The New England Patriots 2014 Playoffs Thread

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
Joe Montana was great, but Brady isn't done yet. If he starts Manning up after this season Joe still has some claim to the throne.
I am 43 years old and watched Montana play, I would say they are even. To me they are basically the same guy but Brady plays in a more pass happy era so he has bigger numbers. What makes both guys good is the ice in their veins, they are both stone cold killers. That being said i am glad the Patriots won, they deserved it. Tom can be one of the greatest Qb's ever, now i hope the fucker retires. If he doesn't go now while he is on top i'm going to pray he breaks his leg every single game next year.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
this one hurts bad, not gonna lie. worst sports moment of my life. i'm going to agree that the hawks lost the game with their three-and-outs in the 2nd half. any sort of clock management at the beginning of the fourth quarter and they take the game. that dropped third down conversion will haunt me.

this team is finished imo. no way you come back from this; the shit is going to dissolve and break up. going to be a while before the dust settles but people are already saying shit like that was actually paul allen's call from the booth because he didn't want lynch to be mvp and take a lot of shit when lynch walks away in the off season which is what people close to him are saying he wants to do. thus the pass attempt. true or not it's shit like this that will kill the team.

fuck, winning the superbowl almost broke them up, what do people think losing it like this is going to do?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Barnwell throws out a crazy stat

"Before Sunday, NFL teams had thrown the ball 108 times on the opposing team?s 1-yard line this season. Those passes had produced 66 touchdowns (a success rate of 61.1 percent, down to 59.5 percent when you throw in three sacks) and zero interceptions. The 223 running plays had generated 129 touchdowns (a 57.8 percent success rate) and two turnovers on fumbles."

Edit:
B8z8eFFCYAI4FLz.png

Honestly...just a great defensive play. I would think Wilson could hit him in stride and he'd be in before Butler could get there too.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
this one hurts bad, not gonna lie. worst sports moment of my life. i'm going to agree that the hawks lost the game with their three-and-outs in the 2nd half. any sort of clock management at the beginning of the fourth quarter and they take the game. that dropped third down conversion will haunt me.

this team is finished imo. no way you come back from this; the shit is going to dissolve and break up. going to be a while before the dust settles but people are already saying shit like that was actually paul allen's call from the booth because he didn't want lynch to be mvp and take a lot of shit when lynch walks away in the off season which is what people close to him are saying he wants to do. thus the pass attempt. true or not it's shit like this that will kill the team.

fuck, winning the superbowl almost broke them up, what do people think losing it like this is going to do?
If you believe that shit about Paul Allen I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

I am sure this loss sucks for Seattle, you probably feel the way I felt when the Pats lost the perfect season to the Giants. I am so fucking happy the Hawks lost and that it was Wilson's shitty throw that lost it, it must have been God's Will ... right Russel? Now that I live in WA St again I have noticed that Seahawk Fans are a lot like WSU Cougar Fans and I mostly wanted them to lose so I did not have to hear them.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If I lived in Washington I'd definitely be walking around in a Patriots jersey for the next week or so.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider

rofl. How you can tell someone just started watching football last season.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The final play surely must feel like a gut punch to Seahawks' fans.

Just like how this play felt like a gut punch to Pats' fans:

kears.gif

I couldn't stop thinking

post-30744-not-like-this-not-like-this-gi-DBvb.gif

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Once again, a story came out the morning of the Super Bowl that the Seahawks had offered Lynch an extension.

Merrith

Once again, a story came out the morning of the Super Bowl that the Seahawks had offered Lynch an extension.
It's like the Deflategate story...people just want to ignore the facts.

Amazing how much my social media was blowing up last night with butt hurt Ravens fans posting deflated Lombardi trophies.

Malakriss

Assume not worst case scenario: pass play but incomplete. Well you're still stopping the clock for the Patriots who have timeouts remaining, a 40 second drive for only a field goal is entirely doable.

For every possible reason, you run the damn ball. For every possible reason plus 1 now, you run the damn ball. Congratulations, your play call just because the quintessential Super Bowl last drive dictionary definition of why you hand the ball to your running back.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Barnwell throws out a crazy stat

"Before Sunday, NFL teams had thrown the ball 108 times on the opposing team?s 1-yard line this season. Those passes had produced 66 touchdowns (a success rate of 61.1 percent, down to 59.5 percent when you throw in three sacks) and zero interceptions. The 223 running plays had generated 129 touchdowns (a 57.8 percent success rate) and two turnovers on fumbles."

Edit:

Honestly...just a great defensive play. I would think Wilson could hit him in stride and he'd be in before Butler could get there too.
So higher touchdown rate, with zero chance of turnover. Everyone is expecting run. On top of that Seattle has ran this play time and again with a great success rate. On top of THAT...Pats got their jumbo package in.

Still the dumbest call in sports history. Ya. Dumbest call ever.

Merrith

Assume not worst case scenario: pass play but incomplete. Well you're still stopping the clock for the Patriots who have timeouts remaining, a 40 second drive for only a field goal is entirely doable.

For every possible reason, you run the damn ball. For every possible reason plus 1 now, you run the damn ball. Congratulations, your play call just because the quintessential Super Bowl last drive dictionary definition of why you hand the ball to your running back.
I can see the thought process. 2nd down, only 1 timeout left. There was actually only like 26 seconds left I believe? If you run the ball on 2nd and get stuffed, you obviously burn your last timeout. You're probably sitting 3rd and goal with no timeouts and about 20-22 seconds left. At that point, you're kind of stuck throwing it on 3rd down because if a run gets stopped with no way to stop the clock you might not have time to line up again on 4th down. By throwing it on 2nd down, if you're expecting the worst is an incomplete pass, clock is stopped with same 20 or so seconds, 3rd down, but you have that timeout...which would let you run the ball if you chose on 3rd and 4th downs without having to worry about the clock.

No matter what though, analysts are going to say if you can't get a yard with Beast Mode you don't deserve to be champs. Lynch did get stuffed on a 3rd and 1 in the red zone earlier though that led to Seattle's field goal. Maybe that factored in. Who knows. Because of the result and the obvious question of "Don't you think Beast Mode gets 1 yard?", it will get vilified forever...thus making Mike McCarthy's job a little safer while everyone forgets he spent an entire game making shitty coaching decisions that was the only real reason Seattle was even in the position to make a poor decision in the SB.

Merrith

So higher touchdown rate, with zero chance of turnover. Everyone is expecting run. On top of that Seattle has ran this play time and again with a great success rate. On top of THAT...Pats got their jumbo package in.

Still the dumbest call in sports history. Ya. Dumbest call ever.
Not disputing it, I would have handed the ball off or had Wilson sneak it. Can throw on 3rd down and run it again on 4th if it came to that. Honestly I think Butler just deserves all the credit. 99 times out of 100 it's a TD or incomplete and it's never questioned. Butler made an incredible play at the biggest time.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
Man I love football. If that pass was completed and they scored, no one would care about it being a pass and they would be super bowl champions. Instead, it was intercepted and is now the worst play call in history. Fun stuff

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
im surprised more people arent bitching about the botch tripping that made the Seahawks punt. regardless seahawks OC was the mvp and deserved to lose after that call

Merrith

im surprised more people arent bitching about the botch tripping that made the Seahawks punt. regardless seahawks OC was the mvp and deserved to lose after that call
They missed some stuff both ways, wasn't there a running into the kicker on Seattle that should have been the roughing for 15 and automatic 1st early in the game too?