Virtual Reality

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Next you are going to tell me that throughput doesn't effect how fast sprites appear on my screen in MMORPGs.

Witch!

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Google Earth VR on steam now. Pretty damn cool, you can see landscapes and zoom right down into some cities. Stood on top of the Empire State building and looked out over NY, it's amazingly immersive. Also free.

Siliconemelons

Got to use the HTC the other day...

Impressed: Its speed, motion control reaction etc. After a moment and I got into things it felt natural - but count me in the camp that I would rather sit in a 360 rotating chair than wonder around and shuffle a few steps one way or the other.

Not Impressed: field of view - very circular edges and it didn't seem "that much more" than my stupid phone in a 25$ ebay vr headset... and Resolution: I could see pixles easy, their non standard arrangement (or lenses distortion) was very distracting and again, didn't seem that much better than my phone lol -also my glasses did not fir well what so ever and it was not good.

Looking forward to trying the the rift, its suppose to be higher resolution and fov than the HTC right?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Same resolution, but they use different lens types. Supposedly the Rift looks crisper, but every head unit out right now is pretty 'low res' when you compare how games look on a 4k monitor(or even a 1080p display). It's just very obvious when it's that close to your face. The FOV on the Vive doesn't bother me when I'm actually playing something, but when I'm just chilling and looking around it's definitely noticeable.

Next gen head displays and graphic cards that have hardware catering to them will likely be much better. I'm looking forward to it!

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My rift has been sitting unused in a closet for the past several months ( shitty PC). I am building a new beast PC this week and will have updates on the Rift experience. Can't wait.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haven't messed with mine in ages but I got shipping notice on my Touch controllers today.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
We got a giant couch in my living room now and it totally ruined my Vive playspace. I need a bigger house.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I got to play with a Microsoft HoloLens last night. It was neat for an AR platform. It scans your surroundings really quick like I'm Terminator in a biker bar.

He doesn't have it for gaming purposes though. Hes working on enterprise type solutions.

Want one right now? $5000 please!

spronk

FPS noob
HTC expected to unveil HTC Vive 2 at CES 2017, says report

HTC is likely to unveil its second-generation VR device, the HTC Vive 2, at the upcoming CES 2017 to be held in Las Vegas from January 1-5, according to a Taipei-based Central News Agency (CNA) report.

The Vive 2 is expected to utilize a wireless transmitter to connect with PC systems and come with two 4K displays with a monitor refresh rate of 120Hz instead of 90Hz for the current model, said the report.

Meanwhile, HTC also reduced recently the price of its HTC Vive devices sold in the China market by 10%, apparently to pave the way for the launch of the new Vive 2, indicated the report.

grats early adopters, fucked again

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I just read yesterday that they are not unveiling it at CES. Who's lying?!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I wonder if v1 Lighthouses will work w/ v2. Would consider keeping the whole thing and not try and flip it if that's the case. Not that I ever do that anyways (hi, stack of android and windows tablets in my office).

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, the assumption as an early adopter should always be that you're overpaying for something that's likely going to change(or worse, fail).