. Margo's reaction to being called the Virgin Queen was pretty lol.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I know I'm nitpicking, but I can't get over the fact that Julia has no problem chilling in the same room where she was raped and everyone was murdered. It's almost like the studio didn't have enough money for more X-Men!
I was thinking a similar thing during those scenes.. like, if you are hiding from reynard, wouldnt that be a shitty spot? i suppose he doesnt want to kill julia with her carryong his kid, so maybe hes not even looking for her.. but still.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Well, he did let her live. It isn't like he tried to kill her and was stopped by something. He probably doesn't care about her at the moment so long as she remains a vessel for his progeny. Reynard's plans for that woman who banished him may be telling. If we find out his primary concern was to track down his child, then it probably fits into some larger plan of his (much like Julia's child probably will).

• 1Like

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I'm positive they will hamfist said baby to turn out to be a show regular. Place your bets now!

The incident was 40 years ago, so:
  • Dean Fogg
  • Mayakovski
  • Alice's dad
  • Quentin's dad

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Oh, yea, that seems almost guaranteed to me. The way she said it, and that the baby didn't even know, highly suggests it's someone we already know. If demigods are automatically good at magic, it could be any of those people easily. Hell, it's foggy now, but weren't the Chatwins both adopted? It could have been Martin (the Beast) even.

edit: and if it were somehow Martin, then Reynard finds out and gets angry with the others for killing him and now he's their new villain too.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

All we would know is the baby would be 40 yrs old at this point and is a male. It couldn't be Martin, because he was born back in the 1930s afaik.

Old enough to be one of the Brakebills gang's father in theory, although he would have had to had an early start (fathering them in his teens).

Out of everyone on that list, Mayakovski would probably be the most likely candidate. His current position would also make him receptive to what Reynard might be offering. I would imagine being the son of a god would have its perks from a magical perspective, although I would have to assume that it would have a very dark cost. Even odds that if he did accept what Reynard was selling, that love sick girl at Quentin's office would eventually end up dead as some sort of blood sacrifice. It could potentially be that what Reynard does actually helps fuel his power.

• 1Like

Noah

Molten Core Raider
didnt quentin & alice turn into foxes during their training? maybe unrelated

• 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
If I remember the books correctly, and I probably don't, all of this stuff about Reynard and a son is completely new for the TV show which I like.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
If I remember the books correctly, and I probably don't, all of this stuff about Reynard and a son is completely new for the TV show which I like.

Correct. Reynard shows up in the second and third books, but his storyline is significantly different than the television show so far.

Book 2: Julia distracts Reynard as he is killing everyone by offering herself as a sacrifice to save her friend, Asmodeous. She thinks he is going to kill her, instead, he rapes her and takes her soul/humanity. The 'scene' from the book is as follows...
Julia was ready to die — she closed her eyes and let her head fall back, baring her throat for Him to rip it out. But He didn’t. His hairy hands were on her. He dragged her across the room and forced her upper body down so she was bent over the yew table. Julia didn’t understand, and then she did and she wished she hadn’t.

She fought Him. He pinned her torso on the wood with one hard, heavy hand, and she tore at his fingers but they were like stone. She had agreed, but she hadn’t agreed to this. Let Him kill her if He wanted. It hurt when He tore her robe off — the fabric burned against her skin. She tried to look behind her at what was happening, and she saw — no, no, she didn’t see that, she saw nothing — the god’s big hand working casually between His legs as He positioned Himself behind her. He kicked her bare feet apart with a practiced kick. This wasn’t His first time at the rodeo.

Then He pushed Himself inside her. She had wondered if He would be too big, if He would tear her open and leave her gutted and flopping like a fish. She strained against Him. Exhausted, she rested her hot forehead on her arm in what she supposed was the manner of rape victims since the beginning of time. Her own hoarse panting was the only sound.

It took a long time It was not a timeless period; she didn’t pass out or lose track of time. She would have said it took between seven and ten minutes for the god to finish raping her, and she was there for every second of it. From her vantage point she could see Failstaff’s thick legs on the floor, not moving anymore, overlapping Gummidgy’s long brown ones, and she could see where the two who had died by the door lay, a huge continent of blood having flowed out from under the stone block and joined into one shape.

Better me than Asmo. She couldn’t see Asmodeus, because she couldn’t look at her, but she could hear her. She was crying loudly. She sounded like the little girl she still essentially was, a little girl who had lost her way. Where was home for her? Who were here parents? Julia didn’t even know. Hot tears flowed down Julia’s cheeks too, and slicked her arm, and wet the brown wood.

The only other noises were those made by Reynard the Fox, the trickster-god, grunting softly and hoarsely behind her. At one point a couple of rebel nerve endings attempted to send pleasure signals to her brain, whereupon her brain burned them out with a pulse of neuro-chemical electricity, never to feel again…The fox-god barked loudly when He came. She felt it. The terrible, unspeakable thing, which she would never tell anybody, not even herself, was that it felt wonderful. Not in a sexual way — God, no. But it filled her up with power. It flowed into every part of her, up through her trunk, down her legs, and out through her arms. She clenched her teeth and shut her eyes to try and stop it, but it even reached her brain, lighting her up from within with divine energy. She opened her eyes and watched it fill her hands. When it reached the tips of her fingers her fingernails glowed.

And then He took something from her. As He withdrew His penis from her, something came out with it. It was like it caught on something — a transparent film, it felt like, something inside her, the same shape as her. It was something invisible that had been with her always, and Reynard ripped it away. She didn’t know what it was, but she felt it go, and she shuddered when she felt it. Without it she was something different, something other than what she had been before. Reynard had given her power, and taken something in payment that she would have died rather than give up. But she didn’t get to choose.

The magical blade that they were going to use to kill Martin in the show is stolen from an art collector in Book 3, by Asmodeous, when she double-crosses the other magic users she is working with. The only other point we hear about Reynard the Fox is at the end of Book 3 when we are told by
A Final Form Julia
that Asmodeous hunted down Reynard and killed him with the knife.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
It would be a bit convoluted, but martin being 'born' in the 30s is irrelevant, potentially. Time works odd in Fillory, and we have already seen there is time travel spells.
That lady said she took steps to make sure the kid would have no idea who his dad is. id say sending him back in time and getting adopted would cover the tracks pretty well.
Idk, just feels like symbolically Martin would be a good fit to be his son, so i might be stretching. Anyone else just seems like it wouldnt make much sense, just a 'oh lol btw im a demigod? kewl!'

• 1Like

Cybsled

Seems like a heavy stretch. "Btw, I gave birth to my son and sent him back in time over 80 years. But get this, not only did I do that, but I also cast powerful magic on the Chatwins so they would recognize him as their own kid or sibling!"

• 1Like