War with Syria

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
All politics or parties aside

You honestly think there are enough Republicans in the House willing to side with Obama on literally ANYTHING? Enough to get this shit passed? Come on bro. Come on.
Yes.

Literally is a srs bsns word.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Dude its war.

Republicans in Congress have yet to meet a war they didn't instinctually vote yes on.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
COME ON. GOBCOMEON.GIF

We are talking about the same house that hasn't passed a budget in like 3-4 years, whatever it is. They couldn't even agree to give health care to 9/11 first responders.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It'll have some Republican opposition from the likes of Rand Paul, but 2 out of every 3 or more will vote yes on it.

Same in the Senate. Its just plain Un-American to not want to bomb the darkies, obviously.

rrr_img_42184.jpg

rrr_img_42185.jpg

rrr_img_42186.jpg

rrr_img_42187.jpg

rrr_img_42188.jpg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You guys are crazy. I hereby avatar bet you ladies that no more than 30% of Republicans in the House will vote for this bullshit.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
You guys are crazy. I hereby avatar bet you ladies that no more than 30% of Republicans in the House will vote for this bullshit.
That's still enough to pass a resolution to bomb. McCain is already all-in, sure he is in the Senate but that should show you that Obama will find the Republicans he needs.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Dude, the 2002 vote for war in Iraq had 40% Democrat support at the time Democrat voters were in the streets screaming no blood for oil and only a year and a half after Bush flat out stole a highly contested election from the Democrat's heir apparent, its happening.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That's still enough to pass a resolution to bomb. McCain is already all-in, sure he is in the Senate but that should show you that Obama will find the Republicans he needs.
That's enough assuming all the Dems are in, which is another crazy assumption. I'd go lower than 30% but I'm not sure exactly what the crazy hawk contingency of the Republican party is as far as numbers these days. No way this resolution happens.

iannis

Musty Nester
McCain has been all in for years and has gathered entirely unimpressive support on the issue.

As for democrats, when Hillary suggested a pre-emptive action years ago when Assad began having troubles, she was quietly informed to shut the fuck up about Syria. The underlying question is the same as it was then: where is theprofitin this?

They might vote for it if the Saudi's pay us. But the Arab League seemed to think we'd do this one pro-bono like last time.

Newp.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What do you think the dem vote will be?

Personally I think those congressional weasels will get together and vote in a way that makes the vote barely fail while letting as many chickenhawks vote for war as possible.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Long range goal is to isolate Iran as much as possible.

Syria is one of their biggest allies in the region.

rrr_img_42189.jpg

Personally I think those congressional weasels will get together and vote in a way that makes the vote barely fail while letting as many chickenhawks vote for war as possible.
Yup.

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
Holy fuck Hodj, that map gave me a flashback. Thanks bro.

Good move by the president today. If the nation goes to war it should be with the approval of congress.

iannis

Musty Nester
That's fine, and true, but don't forget in considering that that there is a risk an action like this would do the exact opposite. If the United States is seen as a clear aggressor (which if he launched a strike tomorrow, we would CLEARLY be, you can't wrap the flag tight enough around that bullshit to hide the stink) it's entirely possible that support for Iran solidifies.

That long range goal is not served with this short range "police keeping" action. It makes no sense to sell the threat of chemical weapons for the threat of nuclear ones.

It was in his speech. Obama knows how unpopular the idea is. He does know that throwing it to Congress kills the idea. What there is positive in throwing it to Congress is in the debate of the issue, and a more cohesive agreement / understanding of the issue among prominent party leaders-- so that when the next opportunity presents itself (which it will), maybe that opportunity will serve us better.

It could hardly serve us worse than what he's proposing to do.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

That sounds likely. If pressed that is what I would say, that just enough Democrats will vote for the resolution to make sure it doesn't pass, the rest against.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
That sounds likely. If pressed that is what I would say, that just enough Democrats will vote for the resolution to make sure it doesn't pass, the rest against.
You really think the Dems are going to vote against bombing, when such a vote can only be seen as weakening Obama?