Torrents

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Yeah, i'm pretty pissed about the screener situation this year.

0 screeners have been leaked.

Since when did Hollywood get smart about this shit?

spronk

FPS noob
i for one am glad i fucking hate those SD 480p screeners, and yes i don't care no one else gets to see them either its 2160p or nothing for me and my choice should dictate what everyone else gets too

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
i for one am glad i fucking hate those SD 480p screeners, and yes i don't care no one else gets to see them either its 2160p or nothing for me and my choice should dictate what everyone else gets too
LOL I was about to download my first 2160p release today (I know you aren't being serious that's all you watch) how are they?

spronk

FPS noob
pretty awesome if you can get the 10 bit rips and use an HDR enabled player like Kodi. Wife cannot tell the difference between DVD and 2160p no matter how many times I show her a color contrast pause image or fast motion screens. The biggest plus for me is the loss of artifacts, even with 1080p rips you still see a lot of jaggies but pretty much never with 2160p rips.

The size is insane though, just downloaded Goodfellas at 2160p and its 60 gigs. Fortunately most movies are shit so no need to really keep a big library, just like a dozen 2160p movies or so. TV Rips are now starting to be 2160p too, like I just downloaded The Expanse from amazon prime (I have a prime account, just prefer local copy) and will rewatch that. Grand Tour at 2160p is fucking insane, but again each episode is 30-40 gigs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I believe most of the artifacting in 1080p rips is due to the compression. I see it most in scenes with a lot of black. My guess is they are removing a lot of bits for the swaths of black screen, so you end up with lots of jagged transitions vs smoother black detail with a fully uncompressed source. As nice as 2160p rips look, the uncompressed source is also far better like the ripped 1080p vs Bluray source comparison.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
pretty awesome if you can get the 10 bit rips and use an HDR enabled player like Kodi. Wife cannot tell the difference between DVD and 2160p no matter how many times I show her a color contrast pause image or fast motion screens. The biggest plus for me is the loss of artifacts, even with 1080p rips you still see a lot of jaggies but pretty much never with 2160p rips.

The size is insane though, just downloaded Goodfellas at 2160p and its 60 gigs. Fortunately most movies are shit so no need to really keep a big library, just like a dozen 2160p movies or so. TV Rips are now starting to be 2160p too, like I just downloaded The Expanse from amazon prime (I have a prime account, just prefer local copy) and will rewatch that. Grand Tour at 2160p is fucking insane, but again each episode is 30-40 gigs.
I'm pretty much like your wife. I feel I can tell a difference, but it doesn't matter to me. Been doing the SD rips for a long time, no more than 400mb per TV episode. I mean I realize that NAS storage solutions are becoming more popular, but 30-40 gigs per episode? Holy fuck. Guess my SD preference has also allowed me to use a 3TB drive for the last few years as well though.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You and Spronk's wife need to see an Optometrist asap! Shit is night and day difference for most.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Screener season is the only time of the year when I relax my 1080p or nothing rule, but now that you mention it, I got a 4K HDR OLED TV in January last year and that really shows up poor quality 720 and 1080p encodes, so screeners would probably have not been worth it.

I did download a 10bit 2160 rip of Pacific Rim from IPT but only got a green screen via MPC-HC and madVR. Guess I'll have to get round to setting up KODI

Oh and some of the big 10bit HEVC rips on IPT only come in 2 channel stereo, apparently because they haven't cracked the disc audio yet - so yeah, getting those 2160p files without full 5.1, 7.1 or atmos is only 50% of the package

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The size is insane though, just downloaded Goodfellas at 2160p and its 60 gigs.

So I just downloaded that Goodfellas rip and playback was stuttery as hell, this is with an i5-6600 and GTX970, mpc-hc and madVR as the renderer. I was pretty pissed as I bought this PC in January to go with my new 4k HDR TV. The file runs fine if I change the renderer to Haali, but the benefit of madVR is that it automatically changes my display to the correct refresh rate and the TV automatically changes colour settings to the calibrated ones.

Upon further reading it seems the 970 doesn't support hardware HEVC decoding, only the lower spec 960 does!

What software are you using to play it?

spronk

FPS noob
MPC-HC 64 and Kodi play the Goodfellas file - Goodfellas (1990) 2160p 4K UltraHD BluRay (x265 HEVC 10bit) 2ch AC3 - just fine for me, I usually play on the TV just attached to my PC so straight out to that. I don't think HDR is "active" since I don't think PC players do full 10 bit yet just 8 bit.

For 10 bit I can copy the MKV file to a USB drive and just attach it to the Samsung (I hook it on to the big ass dongle thing not the back port) and I believe it enables HDR but honestly don't see any difference between that and the version I output from the PC.

make sure your samsung is set to settings / picture / expert settings / HDMI UHD Color / ON for whichever HDMI ports have 4K HDR outputs - ps4, xbox one, and PC for me.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
MPC-HC 64 and Kodi play the Goodfellas file - Goodfellas (1990) 2160p 4K UltraHD BluRay (x265 HEVC 10bit) 2ch AC3 - just fine for me, I usually play on the TV just attached to my PC so straight out to that. I don't think HDR is "active" since I don't think PC players do full 10 bit yet just 8 bit.

For 10 bit I can copy the MKV file to a USB drive and just attach it to the Samsung (I hook it on to the big ass dongle thing not the back port) and I believe it enables HDR but honestly don't see any difference between that and the version I output from the PC.

make sure your samsung is set to settings / picture / expert settings / HDMI UHD Color / ON for whichever HDMI ports have 4K HDR outputs - ps4, xbox one, and PC for me.

What spec pc do you have?

Madshi, the guy that develops madvr replied to my avs forum post and basically said I need no cpu is powerful enough to software decode 10 bit hevc yet and I need a geforce 10 series.

Not worth upgrading yet as the 10 bit hevc stuff doesn't come with surround sound

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Who would have though that watching a fucking movie is more demanding on system these days than most games?

spronk

FPS noob
What spec pc do you have?

Madshi, the guy that develops madvr replied to my avs forum post and basically said I need no cpu is powerful enough to software decode 10 bit hevc yet and I need a geforce 10 series.

Not worth upgrading yet as the 10 bit hevc stuff doesn't come with surround sound

thats definitely bullshit, any 2016 TV can play USB mkv 10 bit HEVC (265) files just fine and they are running the equivalent of mobile phones with no GPUs. The GeForce comment makes ZERO sense, GPU cards are used for 3d rendering not for decoding video streams. Decompression is 100% CPU bound, GPUs wouldn't do jack shit for it.

What 99.99% is the issue is that TrueHD and Atmos audio streams require proprietary libraries and open source players can't use them since they stop becoming open source if they do. So VLC, the player I use 99% of the time, doesn't work if the audio stream is either one. When a regular player tries to decode TrueHD/Atmos it causes the video and audio to both stutter dramatically, which is probably what you are seeing.

just grab MPC-HD and you will likely play the video file just fine, its a bit simpler/easier than Kodi on a PC.
Home · MPC-HC

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
thats definitely bullshit, any 2016 TV can play USB mkv 10 bit HEVC (265) files just fine and they are running the equivalent of mobile phones with no GPUs. The GeForce comment makes ZERO sense, GPU cards are used for 3d rendering not for decoding video streams. Decompression is 100% CPU bound, GPUs wouldn't do jack shit for it.

What 99.99% is the issue is that TrueHD and Atmos audio streams require proprietary libraries and open source players can't use them since they stop becoming open source if they do. So VLC, the player I use 99% of the time, doesn't work if the audio stream is either one. When a regular player tries to decode TrueHD/Atmos it causes the video and audio to both stutter dramatically, which is probably what you are seeing.

just grab MPC-HD and you will likely play the video file just fine, its a bit simpler/easier than Kodi on a PC.
Home · MPC-HC

I use mpchc with madvr.

Will try putting the files on a usb and into tv tonight.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
OK FoH bros, my fill server for the last 5 years has become woefully bad at filling. I've used Usenetbucket.nl for a long time because it didn't have automated DMCA take downs, but it seems like they have fallen to the dark side.

Anyone recommend a good fill server with either cheap monthly access or good priced block accounts? I'm looking for any one that doesn't do automated DMCA take down bullshit. Typically those have been the Dutch resellers, but I guess that is changing.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, no idea. Typically the dmca take down isn't a problem because Sonarr snags the episodes so fast. Good luck with anything beyond a day or 2 old.

I get the feeling they are all the same these days in terms of the content. Everywhere I look it's all the same files. Newztown is based out of South Africa, but they have dmca take downs. Other one I use is nzb.su and it's the same.