The "Shit I just bought" thread

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
I just bought a bunch of text books. Wow, the books end up costing MORE than my classes. I know this is not news to anyone, but there is something wrong with that equation.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just bought a bunch of text books. Wow, the books end up costing MORE than my classes. I know this is not news to anyone, but there is something wrong with that equation.
Yeah, just spent $600 on 3 textbooks, it's great! Last semester though, I won't miss that.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Buy new or used? A good friend of mine's dad makes a killing doing nothing but buying/reselling textbooks.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I usually get them on Amazon for like 80% off the bookstore, but I was on my honeymoon and needed the books ASAP when i got back.

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
'13 hyundai veloster. Not a picture of my car in particular, but same color.

rrr_img_44435.jpg

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
No, I opted for the better gas mileage but more gadgets. I can play xbox 360 on my nav display!

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I had a professor who wrote a text book for his own class and would come out with a new edition every year so you had to buy new.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's the easiest way for a professor to make money. My adviser told me either write a work published by a major company that non-academics can read, or write a survey used in undergrad, only way to make money with a PhD apparently.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's the easiest way for a professor to make money. My adviser told me either write a work published by a major company that non-academics can read, or write a survey used in undergrad, only way to make money with a PhD apparently.
You could write a book about feeling sorry for yourself.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was in a graduate numerical analysis class and the teacher said we had to buy this book on linear algebra or we'd fail (5 students mind you). I saw the book was written by him and decided not to buy it, and actually no one did. He was forced to photocopy relevant information which occurred roughly 3 times in the entire semester. $200 my ass buddy. He retired that year too.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I took graduate level Stem Cell Biology class the first year it was offered. Our book was different peer reviewed articles printed and bound by our book store.

I didn't buy it since you know being a student I could access article databases and print them for free.

Also on editions, there is really no change between them other than grammatical corrections or diagram/picture updates. It is a scam. Just like every textbook coming with digital material that is useless and never used but drives up the price.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Some have different problem sets (math, engineering) but usually it's all the same - I agree.
I was going to say, my experience in sciences/math type classes was that they changed all the problems/exercises, so if you wanted to get the 5-10% of your mark that was from handing in assignments you either needed the latest textbook yourself, or you had to borrow someone else's.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
In humanities classes/books, it seems like they mostly just move shit around or retitle stuff to confuse you.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_44896.jpg
rrr_img_44894.jpg
rrr_img_44895.jpg

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum II
Exterior Finish: Onyx Black Matte Finish with Red Stand
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 4960X 3.6GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: PROMOTION: 1500W EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) <b></b>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Storage Set 1: 1x (1TB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 EVO Series) <b></b>
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks <b></b>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s):3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: 1x NVIDIA Tesla K20 Computing Processor (5GB of Memory) <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Copper: Digital Storm Copper Pipe Custom Cooling System (Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) <b></b>
Chassis Fans: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Red) (Up to 6 Fans) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm HydroLux RGB LED Lighting System (Requires HydroLux Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm HydroLux Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: Hailstorm II: Bottom Baseplate Mod (Cleaner Wiring Look & DS Logo Branding) <b></b>
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material) <b></b>
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s):Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <b></b>
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service) <b></b>
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <b></b>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty (6 Year Labor & 4 Year Part Replacement)