War with Syria

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What is Israel postured to do?

Seems to be like the more bullshit going on in the middle east with Syria the easier it is for Israel to quietly build more settlements.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm just guessing. Completely out of my ass. I really don't know. But what I do know is that Assad is a vocal supporter (and supplier) of the various Palestinian groups, militias, and causes.

So basically trading the strong central authority of Assad's government for a factional, infighting, diffuse authority... I would think they'd view that as a lesser evil. And when it comes to blowing shit up and fuck what anyone thinks, they aren't exactly shy.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Children are dying!

Seriously.. that is the argument. The US is now the protector of the world's children.
And no one protects the world's children like America

videoslider-300x168.png

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'm just guessing. Completely out of my ass. I really don't know. But what I do know is that Assad is a vocal supporter (and supplier) of the various Palestinian groups, militias, and causes.

So basically trading the strong central authority of Assad's government for a factional, infighting, diffuse authority... I would think they'd view that as a lesser evil. And when it comes to blowing shit up and fuck what anyone thinks, they aren't exactly shy.
My crazy guess is that it is part of a long term strategy to go after Iran. Wreck shit in a bunch of the weaker countries and when they are all still in shambles go after the Big Dog. If we started at the top of the ladder all of the little guys might get involved and attack Israel or something but if you go from the bottom up than there's nothing for anyone to do but sit and watch. We'll even get handed the perfect justification down the road when we get hit from blowback from our little adventures. Some nobody whose life we ruined and family we killed will get recruited by Terrorist_Group_01 and when he hurts or tries to hurt Americans on American soil it'll be discovered he has ties to Iran.

JUST THINK IF HE HAD NUCLEAR MATERIAL BACKPACK NUKE RICIN DERKA DERKA JIHAD TERRORIST STATE

And we'll be at war with Iran.

edit - or we just want to run a U.S. interest controlled oil pipeline through Syria

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
My crazy guess is that it is part of a long term strategy to go after Iran. Wreck shit in a bunch of the weaker countries and when they are all still in shambles go after the Big Dog. If we started at the top of the ladder all of the little guys might get involved and attack Israel or something but if you go from the bottom up than there's nothing for anyone to do but sit and watch. We'll even get handed the perfect justification down the road when we get hit from blowback from our little adventures. Some nobody whose life we ruined and family we killed will get recruited by Terrorist_Group_01 and when he hurts or tries to hurt Americans on American soil it'll be discovered he has ties to Iran.

JUST THINK IF HE HAD NUCLEAR MATERIAL BACKPACK NUKE RICIN DERKA DERKA JIHAD TERRORIST STATE

And we'll be at war with Iran.
Did you learn from NAM that you can't just beat people at a battle and leave. You have to occupy. Rebuild, restructure.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did you learn from NAM that you can't just beat people at a battle and leave. You have to occupy. Rebuild, restructure.
Did you learn from Iraq that you can't just rebuild a country after a war? You have to get out of that shit as soon as you blow it up.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
The narrative is that it's a human's rights crisis and we have to stop it.

It is a humanitarian crisis, but we can't really stop it and I don't think we can make it better. From where I stand the only way to help the situation is to side with Assad.
Why haven't we stepped up in Sudan/Darfur then? Not enough oil?

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
The worst part (outside of WWIII starting) is that when we have US ground troops in Syria and we have a rash of green on blue attacks since the rebels are the same fucks who hate us.
Maybe this will devolve into the typical shitfest we have seen, with our troops getting deployed. However I think this is going to be another remote war like Libya. I think drones and missiles and RC helicopters armed with fireworks are going to be the weapons of choice. If they keep pushing the remote aspect, eventually people will be able to go to war like any other 9-5 job. Blow up some jihadests and be home in time for dinner, what could be better.

If we fully automate shit, how could anyone ever complain about going to war again? Just have a bunch of unmanned floating weapon platforms cruising around the oceans that destroy anyone that try to fuck with them, and serve as launch sites for all our other toys.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The narrative is that it's a human's rights crisis and we have to stop it.

It is a humanitarian crisis, but we can't really stop it and I don't think we can make it better. From where I stand the only way to help the situation is to side with Assad.
I think it's more about Qatar wanting to build a gas pipeline to ship its gas through Turkey to the EU. They need to go through Syria and Assad is refusing because Russia doesn't want competeting gas pipelines.

If Assad would just let Qatar builds its pipeline we coud end WWIII before it begins.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Copy pasta from Reddit:

Of course we heard this before. The threat to global security and the better meant of the mankind has been used over and over again. We'll continue to see this being used. The history dates back to after WW2, when the U.S. changed from a non interventionist and transformed into a believer in Hegemonic stability theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hegemonic_stability_theory). The gist of it is, we need to be the strongest, most powerful nation and sometimes that could mean jamming a stick in the bicycle wheel of potential competitors. What it does not mean is being altruistic hence why you always hear strategic interest, to this end nothing else counts as long as the people at home do not revolt.

As for people revolting, I really do not see that happening. The populace is much to docile to really inconvenience themselves that much. Even if a group wanted to change the system through voting they would be decimated as deranged loons by the mass media. You are not going to stop it. It is coming and that is all there is. Democrat, Republican, doesn't matter, the train is moving and there are no brakes to slow it down and you are not getting off.
This is probably what Obama found out when he got his first debriefing. Before the debriefing he was talking about dialogue with Iran, after his debriefing he was talking sanctions with a look on his face of a changed man. Someone do a before and after if you wish, I watched it live.

For the rebels, it is suspected the U.S. has been directing them on the battle field. One of the tactics used is highly reminiscent of Patterns of Conflict (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patterns_of_Conflict). Since I know half of you won't read it, the basic idea is, you attack positions at what appears random, hold ground, when the enemy comes you pull back and pick another target, this makes the enemy expend resources which also reveals their hand. After being duped enough times, the Syrian army started to surround areas before attacking so they could kill the retreating rebels. The rebels started taking significant losses and the cracks started appearing. A rebel commander did a taped interview threatening to reveal the west secret if they did not receive immediate military support.What was the secret? Perhaps the chemical attacks were falsified? What we do know is a bunch of Rebel commanders started to behead each other. Most likely turf wars and also to intimidate any doubting in the ranks.

Now, you might think Assad is the most terrible guy in the world. Then you may watch the rebels behead priest Fran?ois Murad NSFW, (NSFW:http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ead_1372329728) children and citizens cheering on the act.
You might find yourself in a bit of a moral quandary. If you have a rational mind, you'll understand these are the archetype of people that are going to rule the country when the government is destroyed. Make no mistake, the U.S. intelligence already knows this and it does not change anything. We'll get into this later.

But why are they stalling if everything is decided already? There is an attempt to persuade Russia into accepting it and turning their back on an ally. The Saudi's are supposedly tempting the Russians with hegemonic price controls with OPEC. That would be price fixing 45% of global oil pricing. Supposedly they also the promise to make the Chechen terrorist problem disappear, as long as they obey. What ever the carrot they're using it does not appear to be working. Russia seems to know they'll end up with the stick any which way they go. However, Russia did something even greater that threatened the hegemonic dominance of current power centers. They attempted to create a new world bank with China, Brazil, India, and South Africa. BRICS, as it is known, is to be a competitor to the World Bank to offer fairer financing for non western aligned countries.

But let's get back on track to the most likely moves that will increase the dominant hegemonic power and decrease the competitors. The first thing to realize is public opinion does matter, if it is overwhelming. The problem with the wars is the U.S. casualties. Obviously with the radicals they found a way to circumvent this problem. The relationship between the U.S. and the radicals is like a sick perverted one between family members. We trained them, make them do our bidding, then punish them when they don't obey and ultimately will destroy them.

It was interesting that I watched an interview of a former Taliban member that came to realize this. He said after being trained by the Americans and fighting the Russians, the Americans came back and killed them years later. Now he tells potential fighters heading to Syria to avoid the jihad and stay home because in the end they too will just be pawns. The interviewer asked him if it really had any effect at all on these men and he replied that he had stopped at least 150 people or more from going.

One question might be, well what happens to these fighters after we train them, won't they just come back to attack us? Well you see, that is the beauty of the current plan. First, realize these guys don't possess the ability to produce advanced weapons. They do not pose a catastrophic threat to the United States and it is safe to say the government feels they can be managed. If they do manage attacks against the U.S. it will only be used to justify our continued presence.
Another angle is the fact that Syria is not the last battle field to keep them occupied. After Operation Iraqi freedom, Iran became a huge trading partner to Iraq. Not that there isn't almost daily bombings in Iraq now, but after Syria, I expect heavier operations to move there.

Erdogan is sitting pretty in Turkey right now but I imagine he will also be targeted by the group. I would also foresee campaigns started against Russia if they don't fall in line. The radical fighters will be transitioned to their front. Considering there is only 100 miles from Turkey's border to Russia's, this is already on Putin's radar. We already moved 60% of our most advanced hardware into China's backyard. Labeled the Asia pivot, we have effectively negated their ability to respond. If they do respond, with the oceans ours and their ally Iran under siege, they will be starved for oil, much like we did to the Japanese.

Keep in mind, a lot of this posturing. Effective posturing has the potential to gain objectives without war. It's basically a stare down. Yeah, I'm going to kill your friends, yeah I'm going to run your neighborhood, but what are you going to do about it, nothing. After all the main objectives are completed, hegemonic dominance restored and the dollar secured, we'll be left over with a huge radical problem in the middle east. Some radical groups will no doubt go against the grain and believe they are immune or have the ability to resist U.S. pressures.

Nightly on the news they'll start harping over the humanitarian abuses, lack of human rights, the daily beheading and so on. After public opinion has been won, we'll begin mop up operations.

Thus the warning from that Taliban fighter to stay home on jihad day will come to fruition.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably nothing but some twitter chatter indicating that there's been some, or one, explosion in central Damascus, close to the Presidential palace

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I think it's more about Qatar wanting to build a gas pipeline to ship its gas through Turkey to the EU. They need to go through Syria and Assad is refusing because Russia doesn't want competeting gas pipelines.

If Assad would just let Qatar builds its pipeline we coud end WWIII before it begins.
Why don't they run the pipeline through Iraq into turkey? Why does it have to go through Syria?