Vanguard of the Fallen - My EQ Based RPG Project

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
This looks promising. Well done! When do you anticipate having a build out for some of us to try/test?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
This looks promising. Well done! When do you anticipate having a build out for some of us to try/test?
I have one more big system to implement, the achievement system plus I want to get the world largely populated. At that point I would like to have more test it.

I just added a shared storage system this week , at the inn is a box that any of your characters can use so you can bank loot your class can’t use. This way players are not disappointed by loot drops that aren’t for them plus can have some fun playing twink characters if they want since they will have earned it via at least one legit play through.

Probably two more months, I hope to have the game done by year end,

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
I have one more big system to implement, the achievement system plus I want to get the world largely populated. At that point I would like to have more test it.

I just added a shared storage system this week , at the inn is a box that any of your characters can use so you can bank loot your class can’t use. This way players are not disappointed by loot drops that aren’t for them plus can have some fun playing twink characters if they want since they will have earned it via at least one legit play through.

Definitely gives me a ton of nostalgia, keeping an eye on this, looks like it could be fun!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Have you considered designing an impossible encounter to prevent access to your unfinished content?

• 2Rimshot
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
1725399397836.png

One of the things I've been concerned about is that because players have no wiki it will be hard for them to know what loot they are missing simply becaue the RNG hates them. This is a dynamic I kinda like in that you could play through multiple times and get different items but I've decided to implement a system where after you reach a certain number of kills in a zone this screen reveals the drops that are in the zone. Not the mob that drops them or their location but it at least lets a player know to keep searching if they haven't seen that item and will help completionists who want to know if they are skipping something.

1725399642319.png

They can hover over the item to see its stats and if its a class or an upgrade. While there certainly is upgrades , items and the stat system are designed to promote a player wanting to have more tools in the chest. Meaning you might want max hit points at some point and max Energy Regen in another based on largely by trying to fill current weakness in power that will vary by class.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I’ll take a look at it, when I made the day night cycle I had it doing very fast small increments, and then I got to issues of multiplayer. Some multiplayer games the sun is not synced day for you night for me, I wanted them synced so the sun position needs to be replicated so updating on tick (every frame) is not a good use of resources .

The slower the updates the more the sun moves each update, also length of day. I can smooth it my moving less often but then the day night cycle is very long

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Been wanting to add for awhile just hadn't got to it, but main menu now shows not just your last played character but their name class and level, and you can just hit play without going through the other menu if you want to play that same character.

1725463008496.png

If this was a commercial game I would make little carets on each side of the character that would let you cycle through your existing saved characters, but I want an end date to 1000s of man hours of free work at some point and some things I just have to let go.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
If anyone wants to help me out, could use some people searching on youtube "Everquest in Unreal" and scroll till you find one of my videos (pretty sadly down the list) and then click it and let it play through to completion. Please don't do if you can't let it play because the algo will take that as the video wasn't what you wanted in your search. Just a couple people doing this might help to jump start the algo showing the content when people are looking for those things.

I'm a tad jealous of videos with 5k views of somebody spending a whole 3 days of effort just loading something from EQ into UE then never touching it again. I'm honestly surprised with how many people who have dabbled with it I'm the first I've ever seen take the step of actually making a game. I think people are excited by the idea then when they realize what it will take they just move on.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You’re such a boomer. Here’s all of his videos.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Who are responding to?
Well you, I thought you were just trying to get views. But if searches actually drive the algo’s instead of just views maybe it was boomer ish on my part.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Well you, I thought you were just trying to get views. But if searches actually drive the algo’s instead of just views maybe it was boomer ish on my part.
No I don’t really care about views (was more bitching about such low effort stuff having them )but I would like people to be able to find the project when they are searching for something that shows they would be interested. I can pump attention at any time by posting to Reddit and the EQ forums but would rather wait till I’m close to people being able to play it to do that .

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I underestimated how much time just creating items would take. I don't want to just throw numbers at the wall AND I don't want it to be too formulaic . We've all played games where they make loot just be too obvious, of course its an upgrade just equip it and don't even look at it, then there are games that leave you not sure what even matters and it's near impossible to even tell if you should equip an item or not. Just hit 300 items in the database.

I continue to like playing the game, I don't have a ton of time to play and I'm falling behind implemented content. I have a couple characters in the low to mid 20s and content is up to mid 30s.

When wife and I play it's hard for me to not just hone in on the named spawns since I have an advantage, I try to just let her control where we go. Yesterday I knew there was a drop at the camp we were at for her but she wanted to head to another. Makes me feel good when we can play for a few hours and my bug list note pad has few items. Sometimes its just stuff I think of while playing that I want to tweak but I also don't want to fall into the trap of tweaking it endlessly instead of knowing when to leave it be.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
All outdoor zones are done, content up to level 40. I have 5 more dungeons now to populate and test. Abilities are done to 49, still unsure how I want to handle level 50 ultimate ability. If I gate it behind having certain flags etc. I intend it to be the "I win" button that allows players even if solo to finish the end game content.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users