Virtual Reality

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
OVR giving free shipping on all preorders. Pretty generous for what I consider a minor setback.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Last night I got an email from HTC that I don't need to worry about my order being canceled due to the credit card charge issues and that they would re-charge. This morning I get an email from them that the order was canceled. Looks like it happened to a bunch of folks on the Vive reddit as well.

Holoportation with interactive environments and skins...At what point does the desk in desktop disappear and everyone has a recliner lounge chair?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got sound to work in BlazeRush by going into my sound control panel and setting the Rift to be the default windows sound device. I was then able to play the game for two hours straight yesterday with no discomfort. I can't believe this cheap 3rd person toy car racing game is the best thing I have going on the Rift right now but it really is. If any of you wind up buying it let me know so we can try out the multi-player.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Vive reviews just started coming out
Review: HTC Vive

Key quotes:
If you have the space for it, for my money, the HTC Vive blows the Oculus out the water as a long term investment.
...Vive a considerably better VR platform of choice for seated play.
Damn, I figured the Vive would likely be a better choice due to room scale, but this is pretty overwhelming.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Canceling my Oc and going with the Vive, given all my games are tied to Steam, just makes more sense.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Another depressing Giantbomb VR stream, lol...

How many years will it be until good content is out? :p

spronk

FPS noob
yeah, VR feels kinda DOA right now with nothing that screams "GOD I GOTTA PLAY THIS NOW" just a bunch of meh vague tech demos. Elite/pCars is cool enough I guess

in retrospect Rift did almost everything wrong at launch. Sending all the first units to Kickstarters is very cool and noble, but has created a huge problem: all the first people getting the units are people who have had DK1 for years, so they don't have much as much hype for the thing. If a bunch of total VR noobs were getting the first Rift units, I think we would have seen a LOT more hype. Not to mention the abysmal communication, shitty storefront software, and completely opaque shipment schedule.

Vive doesn't get off much better though, while the software selection and setup is way better the library is also very underwhelming and the price tag on some of these "games" is just awful. Every single long stream also has everyone complaining about worrying about tripping over cords and musing on how long they will keep a dedicated VR space around for (answer: not long)

still the tiny, core enthusiast market seems VERY into it still - on eBay prices for CV1s are still going for $1k (april delivery preorders) to $1500 (kickstarter units ready to ship). A lot FEWER vive's are selling on eBay, like ~6/day for Oculus but only 1/day (less, really) for Vive.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if I could get a higher price for selling my CV1 preorder now vs selling it when I get it in hand...

It's also really amazing that both the VIVE and the Rift were released at roughly the same time. I wonder if the goofy Rift delays where a few thousand were sent out and then a 2-3 week gap followed was strategic.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
This is a really good video on the Vive, i'm pretty much sold on Vive now over Oculus. It a long video, i'm only about 15 minutes into it at this point, but i had NO clue the vive actually set up a whole playroom based on your actual room... *take my money!!*

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I wonder how many people per year will kill themselves by tripping over the VR cord while playing around with that room space.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
"The only space I can put my precise replica of the Iron Throne from GoT is in my VR room, it'll be fine!"

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
"The only space I can put my precise replica of the Iron Throne from GoT is in my VR room, it'll be fine!"
Who needs any other room, anyway, you can just turn your room into a virtual bedroom, kitchen...bathroom, right!?

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Finally went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Vive and a new video card. Looks like it'll be shipping in May at this point. Can't wait to try out the room scale stuff!

Szlia

I have some friends making a little game for the Gear VR and I tested it the other day. I don't have a point of comparison with the other headsets, but it was light, cordless, confortable and quality of the head tracking impressed me. For the game to run at enough FPS, it had to be pretty rudimentary as far as draw distance and lightning go, but the thing is as powerful as the phone you put in it so it will only get better on that front. The control type is also pretty limited with a single sensor on the side of the headset though I guess you could use a bluetooth controller of some kind if you wanted to?