The Walking Dead

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I got this on the Steam sale a couple days ago. Pretty cool game. The acting is better than the show.
confused.png

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
I know most people have played this by now but with the sales there might be more like me that just picked it up or are planning on it so here's my stance.

Was pleasantly surprised at this game. I haven't read the comics and stopped watching the show in the first half of the second season with the horribly boring farm junk being so disappointing after its stellar first season. As far as point-and-click games I've never been able to get into Telltale's other stuff because it's just too many "puzzles" that aren't really puzzles but more about clicking everything until you find the right combo that lets you progress. That and I've only ever been able to get into a few dialogue heavy games because the story told in most of them isn't worthy of it. So outside of my predisposition to the genres The Walking Dead game is easily the best point and click game I've played and definitely near the top of my list of dialogue oriented games out there. It's a shame the story played out the same no matter which way you took but that's understandable with the compounding dev time it takes to give truly tailored stories. Even after I caught on that the storyline was mostly the same no matter your decisions I was still really torn between some of the choices you end up making and they still carried emotional weight.

If you've been on the fence about point-and-click or dialogue games like I've been you should definitely buy this.

Sean_sl

shitlord
If anyone wanted more of a video game than the "interactive movie" that this series ended up being I suggest checking out any of the old LucasArts or Sierra games. They're loads more fun to actually play.

There's some newer stuff good that's pretty too like Deponia on Steam, it's very reminiscent of Monkey Island.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If anyone wanted more of a video game than the "interactive movie" that this series ended up being I suggest checking out any of the old LucasArts or Sierra games. They're loads more fun to actually play.

There's some newer stuff good that's pretty too like Deponia on Steam, it's very reminiscent of Monkey Island.
so pick it up or not lol?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I watched a Let's Play of some of it, is the point of the game to just blindly click around until you find a path to killing zombies?

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, somewhat. Anyone expecting to pick up a chainsaw and take on hordes of undead are going to be sorely disappointed.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I guess it makes sense that the game would force the player to be as narrow minded as the character's on the show. I still can't believe nobody made a spear yet.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The game is literally like an interactive version of the comic. I'm not sure how to even fail at the game, but the writing and acting is far better than the show. It's worth the 12 bucks it cost me on Steam, but it's definitely not an action game.

Sean_sl

shitlord
It's worth experiencing for sure, but if anyone expects it to be like the Adventure Games of yesteryear (Monkey Island, etc) then they'll be sorely disappointed. It's mostly press A to advance the movie. There's barely any puzzles and figuring anything out. You basically walk around really slowly, pick obvious things up, and advance dialogue.

Flesseck

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fantastic fucking game. I have never been so engrossed in a story. I can see why it's receiving so much praise. While the gameplay is limited and arguably weak or nonexistent, it is worth it just to experience the story and characters. I think it may even be better than the TV show.

Golt_sl

shitlord
For me personally there's no doubt the storytelling is better than the TV show. I do think i cared more about the characters in the game partly because I made decisions for them/based on my feelings for them, rather than watching things unfold on screen. Even still, I definitely had more of an attachment/cared than I do for the characters of the respective TV show. All around fun game, glad I caught up on this when it was on sale.. totally worth it. Really looking forward to "Season 2" of the game, since its already confirmed there will be another.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
ah shit I guess I will buy it. Good stories are always my top priority in a game.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
For me personally there's no doubt the storytelling is better than the TV show. I do think i cared more about the characters in the game partly because I made decisions for them/based on my feelings for them, rather than watching things unfold on screen. Even still, I definitely had more of an attachment/cared than I do for the characters of the respective TV show. All around fun game, glad I caught up on this when it was on sale.. totally worth it. Really looking forward to "Season 2" of the game, since its already confirmed there will be another.
I just finished episode 3, I'd be lying if I said I didn't get misty eyed.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I thought the characters were shallow as shit. No matter what choices you make, no one changes their opinions of you enough to matter. You can help Kenny out all fucking game and you still need to scrap with the fucker at times, and he still cries like a little bitch every time you tell him to shut up.

It's possibly the episodic nature of the original release that caused that. The first time through, I thought it was pretty good. With nothing else to do but load up the game again and pick the opposite choices while we waited for the next episode, a lot of the allure was lost. Nothing you do makes any fucking difference. If people are going to die, they'll die anyway, whether you try to save them or not.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Do you actually make decisions in this game? And do the results make sense or is it, "Oh you chose the smart thing, rocks fall everyone dies" ?

edit:
Nothing you do makes any fucking difference. If people are going to die, they'll die anyway, whether you try to save them or not.
nevermind, lol. This really looks and sounds like watching a movie you have to press the play button every few seconds on.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Do you actually make decisions in this game? And do the results make sense or is it, "Oh you chose the smart thing, rocks fall everyone dies" ?
Yes you make choices and if you make a bad choice then yeah, you die, your choices also dictate what happens to characters later on or in a situation.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yes you make choices and if you make a bad choice then yeah, you die, your choices also dictate what happens to characters later on or in a situation.
Did you play multiple playthroughs with drastically different but reasonable decisions?