Thor: Love and Thunder (2021)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Thor, as a movie franchise, had been pretty lackluster - Thor 1 was fairly average and Thor 2 is one of the worst MCU movies they've made. Which explains the poor opening week of Ragnarok. Once word got out that it was great, the movie had pretty "sustained" success.

Any "success" this saw in its first-week take was likely off the back of Ragnarok and people expecting a similar movie/vibe. Clearly this is nowhere near Ragnarok and I'd expect the 2nd week numbers to be terrible. Problem is, there really isn't shit else releasing and movie theaters are typically one of the summer ways to "escape" the heat.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Also, if the rock race only has males...then it doesn't have either males or females. There's no point to naming a sex of a single-sex race... Fucking stupid.
Nah that was changed to make this "the gayest movie ever"

45 seconds in to this video:

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Just kind of a "meh" film. If it never existed, it would have the same impact on the overall MCU. I'll have prob forgotten about it in a week or so.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm usually a MCU fanboy but I can't give this anything much. I nearly walked out of this movie and have only done so in one other movie in my life. The comedy was so poorly delivered and never let up that it was barely tolerable. It hurt my opinion of the character and I don't get why Thor is and has been the comic relief character? I'm ok with some of the comedy and they had some good moments in Ragnorok, End Game, and yeah the GotG makes a lot of that work but Gorr is a great story/character plus we're battling terminal illnesses, dealing with loss, etc. that they really sacrificed a lot for the sake of whatever this style is.. was... whatever.

It was like a Mel Brooks parody of a Marvel movie. That may be too generous... maybe a poor SNL skit that happened to last 2+ hours. I'm still stunned. My family also felt the same way. My oldest son also wanted to leave several times.

Maybe that's all a bit harsh. I'm at a loss for words. lol. How it's 81 RT Audience blows my mind.

On a positive note...
Gorr was solid. Christian Bale had creepy moments, almost Health Ledger joker-esque moments.
Visuals were amazing, especially the shadow realm.
Necrosword... awesome! Missed opportunity though.
Some of the comedy was good but was done so much it was painful. Take 90% of it out and the 10% would have been better.
Really cool visual reveal of a cosmic being (won't say who just yet)

I would place this at the very bottom of my MCU list and I really, really hate to say that....
yeah, wasnt a fan of that shit. but the CGI and some good moments still made it an ok film. it wasnt aggressibely bad or anything. i dont even care about the "gayest movie ever" line. The Birdcage is a very funny movie and thats literally all gay, but its self deprecating, funny, well acted and well written. i just wanted a good interesting story, funny movie with lots of sparklies. they delivered on 1/3 of that and so its just ok.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Saw it today, I enjoyed it but my wife kinda got annoyed by all the lame joke attempts. I love lame jokes that fall flat, and Family Guy type jokes where they beat them to death, I end up laughing not at the jokes but at peoples reactions to them moreso. The korg all male race stuff wouldn't bother me outside the current social climate we live in where gay propaganda is being shoved down our throats to indoctrinate children, making it hard to perceive any other intent, and the valkyrie stuff was pretty subtle. Thor played it well, the best he could with what he was given, and I was pleasantly surprised with Jane actually being a good female superhero. They actually made fun of her some like they would a male character to humanize her, instead of putting her on the Mary Sue pedestal alongside Captain Marvel.

Of the recent Marvel movies my enjoyment ranking would be:

Dr Strange MoM
Shang Chi
Thor L&T
Spiderman NWH (unpopular opinion probably, I don't think it's bad, I just didn't care for it)
Eternals

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What does getting fat have to do with being a cuck??

And he became a joke character in Ragnarok

You're taking me way too literally. Fat Thor wasn't a cuck because he was fat, but he was certainly cucked.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just got back from seeing it, I concur with the general sentiment that it was "meh".
  • Middle of the pack for Thor movies (I liked the first and Ragnarok, then this, this that shitshow which was Thor 2).
  • Middle tier in general MCU.
  • Better than anything other than No Way Home in phase 4 (Neck and neck with MoM)
I agree with someone's assessment I heard that the problem with Watiti's direction is that he's fantastic at his style of humor, but doesn't know how to give the right space and tone for somber/serious moments.

My #1 problem with Marvel movies is how they can never let any moments have any emotional weight.

Something tragic happens or you have a moment between characters where they're sharing their struggles or whatever the case may be, and then two seconds later HOLD ON TIME FOR A JOKE GAG.

It's like they're afraid to let any moments actually breathe, or let the audience feel any kind of emotion for a second without immediately superceding it with Teh Humor.

I think Phase 4 has definitely been the phase where the actual weakness of these movies has really been exposed, but people will still see them because of FOMO. They're like the national soap opera and nobody wants to be the one who misses a few episodes and doesn't know what everyone else is talking about.

P4 will probably be looked back on as the one with the really good Spider-Man movie and a lot of not-great stuff no one remembers fondly, plus a few shows that were hit-or-miss.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
After giving it some thought, I think I know what was bothering me about Thor. He's the Harley Quinn of the Marvel universe. They pushed his personality too far to the point that he's just annoying. The whole 'I am an Idiot and oblivious' routine is so, so old.

Gor was wasted in this movie. He was fantastic and could have carried 3 films as a villain if this was done right.

Eternity looked fantastic. The kids scene at the end was CRINGE as hell, like I actually had to look away it was so bad.

If P4 was gonna end with an ensemble movie with a big villain, Gorr would have been a solid choice. Especially if this movie had actually shown him, ya know, God-Butchering.

I think the phase should have something like that as a cap even if it wasn't Avengers (don't think we'll see another Avengers for many years). Something reuniting the now very-different team before things go off in their new direction.

Looks like Fantastic Four is the end of P4, which at least has the number synergy. If a bunch of current Avengers show up in that movie, even as cameos, it'll be sorta like an ensemble capstone situation.

I don't know why I'm thinking about all of this so much, I don't even like Marvel that much, except when I'm stoned and it suddenly seems awesome. Gonna check Thor our some time in the next couple days.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
My #1 problem with Marvel movies is how they can never let any moments have any emotional weight.

Something tragic happens or you have a moment between characters where they're sharing their struggles or whatever the case may be, and then two seconds later HOLD ON TIME FOR A JOKE GAG.

It's like they're afraid to let any moments actually breathe, or let the audience feel any kind of emotion for a second without immediately superceding it with Teh Humor.

I think Phase 4 has definitely been the phase where the actual weakness of these movies has really been exposed, but people will still see them because of FOMO. They're like the national soap opera and nobody wants to be the one who misses a few episodes and doesn't know what everyone else is talking about.

P4 will probably be looked back on as the one with the really good Spider-Man movie and a lot of not-great stuff no one remembers fondly, plus a few shows that were hit-or-miss.
While I agree with you, I think you're forgetting the end of Infinity War. Ending the movie on the snap certainly let the tragedy "breathe." Even the Fury "Oh Shit" post credits was serious enough to not distract from the heaviness. To this day that's still as silent as I've ever heard a movie theater. Of course, that one exception proves the rule with how poorly some of the other serious scenes are cut off.

• 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Also, if the rock race only has males...then it doesn't have either males or females. There's no point to naming a sex of a single-sex race... Fucking stupid.
This has been bothering me ever since I read about it.

Exactly right. If the species doesnt have two sexes, Korg is neither male nor gay.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
IW was also where Thanos was at his best, before he became a big dumb rubber monster in EG, apparently to make room for more woke. The real dropoff of the MCU was after IW. It is jarring how big of a falloff EG was and only the Spiderman movies have been remotely as good as IW since.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
IW was also where Thanos was at his best, before he became a big dumb rubber monster in EG, apparently to make room for more woke. The real dropoff of the MCU was after IW. It is jarring how big of a falloff EG was and only the Spiderman movies have been remotely as good as IW since.
That was pre infinity stones Thanos, he was less philisophical and more warrior. He`s still the same character, but he`s at a different stage of his life. He also was caught off guard by shit from the future he had to deal with. I think Endgame Thanos was fine.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
While I agree with you, I think you're forgetting the end of Infinity War. Ending the movie on the snap certainly let the tragedy "breathe." Even the Fury "Oh Shit" post credits was serious enough to not distract from the heaviness. To this day that's still as silent as I've ever heard a movie theater. Of course, that one exception proves the rule with how poorly some of the other serious scenes are cut off.

Same happened when I saw IW, place was dead silent for the credits

• 2Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
FOR poignancy IW and endgame win hands DOWN for best ending emotionally neither of which is a "happy" emotion

IW it was mostly shock and not really sadness but "down" emotionally, and the emotional reaction to " the how the fuck do they end it THERE!!!!" you wanted to see more.

endgame was just sadness for the most part, the emotional high, yay them won, then the BAM tony dying scene hits you right in the gut.

total roller coaster ride emotionally, love both movies.

i have not seen thor yet (getting over covid for the family 11 of us went on vacation to disney june 19-26th 5 of us got covid-we had 8 day park hopper passes) will probably see next friday.

btw the new guardians of the galaxy rollercoaster is the best coaster i have ever been on it is awesome (we hit it and avatar twice).

avatar better visuals and is an experience, GOTG ride was more thrilling.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The other problem is that there is no underlying theme. In Phase 1, each solo movie had a tie to the larger Infinity War end goal. RIght now, its a dude. They should have transitioned to Secret Wars right off the bat, laying a clear path.

I could care less about Hercules. That reveal was so bad. What WOULD have been great is a Dr. Doom Easter Egg leading into FF and prepping Secret Wars. Handled correct, Secret Wars could be bigger than Infinity War. But that is looking truly doubtful.

Am I understanding right that the other big non-Thanos scenarios/villains in Marvel are:

Secret Wars/Dr. Doom
Kang the Conqueror
Galactus

?

F4's placement makes me think Dr. Doom is on the way, but also we know Kang is on the way... maybe P5 will have both of them as antagonists? It's also possible Kang will be nothing more than the Loki Season 2 villain.

Either way I think they're saving Galactus for their last few phases, whenever that is.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This movie isnt going to bring in the money for Disney from the sounds of it. It's budget was way higher than MoM and debut way lower.

Looking at everything since Endgame marvels numbers are shit for the most part with NWH being the exception. Can't blame shit on the pandemic bullshit when NWH, and Maverick did what they did

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm usually a MCU fanboy but I can't give this anything much. I nearly walked out of this movie and have only done so in one other movie in my life. The comedy was so poorly delivered and never let up that it was barely tolerable. It hurt my opinion of the character and I don't get why Thor is and has been the comic relief character? I'm ok with some of the comedy and they had some good moments in Ragnorok, End Game, and yeah the GotG makes a lot of that work but Gorr is a great story/character plus we're battling terminal illnesses, dealing with loss, etc. that they really sacrificed a lot for the sake of whatever this style is.. was... whatever.

It was like a Mel Brooks parody of a Marvel movie. That may be too generous... maybe a poor SNL skit that happened to last 2+ hours. I'm still stunned. My family also felt the same way. My oldest son also wanted to leave several times.

Maybe that's all a bit harsh. I'm at a loss for words. lol. How it's 81 RT Audience blows my mind.

That's how I felt after seeing the Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. It has like a 90% audience rating and I can't understand why. It was such a slog to sit through.

It isn't like these movies are made for Scorcese. In 10-20 years when we live in Full Idiocracy, these Marvel movies are gonna be on endless rotation on one of the 8 remaining TV channels.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
This movie isnt going to bring in the money for Disney from the sounds of it. It's budget was way higher than MoM and debut way lower.

Looking at everything since Endgame marvels numbers are shit for the most part with NWH being the exception. Can't blame shit on the pandemic bullshit when NWH, and Maverick did what they did
Lol... Yeah, everything that didn't become the sixth highest grossing film of all time is a failure. Unless Thor 4 really craters (Morbius level drops), it will be fine. It still beat out Thor 3's opening week. DS2 brought 400 million domestic and nearly 1B total. All without China. Even shitty Shang Chi did 230/430 million when pandemic fears were a real issue. The MCU isn't at its height but it's a far way from not bringing in the money. It's not remotely realistic to expect 1.5-2 billion movies every time.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lol... Yeah, everything that didn't become the sixth highest grossing film of all time is a failure. Unless Thor 4 really craters (Morbius level drops), it will be fine. It still beat out Thor 3's opening week. DS2 brought 400 million domestic and nearly 1B total. All without China. Even shitty Shang Chi did 230/430 million when pandemic fears were a real issue. The MCU isn't at its height but it's a far way from not bringing in the money. It's not remotely realistic to expect 1.5-2 billion movies every time.
I'm not saying it's not going to make money, I'm saying all their releases are shit compared to the last phase

LaT and MoM they were talking about doing crazy numbers and neither is looking that way

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm not saying it's not going to make money, I'm saying all their releases are shit compared to the last phase
Well, you kind of did... "This movie isnt going to bring in the money for Disney".

But yeah, in comparison to the phase that ended nearly a decade of buildup, it is not as successful.

That aside, I would agree in general they're not doing a great job of building excitement or momentum for the future.