The "Shit I just bought" thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx what rice coocker should I get? Daughter wants to make sushi nigiri/maki. I'm having difficulty making it the sticky kind in a regular pot like a pleb. We don't eat rice very often. Maybe we should.
well lets examine the rice first

are you using short grain rice? you can also use medium grain rice

i don't know what you have available in nazi land, but we'll just use these images

this is common medium grain rice
02dd1f9275f37e2d5e69c8116867ef77.jpg

medium and short grain rice is more glutenous so it's stickier

if you really need help, you can augment the rice w/ 1/4 cup of sweet sticky rice
7a6cabc3af245a1d71ac450c05efc9e1.jpg

then lets look at technique, are you using a mat? if you are, are you using saran wrap?

if you really really suck at rolling, the sushi bazooka is actually pretty good

a rice cooker won't make the rice "stickier" it will make the rice fluffier and the rice version of "al dente"

of course i could just say buy a zoji and you'll get great results,
aeb9b4bba4f385599a74e9d5677cd919.png

but it'll just cook it better than your pot (honestly zoji's do have a "sushi rice" setting, so it will be "better")

as long as you use medium/short grain rice, you'll be fine, cook it w/ a rice cooker, and you really can't go wrong (it will make it fluffier)

you know you have to season the rice for sushi?

a basic simple recipe is
rice vinegar
kombu
sugar
rice

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Lanx Lanx what rice coocker should I get? Daughter wants to make sushi nigiri/maki. I'm having difficulty making it the sticky kind in a regular pot like a pleb. We don't eat rice very often. Maybe we should.
Put some rice vinegar in the rice cooker with it.

1:1 rice/water ratio in the cooker. Maybe half a cup more water if you want it to stick together a little better

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've been using the $20 rice cookers for about 20 years now. I've only bought a new one when I moved. Never an issue with it and I never saw a reason to get a fancier one.

Show me a rice cooker that rinses the rice for me and I'll think about upgrading.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

i don't know what you have available in nazi land, but we'll just use these images

if you really need help, you can augment the rice w/ 1/4 cup of sweet sticky rice

then lets look at technique, are you using a mat? if you are, are you using saran wrap?

a rice cooker won't make the rice "stickier" it will make the rice fluffier and the rice version of "al dente"

but it'll just cook it better than your pot (honestly zoji's do have a "sushi rice" setting, so it will be "better")

as long as you use medium/short grain rice, you'll be fine, cook it w/ a rice cooker, and you really can't go wrong (it will make it fluffier)

a basic simple recipe is
rice vinegar
kombu
sugar
rice

Can confirm these are awesome rice cookers.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Oh, since we're all pinging Lanx Lanx for advice anyways.....

Lanx, can you recommend a kitchen gadget for making pot stickers or something similar? Some of them look like they work like shit and I don't want to go through 5 of them before I find one I like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Been using this one for the gf and I and its been great

Think it was Lanx Lanx approved as well
yup those very basic ones are great, it really simulates cooking rice in a pot, but with science.

if you were to barbarian your way into cooking rice in a pot like the stone ages (note i've done this more than almost any of you or your imported asian wives, Harshaw Harshaw might give me a run for my money just b/c he's fucking older than when rice cookers were invented)

you'd just wash rice, put it in a pot, cover with water until it hits your first nuckle of your index finger, bring it boil and watch until the water all boils away then turn it down to "keep warm"

that basic one does the same thing w/ zero possibility of burning the rice

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
yup those very basic ones are great, it really simulates cooking rice in a pot, but with science.

if you were to barbarian your way into cooking rice in a pot like the stone ages (note i've done this more than almost any of you or your imported asian wives, Harshaw Harshaw might give me a run for my money just b/c he's fucking older than when rice cookers were invented)

you'd just wash rice, put it in a pot, cover with water until it hits your first nuckle of your index finger, bring it boil and watch until the water all boils away then turn it down to "keep warm"

that basic one does the same thing w/ zero possibility of burning the rice
Baby Boomers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ship John Sashiko-Ori Townes shirt.

I honestly only bought it to flip but man this thing is super nice. Would need to shrink it slightly for bit better fit. It is a Medium but still oversized. Would make a super nice fall over shirt.

IMG_6802.JPG

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Ship John Sashiko-Ori Townes shirt.

I honestly only bought it to flip but man this thing is super nice. Would need to shrink it slightly for bit better fit. It is a Medium but still oversized. Would make a super nice fall over shirt.

View attachment 541208
People flip shirts now?

This world fucking sucks.

• 3Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
People flip shirts now?

This world fucking sucks.

I have no idea, just seemed like it would be possible. People pay crazy prices for their stuff on eBay. The hype around Ship John releases is pretty crazy and they have years long wait list for their jackets. So, figured why not see. But I liked it a lot so am keeping it. Just did a hot water soak and am letting it dry to try and shrink it down about an inch.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I have no idea, just seemed like it would be possible. People pay crazy prices for their stuff on eBay. The hype around Ship John releases is pretty crazy and they have years long wait list for their jackets. So, figured why not see. But I liked it a lot so am keeping it. Just did a hot water soak and am letting it dry to try and shrink it down about an inch.
Never heard of Ship John until your post. Just googled it and $418 for a fucking shirt are people fucking nuts?! Does it give you head while you wear it, or at least a reach around? Wow!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

a basic simple recipe is
rice vinegar
kombu
sugar
rice

I bought a neuro fuzzy Zojirushi two years ago - never going back. The rice is just perfect texture, and even all the way through. The thing takes forever though.

• 1Like