The Official Guitar Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so like i'm tone deaf, my wife is ok-ish, she's wanted to learn guitar forever, it's impossible to get a tutor for her cuz currently she travels and she hates keeping appointments. we tried
Amazon.com: ChordBuddy Guitar Learning System and Practice Aid: Musical Instruments

chord buddy cuz we saw it on shark tank, bought a guitar for it, it's ok-ish

now i'm thinking of rocksmith for christmas, i have zero anything musical so i just sort by customer reviews for amazon

Amazon.com: electric guitar - Electric Guitars / Guitars: Musical Instruments

i mean how much do you guys think i should spend for a rocksmith guitar that has a 80% chance of being attic'd?

we're both gamers and played enough rock band when ppl came over.

this is just one of those things a husband will buy so when i hear "i think i'd like to learn guitar again" i can say, we'll we have that chord buddy and we bought that rocksmith.

i also don't need an amp for rocksmith, the chord will come with the game, thinking about the ps3 version.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
so like i'm tone deaf, my wife is ok-ish, she's wanted to learn guitar forever, it's impossible to get a tutor for her cuz currently she travels and she hates keeping appointments. we tried
Amazon.com: ChordBuddy Guitar Learning System and Practice Aid: Musical Instruments...
There's a rocksmith package that comes with an Epiphone guitar for $200, might be the best option. It's a pretty bare bones looking guitar and probably plays like a brick but $200 for everything probably can't be beat if you're looking for a cost efficient way to get her everything that she'd need.

Generally, within a certain range of reason, the more you spend on the guitar the easier it's going to be to play and the easier it's going to be to learn on but there's always the cost vs. concern that it's not going to ever be used which you seem to be already factoring in. I would say that for around $400 you could grab a japanese strat which is a really great mix of playability and craftsmanship for what you're paying for it. Really easy guitars to play and you've got a nice looking strat to have sitting on a stand even if it's never used. Some guys on here were grabbing guitars from some company the I'd never played before a few pages back and their reviews were all incredibly positive so digging a little in here might offer up another medium expensive suggestion.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I would find a Mexican or Japanese Strat used. Great versatile little guitar if you decide to stick with it, reasonable resale value if you don't. You'll spend about $300 to get a decent one and sell it back for $100-150 when your wife gets bored. You'll want to invest in a pro setup too at about $40.

You're probably talking about Rondo/Agile, Heriotze, but I'm personally a bit suspicious of them. I've never played them but friends who have tell me that they're pretty inconsistent in quality and setup from the factory.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
It's a cool idea, we'll see if they can deliver. My vintage Kay is cranky to tune just right so it might be helpful for that.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You're probably talking about Rondo/Agile, Heriotze, but I'm personally a bit suspicious of them. I've never played them but friends who have tell me that they're pretty inconsistent in quality and setup from the factory.
I'm the one that usually plugs Rondo/Agile. Every guitar of theirs I've played has been exceptional.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah? I know you know your shit, so maybe it's my friends that are full of it. I'd still take one over an Epiphone of a similar price regardless, although I have an Epi LP that I got recently that's actually damn nice.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not that I know anything, but my Agile 3110m plays really well. It had some fret buzz out of the box and needed a good setup, but what guitar in that price range doesn't?

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I generally think those guitars are pretty decent for the price, but it's not like they stack up to anything US or Japanese made. Then again, you pay for that.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I've played about 20 Agiles, and they've all been garbage. YMMV.

The good news is that Rondo has a great return policy. The bad news is that their QA is generally hit and miss. Mostly the latter.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I'm really surprised by this Epi LP I got. Epiphone pickups are notoriously weak, but these ones are great sounding humbuckers. It's a silverburst finish which is a limited edition thing for them, so maybe they selected pickups more carefully? I don't know.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I dig Jazzmasters, but having only 21 frets is frustrating. That 22nd fret is so important with so many songs in E.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I don't tend to play that high on the neck anyway, so that wouldn't be a huge deal to me.

What do the pickups sound like? I've heard they're P90-ish, and I dig P90s.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Not as punchy as a P-90. It's a creamier sound. It's been a while since I've played one though. So everything I said is probably wrong.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm digging an Ibanez RG3521. Is there anything else that I should check out in that same vein?

Duppin_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_51495.jpg

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I blew the speaker in my brand new Peavey Classic 30. I've had it for nine days now, practiced with it every day, and wanted to hear it at higher volume. The speaker went after one strum at 10, and started crackling immediately. I have no experience with blown speakers, but I'm figuring that it's a stupid lesson learned. I bought a G12H30 to replace it. The consensus from the reviews I read seems to be that it's got a good low-end to help round out the very mid-heavy sound from the C30, and that it performs well in an open backed cabinet. Fingers crossed!