The Paranormal, UFO's, and Mysteries of the Unknown

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
If you want a hearty laugh, look up the adventures of beserk as it tried to conquer antartica. People died and a brand new rescue ship was damaged as some guy decided he could sail to antartica and then launch ATVs to drive to the south pole.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I looked into this a number of years ago.
Did he touch on the map being created based upon knowledge and maps from the Library of Alexandria?
he's talking about the Piris Reis map which was apparently stitched together from Christopher Colombus sea maps. he also addreses the antarctica "pyramids".

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Watching that video, he shits on the antartica theories hardcore. A+ I love a critical mind.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
he's talking about the Piris Reis map which was apparently stitched together from Christopher Colombus sea maps. he also addreses the antarctica "pyramids".
Ya. Piri Reis sourced some of his map from one of Columbus pilots who just happe ed to have the map on him.
He also used his own map collection and the collection that the Turks stole when the LoA was sacked.
Those maps went much further back. I see many hypotheses about the validity of the map, but who's to say.
I also see a lot of idiots claiming Atlantis was on several of those maps as well. Of course, every single one of them point out fuckin Newfoundland and not Atlantis.

I've never looked to see if Turkey even has those old maps anymore. Would be something interesting to check out.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ya. Piri Reis sourced some of his map from one of Columbus pilots who just happe ed to have the map on him.
He also used his own map collection and the collection that the Turks stole when the LoA was sacked.
Those maps went much further back. I see many hypotheses about the validity of the map, but who's to say.
I also see a lot of idiots claiming Atlantis was on several of those maps as well. Of course, every single one of them point out fuckin Newfoundland and not Atlantis.

I've never looked to see if Turkey even has those old maps anymore. Would be something interesting to check out.
i dont think Atlantis was ever a lost continent. but maybe part of an already existing continent that was surrounded by rivers which gave it the illusion that it was a continent out in the sea. i used to think it was somewhere in South America, but Africa works too. i definitely think it was a real place, maybe not called Atlantis, but i believe the story was based on a real place.
i dunno if Atlantis is a conspiracy theory, but the idea of a tsunami/earthquake/volcano wiping out an entire civilization sounds plausible to me especially when this story matches the date of the Youngar Dryas extinction event.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I liked the idea that, "Atlantis" was actually the Minoan civlization. Which existed over a thousand years before Ancient Greece proper civilization and was destroyed by the Thyra Eruption.

Very reasonable and grounded in reality. If not quite mundane.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I liked the idea that, "Atlantis" was actually the Minoan civlization. Which existed over a thousand years before Ancient Greece proper civilization and was destroyed by the Thyra Eruption.

Very reasonable and grounded in reality. If not quite mundane.
yeah, i have no problems with that except wasnt it a tiny part of a tiny island?

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The fallout from the eruption effectively wiped out the civilization and everyone living in the Aegean. Destroying the minoans and leaving their ruins all over Crete. Later this led to a greek dark age.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Isn't it always referred to as the City of Atlantis, not the Continent of Atlantis?
For it is related in our records how once upon a time your State stayed the course of a mighty host, which, starting from a distant point in the Atlantic ocean, was insolently advancing to attack the whole of Europe, and Asia to boot. For the ocean there was at that time navigable; for in front of the mouth which you Greeks call, as you say, 'the pillars of Heracles,' there lay an island which was larger than Libya and Asia together; and it was possible for the travelers of that time to cross from it to the other islands, and from the islands to the whole of the continent over against them which encompasses that veritable ocean. For all that we have here, lying within the mouth of which we speak, is evidently a haven having a narrow entrance; but that yonder is a real ocean, and the land surrounding it may most rightly be called, in the fullest and truest sense, a continent. Now in this island of Atlantis there existed a confederation of kings, of great and marvelous power, which held sway over all the island, and over many other islands also and parts of the continent.[21]

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike

iannis

Musty Nester
Isn't it always referred to as the City of Atlantis, not the Continent of Atlantis?

Yeah, it is. But like Chuck quoted, we get Atlantis from Plato who himself got it from older sources and he has it as a continent. The city that's referred to is the capital / trade port.

Legends grow in the telling. But there was supposed to be at least an island with a city on it somewhere past the straits of gibraltar to the west. Legends also get muddled in the telling, so it may have been an island in the mediterranean that got volcano exploded.

If you're a sailor 2600, 2800 years ago you're operating off personal knowledge, inaccurate maps, dead reckoning, and shared tales. If 50 dudes all go to a place where there's supposed to be a port and there's no port there... well, I guess it must have sunk.

Last edited:
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, it is. But like Chuck quoted, we get Atlantis from Plato who himself got it from older sources and he has it as a continent. The city that's referred to is the capital / trade port.

Legends grow in the telling. But there was supposed to be at least an island with a city on it somewhere past the straits of gibraltar to the west. Legends also get muddled in the telling, so it may have been an island in the mediterranean that got volcano exploded.
i mean it could be the Minoans its referring to, but that only happened a thousand years earlier and in Plato said, this happened 9000 years prior and so that makes this 11000+ years ago. of course that could just be a fanciful way of saying a long time ago in a galaxy continent far far away. but i'll be damned if that isnt exactly the same time period when most of the megafaunae on Earth died suddenly and there are nanodiamonds all over the world indicating some massive cosmic explosion. at some point coincidences stop being coincidences. but we still gotta play that game.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, I think it's probably a few things rolled into one story. Legends tend to be. They distill down separate events into a singular one.

I don't think plato was just writing fiction and seeing if he could get people to believe it. I also think there's something, or somethings, to the story.

It must have been a legend that was old even in plato's time, but known and occassionaly told among the educated. Because he does give some very specific details -- probably that's what all the versions of it agreed on. But he doesn't really tell the whole story in writing, altough I assume he probably did in oratory. He wasn't writing history, unfortunately. He was compiling thoughts and notes for the educated to supplement their lives, not ours.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Dislike