Volkswagen gets busted.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Keep supporting VW. Without support the Germans won't be able to prop up thousands of Syrians flooding to their country.

That's what Jeremy Clarkson said yesterday.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Why would the states that require emissions testing give a crap how expensive it would be to fix the vehicles? It's all out of VWs pocket, not the state. At most they would care about upsetting constituents that get boned by having to take the time to fix their car and I don't think there will be enough of those to raise enough political stink to where any state would care.
If it is only VW, it's a different story because they can probably be forced to create a fix if they're not destroyed first. But clear something up for me, isn't there a maximum $ amount that a person is forced to spend to get cars fixed? I remember they had that provision in Texas, and I assumed it was standard for all emissions laws. I forget the amount, but I think it was around $200. If you couldn't get the car up to snuff with $200 or less of work, then the shop gave you a waiver and you passed (the shop actually had to do $200 worth of work first though). That sure makes it sound like the states care how much it costs the consumers.

No, can you link it?
Seems I was mistaken. I think all the brands on the list I saw are part of VW. I just saw Audi and thought it was being discovered that everyone did it.

==========
VW says it is working out how to refit the software in the 11m diesel engines involved in the emission's scandal.

Broken down brand-by-brand they are:

VW - 5m
Audi - 2.1m
Skoda - 1.2m
Seat - 700,000
Vans - 1.8m

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
If it is only VW, it's a different story because they can probably be forced to create a fix if they're not destroyed first. But clear something up for me, isn't there a maximum $ amount that a person is forced to spend to get cars fixed? I remember they had that provision in Texas, and I assumed it was standard for all emissions laws. I forget the amount, but I think it was around $200. If you couldn't get the car up to snuff with $200 or less of work, then the shop gave you a waiver and you passed (the shop actually had to do $200 worth of work first though). That sure makes it sound like the states care how much it costs the consumers.
A quick Google check says in CA you have to have a repair bill higher than $650 in order to apply for aone timetwo year waver. That's all beside the point though, people won't have to pay out of pocket for a recall. The entire bill will fall on VW. Owners should not have to pay a dime.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Well, ofcoursethey're going to say that.
biggrin.png

And yeah - Audi, Skoda, and SEAT are all VW Group so it's the same engine/drivetrain.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel bad for those employees. That plant will most likely be shut down now. This event will resonate with a lot of people who had nothing to do with what happened but are about to have thier lives changed because of it.

It is not funny to me. Because of that reason alone, the fine should have a detrimental effect or it will just be repeated by another company. If this was just middle management trying to be sneaky, then it is a sad state of affairs as it is clear that something like this should have had more checks in place to prevent. If I were the middle management that had tried to be sneaky, my job would not be the only thing I would be concerned about losing.
That was the first thing I thought myself. Any fine big enough to actually matter still won't hurt the people responsible, but the bottom level employees who had nothing to do with this. Winterkorn is no longer CEO, but he's not gonna hurt. Even if he never gets another job, he's rich beyond his needs, and so are the top managers responsible for this (if he wasn't himself). The attitude sadly is now "I can do what I want, if I succeed I get a big bonus, and if I get caught, it's only my company that will eat shit".

The obvious solution is finding out who is responsible, and put these people in prison for a decade.

VW could pass auto peers in payout hall of shame | Considered View | Breakingviews

The article claim that VW as 21 billions euro in net cash with more coming form planned divestments.
I read they had 20 bn Euro in cash reserves half a year ago. Sounds about right.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

Seems I was mistaken. I think all the brands on the list I saw are part of VW. I just saw Audi and thought it was being discovered that everyone did it.

==========
VW says it is working out how to refit the software in the 11m diesel engines involved in the emission's scandal.

Broken down brand-by-brand they are:

VW - 5m
Audi - 2.1m
Skoda - 1.2m
Seat - 700,000
Vans - 1.8m
I don't know if its changed but when I lived in California and had emissions testing there was either no limit to what you could be charged or it was way over 200 bucks.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
lol @ that picture what is up with the metal scraps on the river bank? I mean that is literally the stereotypical look of a polluting factory from every cell-shaded pamphlet about pollution ever made.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
That was the first thing I thought myself. Any fine big enough to actually matter still won't hurt the people responsible, but the bottom level employees who had nothing to do with this. Winterkorn is no longer CEO, but he's not gonna hurt. Even if he never gets another job, he's rich beyond his needs, and so are the top managers responsible for this (if he wasn't himself). The attitude sadly is now "I can do what I want, if I succeed I get a big bonus, and if I get caught, it's only my company that will eat shit".

The obvious solution is finding out who is responsible, and put these people in prison for a decade.

I read they had 20 bn Euro in cash reserves half a year ago. Sounds about right.
The sociopathic pursuit of profit is the entire reason corporations exist. The only thing the managers are guilty of is botching their risk assessment for how likely they were to get caught.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Last week the AP had an article where they figured how many people had died from the pollution to the exact number. Ok then.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Apparently I capped out my limit for telegraph articles this week. Fucking nazis! Next week...

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
People are stupid. A friend posted on Facebook that they were considering a few different vehicles, one of them being a Touareg. Numerous people posted comments along the lines of "OH MY GOD NO DON'T BUY A VW THEY ARE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS". I post something along the lines of "well actually, now is probably a great time to buy a new VW since they'll be desperate for the business. Or if it's a used TDI, the value will be significantly depressed and you'll get a good deal. In any case, VW has 20-30 billion in cash reserves and no serious market analyst is predicting that they will go out of business. Markets wiped out about 30 billion in market cap, but even then it's still worth over 100 billion, give or take. It's not going anywhere." Queue numerous idiots telling me I'm an idiot.

I hate people.

Brad2770

You should have responded with "I know you are, but what am I?" Or "Neener Neener booboo, stick your head in doodoo." That would have shut them right up.