Trove: Scott's Trion on voxels

gogojira_sl

shitlord

Trion announcedthat we'll have another MMO-sandbox-world-building-Minecraft-voxel game with the upcoming Trove. It sounds a lot like Landmark, but visually looks closer to Minecraft.

From Massively's article:

"One interesting detail we were able to coax from him was that Trove will allow you to multi-class to your heart's content. A player will be able to master all of the classes if desired. Now what these classes are is a fascinating, if unanswered, topic.

What sets Trove apart from other experimental contemporaries (such as, say, EverQuest Next Landmark) is that Trove wants to integrate its creation and destruction within the adventuring experience proper. It's a game first and foremost with a powerful toolset second."

Scott Hartsmanalso confirmedto me via an exclusive Twitter interview that this game will be super hardcore with death penalties and PVP and shit.If you read this, sorry Scott.
smile.png
Also, totally joking.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Actually visually, it makes me think of CubeWorld. Like...almost exactly like Cubeworld, from a graphical standpoint.

Don't know much what to say about this. I have nothing bad to say, but it really feels like big companies are finally starting to copy what Minecraft did with a true sandbox. But throw in the word "MMO". I can't wait for the next bout of clones, including Blizzard's own, then we can bitch about it in 5-7 years from now how we miss the good ole days of just 1 static world with instances like SWTOR, GW2, etc.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
If it actually has more "danger" and PVP Id play this and never look at EQN/L again.

Problem is I saw zero of that from them in Rift so my doubts are strong they will do it here.

With that said , it's going to be interesting to see the competition and comparison between them and SOE. As in , as much as I prefer Hartsman over Omie and Butler ( for some reason ponytail has grown on me more after seeing videos and not smug looking still pics), I just see the EQ name and SOE power overall trumping the recently downsized to hell Trion studios.

Genuinely best wishes to them , but unless it's completely different from EQL/N in every way and has a hook of some sort , they are going to come across as the Voxel clone of EQ and lose this battle.

Caliane

the video implies alot more like terraria, in terms of new worlds, and action/gameplay. "beating worlds" etc. That intrigues me nicely. As it really seems right off the bat here, combat, and a "GAME" is important here.

As opposed to looking at the Landmark, seems to have so much focus on just being dev tools. Minecraft always wasn't quite enough for me as it was mostly just legos. I wanted more game to it.

Character classes, etc. already clearly noted.
This kindof sounds more fun already.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So I guess it's gonna be what Rift didn't end up being? Multiclass, harsh pvp, multiple worlds that I assume can be modified in real time and shit(voxels yay). Too far off to get hyped about it though, I guess I'll check back when they actually have something substantial to show/talk about.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Where the hell is Archage... Trion always has a lot going on and too much it seems based on where the company is... focus ppl.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Archeage is just another failing Korean MMORPG that really offers nothing new. More hotbars, more tab target, more grinds. It looks really cool on paper, but it doesn't really play well from what I've seen.

I've played on the Korean servers and it's pretty stale gameplay. Feels like Aion.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Archeage is just another failing Korean MMORPG that really offers nothing new. More hotbars, more tab target, more grinds. It looks really cool on paper, but it doesn't really play well from what I've seen.

I've played on the Korean servers and it's pretty stale gameplay. Feels like Aion.
I thought the sandbox nature of part of the game was the draw... perhaps that is not as real as people originally claimed. Wonder if Trion is shitcanning it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Maybe they figured it's not worth porting korean games anymore? Especially when they port them 2-3years later and don't have full control on the features and shit due to not having direct access to the code or having trouble implementing shit. Blade&Soul is like that too, shit was announced so long ago but there hasn't been any news forever I believe.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
This game looks like some of the super early concept art of eq landmark before the landmark dev actually had a working game engine and realized they could do way better than super blocky fugly graphics.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Finally got to actually watch the video. I like the style, looks pretty cool. The pitch sounds damn near identical to EQNL, even with the interacting on Twitter and Reddit. Why is the default always friggin' Reddit? Fucking hell.

Also, let's go ahead and confirm that Blizzard is working with voxels, too. Voxels, voxels everywhere.