The Theism Thread

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
The whole multiple wives things is a bonus as well.
Yeah, that's not... well kind of. But, no. You're looking for Fundamentalist Mormonism and that's a whole other bag of crazy.

My pick would be Scientology.

rrr_img_37060.jpg

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
yeah they had wild nun orgies, decided they didn't need priests to absolve them and could talk directly to god, where free men to cathols for a while, broke the catholic spell on northern Europe. Protestantism is > catholicism

That's why I cringe every time someone says "america was founded on christian values". No they weren't, they where basically founded on protestant values and why that makes a world of difference is why Protestantism and Catholicism fought each other for a few hundred years.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Good line

"I find suffering here . It weakens you and robs you of hope," he said. "Excuse me if I use strong words, but where there is no work there is no dignity."
Pope attacks global economics for worshipping 'god of money'

Francis, who as bishop of Buenos Aires sided with unemployed workers in their conflict with government austerity plans, ended his improvised speech with a prayer asking God to "give us work and teach us to fight for work".
Francis said he did not want the crowd to see him as a smiling "cordial manager of the Church who comes here and says to you 'have courage'".
~
The pope, who later celebrated Mass for some 300,000 people outside the city's cathedral, told them: "We don't want this globalised economic system which does us so much harm. Men and women have to be at the centre (of an economic system) as God wants, not money." "The world has become an idolator of this god called money," he said.
~
Francis said globalization had brought with it a culture where the weakest in society suffered the most and often, those on the fringes "fall away", including the elderly, who he said were victims of a "hidden euthanasia" caused by neglect of those no longer considered productive.
"To defend this economic culture, a throwaway culture has been installed. We throw away grandparents, and we throw away young people. We have to say no to his throwaway culture. We want a just system that helps everyone," he said.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
You just asked that on a gaming forum? You're going to get 90% plus Buddhism.
You're not thinking it through- mainstream merely means it has a lot of members. If we all joined Cthuluism it would *have* a lot of members and thus be mainstream. Problem solved. Pass the calamari, please.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I guess I would do what the majority of humanity does and pretend to be a member of some religion that fit my social views, while disregarding the parts of it that conflict with my personal agenda.

If you mean this as a serious question, then probably something Wicca since it would at least mean I got to hang out with freaky chicks and continue to piss off catholics.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
You know, where I live most people are only titular protestants, and we have something like less than 5% Catholics. Yet, as far back as I care to remember (early 90s) the Pope has been in the news in one way or another almost weekly, and his Sunday sermons have also been reported on. By far the news stories were almost always derogatory in some way, talking about the sex scandals, anti-gay, super conservatism and such with the odd call for peace in some conflict intermingled. Then this new pope gets elected and apart from a few early news stories trying to tie him to the Argentinian Junta it's as if the Vatican and the Pope have vanished from the news. Then, every now and again I read stuff like that posted above, where the Pope actually seems to make sense. He's said that he hasn't a problem if a gay man seeks God (OK, he probably won't be attending Rome's next Gay Pride, but it's a huge step none the less), he's talked about poverty in more than just a superficial way, he's been openly critical of western militarism, he's working to reduce Church corruption and ties with the Mafia and all sorts of stuff like this.

Now, I'm not a Catholic, and never will be, but this new Pope seems to be something quite different, something... dare I say it... almost noble. I find it therefore highly suspicious the silence that seems to surround his work in the international news media. Maybe they don't like him preaching an end to globalism with the ensuing poverty and austerity it has caused for millions?

On another note, I saw a clip of him riding around in an open top Popemobile. The fact that he seems hell bent on pissing off powerful people, the Mafia included, and then rides around without 2" of bulletproof glass to protect him makes me wonder if he actually does believe in divine protection lol.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You know, where I live most people are only titular protestants, and we have something like less than 5% Catholics. Yet, as far back as I care to remember (early 90s) the Pope has been in the news in one way or another almost weekly, and his Sunday sermons have also been reported on. By far the news stories were almost always derogatory in some way, talking about the sex scandals, anti-gay, super conservatism and such with the odd call for peace in some conflict intermingled. Then this new pope gets elected and apart from a few early news stories trying to tie him to the Argentinian Junta it's as if the Vatican and the Pope have vanished from the news. Then, every now and again I read stuff like that posted above, where the Pope actually seems to make sense. He's said that he hasn't a problem if a gay man seeks God (OK, he probably won't be attending Rome's next Gay Pride, but it's a huge step none the less), he's talked about poverty in more than just a superficial way, he's been openly critical of western militarism, he's working to reduce Church corruption and ties with the Mafia and all sorts of stuff like this.

Now, I'm not a Catholic, and never will be, but this new Pope seems to be something quite different, something... dare I say it... almost noble. I find it therefore highly suspicious the silence that seems to surround his work in the international news media. Maybe they don't like him preaching an end to globalism with the ensuing poverty and austerity it has caused for millions?

On another note, I saw a clip of him riding around in an open top Popemobile. The fact that he seems hell bent on pissing off powerful people, the Mafia included, and then rides around without 2" of bulletproof glass to protect him makes me wonder if he actually does believe in divine protection lol.
Coming from a Protestant guy who has some doctrinal issues with Catholicism I respect this guy immensely. I mean big time.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
A theist respecting another theist for being a theist. How rare. Cough.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Humanity my arse. It's like Mother Teresa all over. Trying to advocate some good deeds negate others. The man with the funny hat can start by abolishing the criminal organization known as the Catholic Church. Then apologize. Maybe he'll win the respect of the victims of the pedophile clergy under him, and in turn the rest of us.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Humanity my arse. It's like Mother Teresa all over. Trying to advocate some good deeds negate others. The man with the funny hat can start by abolishing the criminal organization known as the Catholic Church. Then apologize. Maybe he'll win the respect of the victims of the pedophile clergy under him, and in turn the rest of us.
We already established that the US DoE covers up more crime than the global Catholic church so just you showing your ass again ....

Izo

Tranny Chaser
You did no such thing. But thanks for asserting it.

DoE is not a world wide organization preaching superior morality under divine inspiration. It does not compare to the magnitude of the catholic church. This criminal organization even has a decree from 1962 about the cover up of pedophilia -Crimen Sollicitationis. Show me the equivalent in another world wide organization. Please?

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Child_sexual_abuse_in_the_Roman_Catholic_Church#Pa pal_hypocrisy_sl said:
There are even accusations that Pope Benedict XVI earlier in his career covered up for abusive priests in Munich and later as hypocritically named "morals enforcer" for The Vatican.[9] Priests who had abused children were simply moved on to other parishes where, all too frequently, they re-offended. Pope Benedict XVI personally issued a document telling bishops to hush up allegations of abuse and avoid reporting abuse to the authorities. The bishops were instructed to keep this sensitive document in a safe at all times. Perpetrators and victims of abuse were sometimes pressured into silence with the threat of excommunication to keep them in line.[10] Other victims were bribed into silence.[11]
What has the new pope done to rectify more than 2000 years worth of (child) abuse?

Here is more on your precious pope regarding condoms / STI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Francis#Contraception_sl said:
Before becoming Pope he opposed the free distribution of contraceptives when it was introduced by the Kirchner government.
Comon now, a_skeleton_03. This is not divine inspiration - it's popular demand. Same goes forhomosexuality you seem som fond of-pope thinks it's amoral. Sigh.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So the fact that the US DoE has covered up more crime than a worldwide organization means nothing because it was centralized.

Let us paint a scenario.

A catholic priest kills one Jew.
Hitler kills 10 million Jews.

The Catholic church would be worse because they are worldwide and Hitler would be more awesome because he only killed his Jews locally........