The "Shit I just bought" thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think you would look hilarious is all.. plus that audio fidelity is lost when the dude on the other end is using a $5 headset

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Brahma is my audio-idol. I need to at least get some 598s for my PC. I'm using some real pieces of shit right now.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I think you would look hilarious is all.. plus that audio fidelity is lost when the dude on the other end is using a $5 headset
LOL. I didn't think of that. I think I will ask my buds tonite wtf they are using for headsets/headphones. Bastards. Here I am spending all my hard earned money on sounding like Barry White on the mic for them, and I come off sounding like fuckin Mickey Mouse.

What you say is exactly why I bought this mic. It was fuckin silly having my old mic right in my face. The mic actually is nowhere near me now. Maybe 3 feet away, but does a pretty good job of picking my voice up and eliminating background noise.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
And don't get me wrong, I am completely jealous of your audio equipment. I just think it would look funny is all.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Pretty sweet, but why not go with an edge router lite?
Because I'm connecting through pppoe and from what I've seen it can't handle more than 300-400 mbps. I was planning on grabbing one to do some tests but when I saw this offer I couldn't refuse it.

Routing on it is going to be a background thing compared to what I have planed. I can swap in an Xeon E3-1230 v2 and a M1015 HBA and pass-through it for ZFS and other goodies. Can't wait to do some benches between RouterOS and pfSense on x86 at 1 gbps.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Get the 598's and I will GIVE you a Titanium HD. Long as you pay for shipping of course.
I'll jump on that. Shit I'll PayPal you the shipping money and you send that bitch down here to Louisiana.
Man your son is so big now. I remember the last time I saw him he was literally a baby.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'll jump on that. Shit I'll PayPal you the shipping money and you send that bitch down here to Louisiana.
Man your son is so big now. I remember the last time I saw him he was literally a baby.
Shoot me your address via PM

Seanwin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Works ever greening. Our researchers had these Dell Precision 7400's that got upgraded to Alienware systems. Got on for 250$ with dual quad core Xeon processors, 24 gigs of ram and a 4 500gb drives. Tossed in a shelved gtx 8800. It's my new esx box, but also media server and smb for the house. We have 4tb of storage attached, I just need to figure out if I even bother running backups or just deal with raid.

Pretty sad that box was about 8 grand or something like that when it first came in, now it's basically junk for the matlab junkies.

Edit: it's also now my room heater and power bill maker

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I've been telling my roommates to stop spending money on overpriced crap headsets, buy some real headphones and a dedicated Mic.

I'm running sennheiser 518s through an Asus Xonar DG. It's a cheap soundcard but it has a built in headphone amp and I don't need crazy 5.1 processing.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Brahma, have you used any other USB DAC/amps? I purchased a Fiio E10 with the hopes that it would get rid of the tearing in some of my games(explosions in SC2 are some of the worst), but that didn't work. Furthermore, I didn't really see a difference between the E10 and whatever onboard sound I was using before. Do you think that Schiit combo would make an improvement in either of categories?

FYI, I'm using Senn HD595's. And I've verified the tearing on other headphones that have never even been used on my desktop previously(practically brand new).

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'm not a DAC guy, sorry. I game too much.BUT...

DAC's don't improve sound quality. A DAC is a DAC. Once you get your sound out of the case, and away from the internal noise, you are fine. Yes there are some bad DAC's, but your E10 is pretty good, and spending another 500 bucks on one isn't going to help. Now AMPS are a different beast. They will improve sound quality a ton depending on your headphones of course. But not help tearing. And that E10 doesn't have enough juice to distort your sound.

Tearing in sound from what I remember is the soundcard and like your video card being on the same IRQ. Which won't apply to you, assuming you disabled the onboard. Make sure to disable any other communications devices you aren't using also.

Or some other program is fucking up your sound. Like Skype or Vent. Go thru the normal elimination processes to figure out what it could be. Sorry I can't help more.

Grab a soundcard anyway man! You will be happier.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
This is pretty interesting, thinking of getting an amp now. What do you recommend on the cheap Brahma?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Those don't come with that mixamp? You're not going to get any improvement in sound with those headphones. DIFFERENT sound, and louder, but not better.