WarCraft (2016)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Let's assume this is a massive success... WoW is what twelvish years old from beta and stale as fuck and no more RTS on the horizon? Maybe we'll get WC Adventures finally or something. Feels like they stand to gain basically nothing unless it's a breakout success? I guess they could merchandise it pretty heavily, Lego Warcraft would be too much to ask for so maybe Warcraft Megablocks.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Let's assume this is a massive success... WoW is what twelvish years old from beta and stale as fuck and no more RTS on the horizon? Maybe we'll get WC Adventures finally or something. Feels like they stand to gain basically nothing unless it's a breakout success? I guess they could merchandise it pretty heavily, Lego Warcraft would be too much to ask for so maybe Warcraft Megablocks.
Warcraft Megabloks have existed for years. As well as Starcraft Megabloks, in fact.

As far as this movie goes, yes it's basically Warcraft 1 + 2, it will follow the stories of both Anduin Lothar and Orgrim Doomhammer/Durotan in parallel, with the war between Orcs and the Alliance (Elves, Dwarves and Humans) taking place. Also, the movie will feature Medivh (seen above) and Khadgar who is just now becoming his apprentice after leaving Dalaran, they'll be the first to encounter the Orcs. On the Orc side, we'll have Ogrim of course, and Durotan (seen above, who looks a bit too human but probably because he's supposed to be a good Orc so I guess that's how Hollywood does it), Garona (seen above) Gul'dan (seen above), Blackhand.. basically a lot of the warlords, but a few will probably only get cameos or mentions. I expect the movie will end with the destruction of the Dark Portal, the birth of Thrall somewhere in a camp, and the meeting between young Varian (now a refugee going to Lordaeron after the sacking of Stormwind) and a young Prince Arthas.

If they do it correctly, they could setup a sequel to be Warcraft 3 / Wrath of the Lich King. Now THAT would be fucking badass to see.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I personally loved Orcs vs Humans (Warcraft I) and Tides of Darkness (Warcraft II). So, if it is actually following the storyline of the videogames in actual chronological order, I am completely for it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I personally loved Orcs vs Humans (Warcraft I) and Tides of Darkness (Warcraft II). So, if it is actually following the storyline of the videogames in actual chronological order, I am completely for it.
I thought the Warcraft story was fine all the way up through War3 and Vanilla WoW, it wasn't until Burning Crusade and the Space Goats that it really started to get stupid.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Same. I remember reading the Warcraft I and II instruction manuals, with the bad ass pictures and description of the lore. If they can match those visuals and stick to that story, it could be amazing.

rrr_img_103254.jpg

Chris

Potato del Grande
Warcraft Megabloks have existed for years. As well as Starcraft Megabloks, in fact.

As far as this movie goes, yes it's basically Warcraft 1 + 2, it will follow the stories of both Anduin Lothar and Orgrim Doomhammer/Durotan in parallel, with the war between Orcs and the Alliance (Elves, Dwarves and Humans) taking place. Also, the movie will feature Medivh (seen above) and Khadgar who is just now becoming his apprentice after leaving Dalaran, they'll be the first to encounter the Orcs. On the Orc side, we'll have Ogrim of course, and Durotan (seen above, who looks a bit too human but probably because he's supposed to be a good Orc so I guess that's how Hollywood does it), Garona (seen above) Gul'dan (seen above), Blackhand.. basically a lot of the warlords, but a few will probably only get cameos or mentions. I expect the movie will end with the destruction of the Dark Portal, the birth of Thrall somewhere in a camp, and the meeting between young Varian (now a refugee going to Lordaeron after the sacking of Stormwind) and a young Prince Arthas.

If they do it correctly, they could setup a sequel to be Warcraft 3 / Wrath of the Lich King. Now THAT would be fucking badass to see.
I hope it's just Warcraft 1 but also introducing some Warcraft 2 characters (Doomhammer), there is too much shit to happen if they have the Warcraft 2 storyline also.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I thought the Warcraft story was fine all the way up through War3 and Vanilla WoW, it wasn't until Burning Crusade and the Space Goats that it really started to get stupid.
What's weird is Metzen did much of the lore and world building of WC2, Starcraft 1, and D2. He even wrote a Warcraft novel in 2001. I guess he wanted to break the mold too much and just went full retard. (You never go full retard.)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I hope it's just Warcraft 1 but also introducing some Warcraft 2 characters (Doomhammer), there is too much shit to happen if they have the Warcraft 2 storyline also.
In the lore Doomhammer was important well before he killed Blackhand and took control of the horde. If the main characters are indeed Durotan and Anduin, the story will be about Durotan refusing the blood of Mannoroth, Medivh going crazy and bringing the orcs to Azeroth, Lothar and Khadgar killing Medivh, Garona killing King Llane, Stormwind being sacked, and maybe Lothar leading the exodus to Lordaeron at the end.

rrr_img_103259.jpg

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah. I think they should skip over the demon lore in this one, just like Warcraft 1. Delve into it in for the sequel. Have Demons/Warlocks appear but don't go massively in depth explaining who Guldan is working for, leave some mystery. Maybe the big reveal at the end when Medivh dies is him being possessed by something fucked up which is manipulating both Humans and Orcs, then the sequel has the quest for the Tomb of Sargeras giving detail.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
If they're going to have sequels let's hope they can crank them out faster than once a decade.

Siliconemelons

Yeah WC1 and 2 had good plots and where not to convoluted - 3 started it to get a little overzealous as did vanilla - a lot of retconning (even changing landmasses etc) but then BC and beyond was just cray cray...

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If Durotan is a main character then obviously a significant chunk of the story will revolve around the horde being corrupted by the burning legion, because the only things he is known for are being Thrall's father, and refusing the blood of mannoroth. I mean I don't understand how you can have Durotan and Lothar be the two main characters of your movie when they never even come close to one another. Unless they're Metzening the story. Durotan never participated in the first war, the Frostwolves were exiled by Gul'dan as soon as the orcs crossed over into Azeroth.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Serious question: if Durotan refused the blood, why is Thrall's skin green? Was he born brown?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
All the Frostwolves are green. Has to do with absorbing a bunch of fel energy when they still lived on Hellfire Peninsula. Also, Durotan allowed his shamans to be trained as warlocks, he just refused the blood of mannoroth.

I mean really it was an inconsistency that they had to explain away when they came up with orcs originally being brown. But the Frostwolves were corrupted too, they just never took that last step and they abandoned the use of warlock magic after they were banished to the Alterac mountains, regaining their shamanistic roots.

Chris

Potato del Grande
you can drag for 360 view

Cathedral is in the wrong place but I'll give them a free pass since the city was destroyed and rebuilt between Warcraft 1 and 3.

However the Warcraft 2: Beyond the Dark Portal hero statues (Khadgar and friends) seem to be there... erm... what?

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Cathedral is in the wrong place but I'll give them a free pass since the city was destroyed and rebuilt between Warcraft 1 and 3.

However the Warcraft 2: Beyond the Dark Portal hero statues (Khadgar and friends) seem to be there... erm... what?
That's just a demo for the promotion of the movie, it's not going to be Stormwind from the movie, it's current Stormwind.