Volkswagen gets busted.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
lol trucks are actually a lot safer brosky. The only thing even close I can think of to what your saying is that trucks have different cafe standards, but it has nothing to do with commercial uses. Besides, the car companies have to make super efficient cars that no one wants to make up for the numbers of trucks they make. When I bought my last new truck in 2000, I was told manufacturers were actually ending their model years based on when they've made all the trucks they're allowed to make for the year.

If a truck is actually a commercial vehicle, I'd wager the taxes are higher and standards are more stringent. Maybe you're thinking of farm trucks? AFAIK, those generally pay less in taxes and have no inspections since they're not allowed on the road. But that's not even close to being automatic for pickups.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
lol trucks are actually a lot safer brosky.
Oh dear.

Anyway!

uq2aOPR.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So what do you think e-lawyers, I owned a TDI (2012 Jetta) that I traded in just a few days before this scandal broke. Probably lucked out on that timing short term since I planned on getting rid of the Jetta anyways. Think I can claim damages based on thinking I was only making a certain environmental impact when I owned that car due to their deceptive advertising and test cheating?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So what do you think e-lawyers, I owned a TDI (2012 Jetta) that I traded in just a few days before this scandal broke. Probably lucked out on that timing short term since I planned on getting rid of the Jetta anyways. Think I can claim damages based on thinking I was only making a certain environmental impact when I owned that car due to their deceptive advertising and test cheating?
I'm sure there are class action lawsuits all over you can join.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
yep, sign some papers to join a class action and then wait for the check, but it'll be a long wait.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Track down any and all documentation you have on that car especially if you bought it new. The more proof you have the bigger club you probably have in a class action suit.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If he traded it in before the scandal broke and got decent value for it, I fail to see how he'd be eligible for any damages. It's likely that the cheat got him *better* fuel economy than he otherwise would have. As far as the "environmental impact" goes, that's what the EPA fines are for. Anyone who still owns one, yeah, they're going to be taking a big hit on the value of their vehicle.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
If he traded it in before the scandal broke and got decent value for it, I fail to see how he'd be eligible for any damages. It's likely that the cheat got him *better* fuel economy than he otherwise would have. As far as the "environmental impact" goes, that's what the EPA fines are for. Anyone who still owns one, yeah, they're going to be taking a big hit on the value of their vehicle.
I'm suffering emotional damages because I used to taunt Prius owners that my car had just as small of a carbon footprints as theirs based on VW's false advertising... I'm in liberal WA I should be able to go for some punitive damages for that in this state, right?

Anyways I think I did dump that thing right in time. Trade-in BB value was $11.5k, I estimated I could have gotten around $15k if I sold privately, I talked the dealer up to $14k and called it close enough to be worth not dealing with trying to sell privately. I'd be surprised if a dealerORa private buyer would have given me $11.5k just a few days later.

I do wonder if sometime down the road non-fixed versions of the TDI's will be sought after for their performance and gas milage though.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I do wonder if sometime down the road non-fixed versions of the TDI's will be sought after for their performance and gas milage though.
They absolutely will. Just a matter of how far down the road and what value they will keep.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They absolutely will. Just a matter of how far down the road and what value they will keep.
They won't. After sufficient time has passed, most states will account for this and the non-fixed versions with probably get automatic fails for emissions inspections. Most states require you do emissions tests at least every other year.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Depends on how the government handles it. If there is no fix from VW they won't make them illegal. Also plenty of areas in every state have no smog check requirements. Every state I have lived in has had area's like that. These things will still be collectable there. If its illegal in other area's though the value will plummet.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
They won't. After sufficient time has passed, most states will account for this and the non-fixed versions with probably get automatic fails for emissions inspections. Most states require you do emissions tests at least every other year.
I guess. I'm 44 and never had my vehicle test for emissions.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Have you seen the growing list of cars that were cheating? This isn't just picking on VW owners anymore. There might be some exceptions in ultra liberal cities, but I'm going to go ahead and officially predict that they don't do anything about the cars already on the road. Worst case, maybe if your cheat software fails, or you need other major emissions work, they might require you to bring it up to spec, but that's only if someone figures out a way to do it cheaply.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I appreciated the comment from the sister raping waste of life that couldn't spell rule makers. I smiled.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Have you seen the growing list of cars that were cheating? This isn't just picking on VW owners anymore. There might be some exceptions in ultra liberal cities, but I'm going to go ahead and officially predict that they don't do anything about the cars already on the road. Worst case, maybe if your cheat software fails, or you need other major emissions work, they might require you to bring it up to spec, but that's only if someone figures out a way to do it cheaply.
Why would the states that require emissions testing give a crap how expensive it would be to fix the vehicles? It's all out of VWs pocket, not the state. At most they would care about upsetting constituents that get boned by having to take the time to fix their car and I don't think there will be enough of those to raise enough political stink to where any state would care.