True Detective

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
eveything vince vaugn was shit, absolute shit. ok and vince vaughn shenanigans was 70% of the episode. the shootout was the only redeeming part and unless there was a major clue discovered from it then it was completely pointless. next week is their last chance to 'turn it around' before i decide if i am bored enough to keep up with it. casting vince vaughn as a major character was a huge fucking mistake.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Don't get the hate, loved this episode. Still like VV, him and Velcoro both had some great quotes in this episode. Loved how Woodrugh after the shootout was all like "yeah, all clear" while Velcoro and Ani were overwhelmed.

VV definitely pushing to the max, although I wish they'd show a little more the clock ticking on him whether or not he can still get back into the land deal for the rail project. He's going to overextend, and there will be some showdown between him and Velcoro. Weird part is I think he actually likes Velcoro, and respects his desire for revenge on the guy that raped his ex wife. Not that he wasn't trying to take advantage of it, but that he still has a soft spot for Velcoro over it.

Slow burn for all the connections between the particular people in power in and around Vinci continued, wonder if mayor really had anything to do with the sexual misconduct charge against Ani or if it was just sour grapes from the subordinate cop fling because he's pissed she dropped him over not letting her fuck him in the ass or whatevs. Seems clear they're hinting at her and Velcoro getting pushed together more, she pretty much severed ties with her partner after the whole reveal that they fucked and that he pretty much dumped his marriage over it and his feelings he still has for her. Not that she gives a fuck.

While the shootout did seem to be a bit of a nod to the incredible single tracking scene from season 1 (also in episode 4), still liked it a lot other than the one part of the episode that really bothered me. How fucking stupid was it for a bunch of cops going in for a raid to be just strolling along in a line quite clearly in sight of the target building taking essentially no precautions? Inevitably a bunch of them got capped, was kind of surprised Deadwood Detective got the head shot, thought we'd get a bit more of a reveal as to him following Woodrugh (noticed he was giving him a funny look at the pawn shop when they found the watch too) before he bought it...but fuck man every other cop who wasn't in the Big 3 was basically a red shirt for that raid.
Thanks for the recap!

What quotes did you like the most?

I liked how Buzzkillarettes was talking to her sister about some memory, and how, like smoking e-cigs, "those moments. You don't remember them, they remember you."

Explosion and a really long shootout? Story is really picking up!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thanks for the recap!

What quotes did you like the most?

I liked how Buzzkillarettes was talking to her sister about some memory, and how, like smoking e-cigs, "those moments. You don't remember them, they remember you."

Explosion and a really long shootout? Story is really picking up!
Thanks! I forgot about that quote. Shit was deep, clearly the best.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
she was going way deep this week with the quotes. she started 2 cliche sayings and to be cool she didnt finish them. "with friends like these....... "and some other terrible line right before they walked into that slaughter.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My only real complaints is Deadwood Dan is dead, and as the True Detective it's going to put a real kink in the case-solving ability of the team. Glad we got him in a scene taking pictures of the might-be-gay cop, seems really important, now that he's dead. OR IS HE?!?!?!

Also, wtf, everyone knows when you end a show in a free-frame everyone should be mid-air jumping for high fives!

I am glad they cleared up last weeks cliffhanger. Would Mr. Semen and the ol' ball and chain talk tomorrow?! Well, he says no, but then they talk.... a lot...

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
NP, you know how it is, sometimes you quote the show, but more often the show quotes you!
Sometimes your worst self, is your best self.

vince-vaughn-wink-o.gif

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I don't think any of the actors are really doing that bad of a job, just some of the dialogue is dumb as shit. Still look forward to watching each episode though, so whatever. Velcoro is awesome.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
The dialogue in some places is legitimately wtf. Maybe I'm just biased against VV, but the shit that comes out his mouth sounds more at home coming directly from a Deadwood character, and it's not working in Vince's favor. There was a lot of heavy-handed psuedo-intellectual existential bullshit getting spouted by people in the last season but it feels so out of place in this particular setting. Shootout was cool, but hopping on the S2 meh bandwagon until stuff starts picking up.

spronk

FPS noob
she was going way deep this week with the quotes. she started 2 cliche sayings and to be cool she didnt finish them. "with friends like these....... "and some other terrible line right before they walked into that slaughter.
They really missed some possibilities

Gh8WB3N.jpg

oOeuGfI.jpg

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think any of the actors are really doing that bad of a job, just some of the dialogue is dumb as shit. Still look forward to watching each episode though, so whatever. Velcoro is awesome.
I agree with this. The writing as a whole just has not been on the same level as season 1. Some of that is to be expected but there is some dialogue where you just wonder what the hell the writers are thinking. I actually didn't mind VV that much this episode but the ultimate problem again is there are just too many characters to focus on and inevitably the ones you don't like (VV) wind up getting more screen time than the ones you do (Velcoro). The problem I'm having this season is at the end of the day, I'm not sure I care that much about who killed Casper.

• 1Like

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The difference in the dialogue between season 1 and 2 is now you don't have it being delivered by someone who is supposed to be a bit fucked in the head by drug use and you don't have Harrelson to yell at it.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
For a show that's supposed to be about a criminal investigation into a weird murder, entirely too much time is being devoted to a former crime boss trying to resurrect his old, little empire. Even though we know VV's place in the grand scheme of it all, so much of that subplot seems inconsequential and a waste of screen time. I don't even blame his middling performance as much at this point. The writing for his scenes is nothing special and there's so much of it that it's just weighing the rest of the show down.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm sure VV's character is central to the overall investigation and may even wind up having him more involved than we think. But you have to actually give a damn about the character first, about his struggle with his wife, his backstory and all that and I don't think most people watching this do.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The messicans were obviously tipped off by the insider that is fucking with VV. They were waiting to ambush Vaughn's people, but the cops just got there first.

And it was a nice detail that gayPTSD was all in his element while the other two were freaking the fuck out over all the casualties. The redshirts were shooting bystanders left and right.

Technically McAdams was in charge of that colossal fuckup, and there's already the misconduct investigation. So hopefully something nutty happens with her.

• 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Technically McAdams was in charge of that colossal fuckup, and there's already the misconduct investigation. So hopefully something nutty happens with her.
Yeah they've definitely laid the groundwork for her to be finished as a cop, at least in or around LA. Maybe she goes the same path as Rust as works the case as a civilian.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
how did that top level of the building blow the fuck up ? Perhaps a predator dropped in heh.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I liked the gunfight except for the 80's movie trope where the gangsters have full autos and they shoot them non-stop for 30 seconds between reloads. For reference, this is how long it takes to empty a magazine on full auto.