Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ugh, this sucked.
I Dont Arrested Development GIF

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I need another Cabin in the woods again. One of the best horror/comedy films since Army of darkness. Funny they had to fight to get that movie released and Hemsworth was a star when it finally came out.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Szlia

As the president (and last member) of the Shyamalan International Fan Club, this is not a great day. Forget the contrived plot and stilted acting, the main problem is that this thriller is anything but thrilling. When you hear the pitch, you imagine a cat and mouse chase with twists and turns, close calls and surprises... but there is none of that in the hour it takes for the killer and his daughter to escape the venue. Even more disappointing, Shyamalan, who once was one of the most brilliant filmmaker in activity, delivers a bland copy in which you can maybe save a handful of compositions. Meh.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
As the president (and last member) of the Shyamalan International Fan Club, this is not a great day. Forget the contrived plot and stilted acting, the main problem is that this thriller is anything but thrilling. When you hear the pitch, you imagine a cat and mouse chase with twists and turns, close calls and surprises... but there is none of that in the hour it takes for the killer and his daughter to escape the venue. Even more disappointing, Shyamalan, who once was one of the most brilliant filmmaker in activity, delivers a bland copy in which you can maybe save a handful of compositions. Meh.
There was a lot of potential here. Either shamadindong had no intention of making the effort for a great thriller. Had no money to do any of what he wanted or just didn't think about it.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I'm sure you've mentioned your Shamalamadingdong support before, but I'm still surprised. His three hit combo of Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs was great, but then it's been dogshit since, with the exception of Split. What stretch of his films do you find brilliant?

• 1Like

Szlia

I'm sure you've mentioned your Shamalamadingdong support before, but I'm still surprised. His three hit combo of Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs was great, but then it's been dogshit since, with the exception of Split. What stretch of his films do you find brilliant?
I am with you, he probably never managed to deliver a full film since Unbreakable. But my support is not based on his (lack of) consistency, but on his peak abilities. When it comes to what the english speaking world calls "blocking" (for film, the movement/placement of the actors and the camera within a scene to create compositions and meaning), Shyamalan is, at his peak, one of the best director in the world. This talent is less and less in use as years pass it seems. Even in some of his worst movies there used to be a handful of great shots or original ideas (like the threat of the invisible in The Happening). Lately, not so much... The Visit, Split and Glass were ok I guess, Old drowned its good bits in terrible and the most recent two, Knock at the Cabin and Trap, are watchable, but there is nothing of interest in them. A terrible shame.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
That's a big stretch. His movies aren't bad per se but as soon as he lumps in his shitty Rod Serling twist, it just kills the rest of the film. He can get good performances out of people, and his concepts are interesting, but then when the twist happens I'm just kind of bleh about the whole deal. The movie is always look great, and whoever is DP is does a fantastic job. Normally have really good scores, but if the plot ends up being retarded, what the hell is the point.

He's kind of like a Stephen King of filmmakers, where he always screws up the landing. Rest of the movie might be fantastic and fun to watch, but then come that ending...

I still think he just ripped off the Twilight zone or the outer limits or any of those shows like tales from the crypt which I know you used to be a comic, and somehow became a Hollywood phenom.

I remember when the village was coming out and I saw a previews for it in the theater back when I used to go in college probably weekly with friends and stuff. Throw a bunch of us at work that we're talking about hey what do you think that movie is going to be about, what's going to be the twist.

Maybe it was me or somebody else but somebody said I bet it probably takes place in modern times and they don't know it or something stupid. Low and behold halfway through the movie sitting there I just started laughing because it became obvious and I cannot believe that that was the super surprise ending. It was so stupid that the madman made it happen.

Then he did the Mark Wahlberg film that I tried to watch, but I don't remember anything about it and I don't think I finished it, but the wind would kill you. Think he had another movie also about some fairy that was living in a pool in a crappy apartment complex.

I did kind of enjoy The Visit and Old. He seemed to have at least dialed it back a bit, and for just entertaining horror films, they're not bad.

The movie with James McAvoy and the follow-up for also entertaining. Split was good, and the second was okay, but I wasn't necessarily a huge fan of unbreakable, but at least it was neat to see him doing something in his own created universe, and I can respect that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Lady in the water didn't show the full tard of m night shamaloo?
I don't know I tried to watch that movie and I checked out and never finished it. I know it was just a goofy concept and I'll even know why the hell I was watching it other than maybe it was on cable back in the day.

It just seemed like a piece of shit.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Bryce Dallas Howard saved that movie. The Happening was so bad that not even the adorable overload of Zoe Deschanel could rescue that Turkey.
Was she in the lady in the water because I thought she was in the village. I don't know or remember if she was recast for the next movie.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
She was in both.
I didn't realize that. I remember her in the village because wasn't she blind, and then she was getting chased by the village retard. Don't remember whose name.

I just didn't know she was in the lady in the water or whatever.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I didn't realize that. I remember her in the village because wasn't she blind, and then she was getting chased by the village retard. Don't remember whose name.

I just didn't know she was in the lady in the water or whatever.
It's a stupid fucking movie, but it's interesting and fun. Paul Giamatti gives it his best shot.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It's a stupid fucking movie, but it's interesting and fun. Paul Giamatti gives it his best shot.
He normally does his best regardless of whatever film he's in. I remember seeing him that low budget Don Coscarelli film, the guy who directed The Phantasm series, adaptation of the book John dies at the end. I wonder if their friends or something because it was just such a weird role for him to play for such a low budget film.

Wasn't the best movie but it was fun and at least did a little bit of credit to the book. I just remember watching it and was surprised that he actually was in the damn thing. Maybe it was just an easy payday, but I can't imagine it was a lot of money. Maybe it's just a couple of Italians buddying up calling in a favor.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
the "story" is that he saw her in some obscure play and cast her as the lead in village and again in lady water

or shes ron howards daughter
Didn't she direct a bunch of stupid stuff for the mandalorian?