The Mandalorian

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I'm not a star wars nerd but i'm guessing when he was abducted- the huge blue light beam sitting on the stone sending a message to all other Jedi in the universe thing helped luke locate him. I guess that got him close enough and then he could sense the "bad people" and other force users within a certain proximity.
There's definitely a little plot hole. Once they had Grogu, Gideon's cruiser jumped to lightspeed and out of the system. Even if Luke went to Tython I don't see how he'd have any idea where to go next. But I've never been one to nitpick Star Wars, so didn't diminish the episode for me at all.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

bo Kattan will not accept the sword..BECAUSE Sabine gave it to her......and subsequently LOST it to gidean/whomever...

Previously -supposedly only won from battle. Now the belief, now reinforced by her loss previously, is that she HAS to win in battle or be a "fake"...

Loved the episode. And blind waves reaction vid was awesone

Ya, that makes more sense. Bo Kattan being given the sword twice, and presumably defeated by Moth Gideon once, would call into question her ability to be ruler.

The moment he opened his fake mouth and the words didn't sync up to his lips they lost my old bitter ass. I looked over at my 8 year old son and he was loving that shit, so I guess they got what they were going for and I need to suck it the fuck up.

It was fine for what it was. Your only options are find a young Mark Hamill lookalike who can act, or basically recreate young Mark Hamill with technology. The first option is risky because just like the uncanny valley option, people are going to be able to detect the differences between new actor and early 80s Mark Hamill. I think ultimately people are more forgiving of the technology option, because it actually is Mark Hamill's image.

But as others have posted, I'm surprised they didn't just hire some of the expert deepfakers to help out. As long as the actor has a somewhat close resemblance and facial shape to the person you are trying to insert into the deepfake, then it usually does a pretty good job vs. going a pure CGI route.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
in empire strikes back, Luke finds Han and Leia on bespin by meditating... Luke "hears the call" meditates...goes to 1st planet. No grogu, meditates again, finds location, travels to new local

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No, CGI Luke looked terrible in motion. That wasn't just you. Its been said before but some nobodies in a basement can deepfake
AOC giving a blowjob but ILM can't get it right.

Its embarrassing

• 1Garbage

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There were probably a limited pool of people they could get to work on this and not have it leak. You guys are a bunch of joyless mother fuckers, btw.

• 9Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
There's definitely a little plot hole. Once they had Grogu, Gideon's cruiser jumped to lightspeed and out of the system. Even if Luke went to Tython I don't see how he'd have any idea where to go next. But I've never been one to nitpick Star Wars, so didn't diminish the episode for me at all.
I figured once Grogu did the astral projection shit or whatever, at that point Luke could track him. Asoka or whatever told him he had to go the relic, not sit there indefinitely.
Anyways, seeing this as a plot hole is a bit of a reach imho, there are bigger things to mumble over if you really want to go edgelord.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
How do most bros here feel about prequel Yoda?

I know a lot of neckbeards complained that Yoda being an athletic savant was dumb, and him flipping around all over the place with a little lightsaber was nonsense. I disagree. I actually like the fact that Master Yoda was a fucking badass Jedi. yeah the old wise master who is cunning and reserved is cool and fits him as well, but there is nothing wrong with the notion of him not only being a threat, but a force to be reckoned with. I mean, how would he have the gravitas to assume the mantle of leader and master if he was utterly handicapped and unable to effectively fight? Yeah he is an incredible force user, which kind of trumps fighting prowess (see Sidious) but the added allure of him being a acrobatic badass when he needs to was awesome IMO.

Which brings us to Grogu. He has already shown proficiency in the force, but do you guys think he will end up becoming a fully fledged Jedi who also is capable of wielding a lightsaber?

edit: Its been a while since I talked about lightsabers and postulated about jedi prowess and different scenarios etc. Feelsgoodman.

I disagree, force flipping Yoda looked silly and imo further cheapened the whole idea of 'the force'. Go take a look at the finale of Mandalorian again. What don't you see? You don't see Luke flipping around like an autistic gymnast on coke. There is no dumb super speed force twirls and bullshit. Hell, he doesn't even move fast or run in the ENTIRE sequence--he walks, slowly, the whole time.

And yet, the dude looked unstoppable, didn't he? They made him walk like he just knew where the bullets were going to be--as if each step was predetermined because he already knew where he had to be to win. That is the kind of stuff I originally thought the 'force' allowed Jedi masters to do. With every step the force would guide them into the perfect position to defend or attack, and the more powerful the wielder, the more effortless it would look.

IMO, the way they did Luke in this episode was a perfect example of how they should have shown powerful Jedi. Yoda shouldn't even have had a lightsaber. Dude should have been calmly side stepping Sidious's swipes and then using his cane to send him flying with some super force push between calm, even slow movements (Highlighting how he was actually a few steps ahead of anything Sidious could do). IMO, that would have looked better. (Hell, in the originals I kind of thought once a knight achieved a certain level, they gave up their sabers and became like Wizards or something--don't know, but imo, that slow, methodical look is a lot more Jedi like)

• 11Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 13 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Mandalorian has a pretty diverse cast. Also Filoni and Favreau have no problems with girl power... They just do it in a way where it's not forced on you. We just had a final episode where 4 female characters took over a starship. KK has no reason to step in and force more stuff into the show.

The difference is that its not girl power. Its just powerful characters who happen to be girls. Meanwhile, most of Hollywood has been creating characters that are powerful BECAUSE they are girls. Those two things are not at all the same. The latter is ridiculous and supremely hypocritical if your goal is 'equality' (If anything it forces people to stop and actually think about the reality of gender, which attacks that suspension of disbelief that allows you to see a 100lb woman tossing around a 200lbs man and think its fine.)

When you just make a character and being a girl is simply a small part of who she is--her being strong becomes quite natural. I mean, think of how ridiculous a male hero would be if they were obsessed with being a man? If anything, male heroes who do obsess over that quality are cast as villains or idiots--because it shows they are small minded and shallow (They only care about projecting a superficial aspect of themselves, IE what's between their legs). Hollywood has written women..intentionally...like it writes buffoonish male characters and is shocked when people reject them. (And then you get idiots on these forums that believe they are rejected because everyone magically became sexist).

But if characters like Ashoka or Bo-Katan illustrate anything, its that people will embrace a good character who happens to be female. And Filoni actually did a lot of work to make Ashoka likable. I think this video illustrates it well--how Filoni gave Ashoka flaws and then punished her for them and had her grow. That growth, especially in terms of her coming to respect and admire the established characters, endeared her to the fans.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I disagree, force flipping Yoda looked silly and imo further cheapened the whole idea of 'the force'. Go take a look at the finale of Mandalorian again. What don't you see? You don't see Luke flipping around like an autistic gymnast on coke. There is no dumb super speed force twirls and bullshit. Hell, he doesn't even move fast or run in the ENTIRE sequence--he walks, slowly, the whole time.

And yet, the dude looked unstoppable, didn't he? They made him walk like he just knew where the bullets were going to be--as if each step was predetermined because he already knew where he had to be to win. That is the kind of stuff I originally thought the 'force' allowed Jedi masters to do. With every step the force would guide them into the perfect position to defend or attack, and the more powerful the wielder, the more effortless it would look.

IMO, the way they did Luke in this episode was a perfect example of how they should have shown powerful Jedi. Yoda shouldn't even have had a lightsaber. Dude should have been calmly side stepping Sidious's swipes and then using his cane to send him flying with some super force push between calm, even slow movements (Highlighting how he was actually a few steps ahead of anything Sidious could do). IMO, that would have looked better. (Hell, in the originals I kind of thought once a knight achieved a certain level, they gave up their sabers and became like Wizards or something--don't know, but imo, that slow, methodical look is a lot more Jedi like)

I like the idea of Yoda as Mister Miyagi, calmly side-stepping his opponents and using their weight against them. To me that indicates "true master" a lot more than doing all kinds of flips does. Episode 2 Yoda was just a victim of the same fighting style that plagued everyone in Episode 3, the flashy "swing a lot at nothing because it looks cool while bouncing off of everything like a pinball" style.

No, CGI Luke looked terrible in motion. That wasn't just you. Its been said before but some nobodies in a basement can deepfake
AOC giving a blowjob but ILM can't get it right.

Its embarrassing

Wait, there's a deepfake of AOC giving a blowjob? ...I gotta go

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1EyeRoll

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
...and I'm back. Ever think you want something, then you get it and realize you super don't want it?

• 5Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
top search of the day should be

beskar motorcycle helmet

8f2de266a09a156f63989dbd0d67207e.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The Jedi and the Force are a big Deus ex Machina plot device. It allows them to consistently fill in cracks of the story that otherwise wouldn't make sense. Its at the point where you practically can do it for the writers without them even having to mention it. How did Luke find Grogu? He used the Force! See? They didn't even have to say the lines in the show. We're used to it.

Hopefully with Grogu gone it gets back to the non-Force type of show. The Jedi/Sith stuff has its fanboy moments, but there is soooo much more to the Star Wars universe that gets overshadowed whenever a Force user shows up.
yes i agree to some extent, The Force is basically "a wizard did it" for every plothole that comes up. yeah, Obi Wan and Qui Gonn could fast forward for the only time in Star Wars. yeah, Leia can mary poppins through space for the only time in Star Wars. Yeah, Luke can force project his live self for the only time in Star Wars, yeah, Obi Wan can feel a population of a planet somewhere else in the galaxy be destroyed for the only time in Star Wars. , but honestly The Force is so ingrained in this franchise, you really cant have a Star Wars show without The Force being involved in some manner or it just becomes a generic space show.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

we all loved that movie.

• 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
in empire strikes back, Luke finds Han and Leia on bespin by meditating... Luke "hears the call" meditates...goes to 1st planet. No grogu, meditates again, finds location, travels to new local
thats a great point

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I agree that there was TOO much flipping and acrobatics with ep 2 Yoda, but overall I just think it was interesting that a being so small and seemingly frail could be such a badass. But I also concede they could have portrayed him being a badass in a much different way as Lithose described.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
- Lucasfilm is still working on casting Mara Jade-- that means 100% it won't be the last time we see Luke.

- Luke's storyline is not expected to be ready until Mandalorian S4.

They most likely would cast a live actor for expanded appearances coming up.

2024 is when Luke's Disney+ series will debut.

Last edited:
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Garbage
  • 1I Came
Reactions: 2 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was really expecting R2 to shit out a Baby Bjorn harness and Luke to plunk Grogu in there for the ride back to the ship.