The New England Patriots 2014 Playoffs Thread

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
They missed some stuff both ways, wasn't there a running into the kicker on Seattle that should have been the roughing for 15 and automatic 1st early in the game too?
Yes, they also missed a helmet to helmet when Kam blew up Edelman. Pretty sure Edelman played with a concussion after that too as he was never tested for a concussion and he should have been. I don't blame the officiating in this game. Overall I thought it was pretty good. A very much let the players play style which is the way I wish all games would get called.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah but wasnt he pushed? also botched grounding on brady. even if seattlemakes that pass and gets the td i would still think the call was fucking dumb. i had no problem with the td pass at half. even if its not a complete they make the fg

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yes, they also missed a helmet to helmet when Kam blew up Edelman. Pretty sure Edelman played with a concussion after that too as he was never tested for a concussion and he should have been. I don't blame the officiating in this game. Overall I thought it was pretty good. A very much let the players play style which is the way I wish all games would get called.
Edelman talked to the press after the game so if he underwent any testing it wasn't until well after. Doesn't really surprise me though. Was a story going around about Wilson playing a large part of NFC title game with a concussion too and that's why he looked so shitty until he shook the cobwebs off.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Dudebrah.. we all said the same shit when Kaepernick floated a turd into the endzone when either him or Gore could have walked that shit in. And that bullshit ended their season two years in a row.

The stats may be 50/50 as quoted above but what about playing to your strengths?

What was NE's longest play? Like 25 to Gronk?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
They missed some stuff both ways, wasn't there a running into the kicker on Seattle that should have been the roughing for 15 and automatic 1st early in the game too?
Same fucking missed call in the 49ers game against them last year. There must be some wrinkle in the rulebook that we're unaware of. Maybe the plant foot still has to be planted, by definition?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
im surprised more people arent bitching about the botch tripping that made the Seahawks punt. regardless seahawks OC was the mvp and deserved to lose after that call
If you look at the replay in slow motion, it really didn't look like his hand touched him. What is clear from the replay is the guy tripped on his own foot -- the somehwatmurky part is whether his back foot was pushed into his front foot. I don't think he did after doing a frame by frame during the game. Collinsworth's commentary was too quick in making a judgment.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
If he wasn't diving forward the ball would have hit his feet. The ball was already in the air and too low to catch on the run.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh fuck... Jeremy Lane actually snapped his arm in half in the first quarter on the Brady INT. Had no idea it was so severe watching it live, and they didn't really talk about it again.

Spoilered for disgusting-ness.
rrr_img_89434.jpg

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Oh fuck... Jeremy Lane actually snapped his arm in half in the first quarter on the Brady INT. Had no idea it was so severe watching it live, and they didn't really talk about it again.

Spoilered for disgusting-ness.
rrr_img_89434.jpg
Going to the ground carrying a fully inflated ball will snap an arm every time.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Lynch argument ignores the fact that Wilson was also raping them on bootlegs all game. In fact, that would've been the smartest play. Do a fake handoff to Lynch and roll Wilson out on a bootleg to the weak side to run it in. If there's a defender and he doesn't think he can make it, toss it out of the back of the end zone.

Worst case is 3rd down and maybe 8 seconds off the clock. Even with a Romo like fuckup (albeit that was on a field goal), you still have your timeout if it's a disaster.

But assume it's not a complete train wreck, you have 3rd and 1 with 30 seconds. Run Lynch on 3rd down, and if he doesn't make it, you call a timeout with like 5 seconds left on the clock. Then run it again and pray. If you can't get in, it just wasn't meant to be.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Hah I love that tecmo bowl pic. The internet is busy today.

Their base formation is the same thing, except the second line is four hail marys labeled "whoever"

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Elurin, it didn't seem like we saw much of the triple option either. Unless a lot of those Lynch handoffs were actually set up for it. The Wilson scrambles mostly looked like scripted runs and not busted plays / qb options.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Elurin, it didn't seem like we saw much of the triple option either. Unless a lot of those Lynch handoffs were actually set up for it. The Wilson scrambles mostly looked like scripted runs and not busted plays / qb options.
I didn't watch much of the Seattle games, but I didn't think they ran the triple option as much once Harvin left.

I'm not sure a the triple option is really worth a shit at the goal line though. It works better when the linebackers are spaced out more and the safeties are covering deep. That way if someone isn't where they're supposed to be, you have lots of room to run. At the goal line, everyone's stacked up and so it doesn't require much to make a play by the defense.