VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Man this works really well. Virtual Desktop gives a lot more flexibility with settings but the steam link app was installed and running in like a minute and looks great.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
A lot to like at the Quest 3 reveal today. We'll see how well they execute. Probably in for 1. Getting closer to some of the things I'm looking forward to with mature mixed reality one day. Game Pass support is coming as well, can stream to a large virtual screen in mixed reality.

View attachment 492548

Also the workout app Supernatural which I've enjoyed in the past cut their price 50% or more, now $9.99/mo or $99/year. Time to get back into that.
That's pretty cool. I completely stopped following things after the Facebook purchase. My only experience since then was setting up the original quest for my nephew. Do they still require you to have a Facebook account? Is there any completely non Facebook way to use this? I'm not sure I trust a driver signed by that company.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That's pretty cool. I completely stopped following things after the Facebook purchase. My only experience since then was setting up the original quest for my nephew. Do they still require you to have a Facebook account? Is there any completely non Facebook way to use this? I'm not sure I trust a driver signed by that company.
Same.

The creepy shit you expect Facebook to do with your usage, eye tracking, etc data is still going to be done without a Facebook account.

I really do think tech like this (and many other modern techs) are a window into your soul, and terrible people are more and more capable of looking through that window and using the insight to get you to act in predictable ways. The ability to track eye movements and correlate to stimuli is not an insignificant step further down that road.

I'm sure I'll give in again eventually, but it'll probably be after I'm baited into giving up every other freedom by some random implant or 3-pussied sexbot.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
  • 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Anyone make the jump from Quest 2 to Quest 3?
I had a Quest 2 for about 3 hours before I boxed it up and sent it back. This was 3 years ago.

I bought a Quest 3 today. I've been playing with it for about 4 hours. Well, 2 hours playing, 2 hours charging. This thing eats batteries and charges SLOW.

Quest 2 vs 3. 3 has slightly higher res, but it is still firmly stuck in 1998 era resolution for games. Yes, the GPU on the SOC is 2x faster, but it was slow and wildly outdated on the Q2, and doubling it does exactly fuck all three years later because it was shit to begin with by about 5 years.

The Q2 has Fresnel lenses which are trash. This one has non Fresnel lenses, but they are still trash. On this model, the light from the LCD shines on the lenses which gives them a foggy effect and is usually very distracting. Even worse, I can't get them dialed in at all for pupillary distance and focus which means that everything is soft and a big cross-eyed or wall-eyed effect. I didn't have this problem with the Q2.

Yeah, Q3 does have higher res, but it is still very low res and not quite useful. Further, the FOV still sucks. Find an Amazon box roughly the size of your head. Poke two tiny holes in the front with a ball point pen. Put the box on your head. <<<<<<<<<<<- this is Meta's VR experience. A normal human has 200+ degrees horizontal FOV and 130 degrees vertical FOV. This cuts it down by easily 98%. The ole pinhole in an Amazon box trick! Sure, you can get a 100 inch big screen on VR, but you can only see 10 inches of it at a time...what's the fucking point?

Software still sucks, and it is still by accident that Steam VR shit works at all on it. Speaking of software, it still sucks and the best games you could get on the Q2 in 2020 are still the best games you can get on the Q3 in 2023. I thought that Alyx sucked in 2020 and I still think it sucks in 2023....and it is still their headline game.

Sure, they have a Mixed Reality free game, but it is only fun for 5 minutes, and no one will be using this for AR unless they like broken ankles, knees, and necks.

Further, the Q2 was uncomfortable wear, which they kinda solved by selling you $70 headbands and face units....that for some reason no longer work on the Q3. The Q3 is 40% thinner than the Q2, but it weighs exactly the same. A 1.1 lb brick resting in your nose is still a 1.1 brick resting on your nose.

Also, yeah...this thing smokes batteries. Expect a 1:1 use/charge cycle on this pile of shit. 1 minute of use, 1 minute of charge. Seriously, WTF are these asshole smoking?

I forgot what I paid for the Q2. $300 seems to ring a bell. The smallest price for the Q3 is $500 which is laughable because for every small upgrade it has, it has equal downsides....which in terms of progress makes it a much worse product because this little pile of shit costs a lot more and delivers no improvements at all.

Q2 was a 0/10...and this is a 0/10. Save your receipts! Don't buy one from a place that doesn't have an easy return policy.

1416422349406-3348103419.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I had a Quest 2 for about 3 hours before I boxed it up and sent it back. This was 3 years ago.

I bought a Quest 3 today. I've been playing with it for about 4 hours. Well, 2 hours playing, 2 hours charging. This thing eats batteries and charges SLOW.

Quest 2 vs 3. 3 has slightly higher res, but it is still firmly stuck in 1998 era resolution for games. Yes, the GPU on the SOC is 2x faster, but it was slow and wildly outdated on the Q2, and doubling it does exactly fuck all three years later because it was shit to begin with by about 5 years.

The Q2 has Fresnel lenses which are trash. This one has non Fresnel lenses, but they are still trash. On this model, the light from the LCD shines on the lenses which gives them a foggy effect and is usually very distracting. Even worse, I can't get them dialed in at all for pupillary distance and focus which means that everything is soft and a big cross-eyed or wall-eyed effect. I didn't have this problem with the Q2.

Yeah, Q3 does have higher res, but it is still very low res and not quite useful. Further, the FOV still sucks. Find an Amazon box roughly the size of your head. Poke two tiny holes in the front with a ball point pen. Put the box on your head. <<<<<<<<<<<- this is Meta's VR experience. A normal human has 200+ degrees horizontal FOV and 130 degrees vertical FOV. This cuts it down by easily 98%. The ole pinhole in an Amazon box trick! Sure, you can get a 100 inch big screen on VR, but you can only see 10 inches of it at a time...what's the fucking point?

Software still sucks, and it is still by accident that Steam VR shit works at all on it. Speaking of software, it still sucks and the best games you could get on the Q2 in 2020 are still the best games you can get on the Q3 in 2023. I thought that Alyx sucked in 2020 and I still think it sucks in 2023....and it is still their headline game.

Sure, they have a Mixed Reality free game, but it is only fun for 5 minutes, and no one will be using this for AR unless they like broken ankles, knees, and necks.

Further, the Q2 was uncomfortable wear, which they kinda solved by selling you $70 headbands and face units....that for some reason no longer work on the Q3. The Q3 is 40% thinner than the Q2, but it weighs exactly the same. A 1.1 lb brick resting in your nose is still a 1.1 brick resting on your nose.

Also, yeah...this thing smokes batteries. Expect a 1:1 use/charge cycle on this pile of shit. 1 minute of use, 1 minute of charge. Seriously, WTF are these asshole smoking?

I forgot what I paid for the Q2. $300 seems to ring a bell. The smallest price for the Q3 is $500 which is laughable because for every small upgrade it has, it has equal downsides....which in terms of progress makes it a much worse product because this little pile of shit costs a lot more and delivers no improvements at all.

Q2 was a 0/10...and this is a 0/10. Save your receipts! Don't buy one from a place that doesn't have an easy return policy.

View attachment 504309
You need a better charger. Vorph linked an anker one earlier and it keeps it at 100% while playing np. Needs a certain watt/Amp and power delivery (think laptop charging over usb). To me all vr games are way clearer and defined. Steam also natively supports wireless vr with a steam link app on the headset. Still needs way more games. Lucky to get 1 worthwhile entry in a year and Alyx is probably still the bar to beat although asgards wrath 2 is getting good buzz and launches today.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You need a better charger. Vorph linked an anker one earlier and it keeps it at 100% while playing np. Needs a certain watt/Amp and power delivery (think laptop charging over usb). To me all vr games are way clearer and defined. Steam also natively supports wireless vr with a steam link app on the headset. Still needs way more games. Lucky to get 1 worthwhile entry in a year and Alyx is probably still the bar to beat although asgards wrath 2 is getting good buzz and launches today.

Did you ever play Walking Dead in VR? Heard that was pretty good.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
PSVR2 is actually being supported well enough. Resident Evil 4 recently released their VR mode, this time with trophies if you care about that stuff (Village didn't). For a console VR platform, it looks pretty amazing. These kinds of ports are perfect, because frankly the VR platforms are all filled with intern quality shovelware, or cutesy low graphics games. Nice to have a triple A title for once.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I started playing Ancient Dungeon VR on the PS. It's surprisingly good.

• 1Solidarity

faille

Molten Core Raider
PSVR2 is actually being supported well enough. Resident Evil 4 recently released their VR mode, this time with trophies if you care about that stuff (Village didn't). For a console VR platform, it looks pretty amazing. These kinds of ports are perfect, because frankly the VR platforms are all filled with intern quality shovelware, or cutesy low graphics games. Nice to have a triple A title for once.

So much this.
I haven't found a compelling reason to be VRing anything yet.
couple of minutes of Beat Sabre and thought it was ok, but not really a killer app.
Alyx I haven't touched properly yet, had trouble setting up the controls for it.

I'm still happy I got it since a major reason was to 'revisit' attractions I couldn't get enough of my recent holidays, like Pompeii, Louvre, etc. So it serves that purpose well enough

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I definitely think beat saber was a killer app, particularly so once I figured out how to install custom songs. K-pop isn't my shit.

The low-poly, slow motion gun game is another but I can never remember what that fucker is called.

Other than those two, I never saw anything I'd rather play in VR instead of just using a controller and TV.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I definitely think beat saber was a killer app, particularly so once I figured out how to install custom songs. K-pop isn't my shit.

The low-poly, slow motion gun game is another but I can never remember what that fucker is called.

Other than those two, I never saw anything I'd rather play in VR instead of just using a controller and TV.
Superhot I assume? I'm way behind on anything VR, but Gorn and Pistol Whip were pretty great if you haven't tried them.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I started playing Ancient Dungeon VR on the PS. It's surprisingly good.

Even though literally 1 posts above yours I was bashing cutesy graphics, the difficulty and gameplay of this game is pretty goddamn nice. It runs super smooth, and makes sense that it's in VR with pixel perfect slashes and parries; you can diagonally cut the grass and it shows.

It is really hard though, only made it to floor 3 so far, and they threw a new enemy that takes good timing with parries, and spawned 2 of them for my first go at it, bastards :p

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Love stuff like this. This is the future of all the things, and relatively soon. Just need the hardware and software to get there and it will only get more and more accessible.

In probably the dozen years we're going to look back and laugh that we had to look at a little 6 inch phone or 10 inch tablet for help with something.