The Martial Arts Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Explain it to me. This is a dude about to fight a trans woman who is like 2 weight classes above him? When, where, and under who's rules?

The event is the Craig Jones Invitational, a submission grappling tournament put on by notable competitor and world-class social media troll Craig Jones. He raised $2M+ from someone (Zuckerberg?) and is giving out $1M prizes to the winnners of two brackets in hopes of raising the profile of the sport and promoting higher athlete pay. There are also some superfights, of which Craig vs Gabi is one.

The event is free on YouTube, superfights tomorrow.

Craig and Gabi are friends. This weird romance/fight dynamic started as a joke on Reddit (he's an Aussie with a very Andy Kaufman sense of humor) and he set it up as a freakshow match. Gabi's not trans, just has some kind of gigantism and spent the last 20 years abusing steroids. I used to train as part of the same BJJ team as her about 15 years ago and overlapped a few times, and she and my sister were briefly friendly training partners in competition prep. She's exactly as much of a mess as you'd imagine a woman with a body like that might end up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The event is the Craig Jones Invitational, a submission grappling tournament put on by notable competitor and world-class social media troll Craig Jones. He raised $2M from someone (Zuckerberg?) and is giving out $1M prizes to the winnners of two brackets in hopes of raising the profile of the sport and promoting higher athlete pay. There are also some superfights, of which Craig vs Gabi is one.

Craig and Gabi are friends. This started weird romance/fight dynamic started as a joke on Reddit (he's an Aussie with a very Andy Kauffman sense of humor) and he set it up as a freakshow match. Gabi's not trans, just has some kind of gigantism and spent the last 15 years abusing steroids.
So craig created his own tournament to fight a girl? Or are the 2 divisions male and female and they were just promoting the tourney there? Cause it looked like the face offs you get between opponents.

Captain Suave

So craig created his own tournament to fight a girl? Or are the 2 divisions male and female and they were just promoting the tourney there? Cause it looked like the face offs you get between opponents.

He's doing a one-off "match" vs Gabi separate from the tournament as a promotional stunt. It's probably going to be a work, since he beats her blindfolded and drunk with one hand tied. Winning isn't the point; the whole event is non-profit with proceeds going to charity.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

For anyone interested in grappling, this CJI -80kg division is the most entertaining shit I've seen in years.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Well maybe he'll stick to instructionals, the few he's released have been amongst my favorites

He's got a great mind for the sport and I'm sure he's a killer in the gym, but we're years past the stage where some dude who games and smokes all day, eats shit and doesn't lift can roll up and do well in elite competition.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
He's got a great mind for the sport and I'm sure he's a killer in the gym, but we're years past the stage where some dude who games and smokes all day, eats shit and doesn't lift can roll up and do well in elite competition.
that's what the CJI Commentators were trying to sell, but I don't remember Nicky ever being a non athlete, pound-for-pound, I honestly think his stand up is superior to big bro, and stand up is physically grueling

Captain Suave

that's what the CJI Commentators were trying to sell, but I don't remember Nicky ever being a non athlete, pound-for-pound, I honestly think his stand up is superior to big bro, and stand up is physically grueling

I've seen some B-Team behind the scenes footage and it seemed like Nicky does less work off the mats than I do. The rest of the guys give him a lot of grief about it.

He's phenomenal technically, but obviously doesn't have the gas tank for competition.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
well there goes my favorite

to a Calf Slicer....

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Very disappointed Chen isn't advancing, glad the sub 80 made up for the above 80 being trash, I stayed up wayyyyy to late tonight

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
To exhausted to watch the CJI finals or the ADCC Today, gonna have to catch the replays

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It's pretty gay but

I just watched season 1. It was great. Best episode was episode 5 Scenarios. That actress MJ was fucking awesome. First she played your mouthy girlfriend who gets you into a fight on a date, then your boss sexually harassing you.

Episode 4 zombies was pretty fun too.

My only comment is that it doesn't do much to prove anything about different martial arts. Almost all of them cross trained in other styles (except for the regular aussie bloke from the pub in season 2).