Washington D.C.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
To echo what people have said here, see the monuments. Even though the Washington is surrounded in scaffolding, it looks pretty cool when it is lit up at night.

As for restaurants, I'd say go to Old Town Alexandria to get a lot of decent food. For bars and what not it depends where you are staying as there has been weekend track maintenance on almost all tracks every weekend for well over a year. Personally I prefer Bethesda or Old town for bars just because if I ever need a ride back from someone, either of those places aren't complete hell to get to via park/highway at night.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Shake Shack and get some custard with your burger.
Fuck shake shack. My wife and I went to one the 5th of July for their corn dogs (only have them some holiday weekends), and they were shit. The special custard also sucked for the holiday.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn that sucks, never gotten anything other than their normal menu burger and custard and its always been on point.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I think it's because we went to the one that just opened up on F street. Should have drove the extra time to go to the Dupont one, but it was the 5th of July and tourists everywhere.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
People who have spent time in/around DC or grown up/lived in the mid-Atlantic and did countless school field trips and other visits have an easy time saying "the monuments are meh!" But really if you've never been to DC you should see at least Lincoln Memorial and Wash. Monument (yeah its covered in scaffolding now I'm afraid). The Korean and Vietnam war memorials are nearby and actually pretty moving. Jefferson Memorial is cool too. I actually think all this stuff is just as cool to take in after dark now when the summer and full on mid-Atlantic humid heat is upon us.
So much this. I moved to the Leesburg/Ashburn, VA area 2 years ago and I swear at least once a month we were taking the train out to the mall when we first moved here.

Bacon_sl

shitlord
ZyyzYzzy_sl said:
I think it's because we went to the one that just opened up on F street. Should have drove the extra time to go to the Dupont one, but it was the 5th of July and tourists everywhere.
That's a pretty good assumption. I'm gonna have to side with Krassus on Shake Shack. That place is legit. And what are you doing ordering corndogs at a burger joint?! I want to slap people that order hot dogs at Five Guys.

If the OP wants a true gut grenade experience, you can always go to a Nationals game. Despite their record, they have a Ben's Chili Bowl, Shake Shack, and Dippin Dots at the park. Bring your testing supplies!!

rrr_img_37310.jpg

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Their corn dogs are only there for a couple weekends a year. They aren't on the normal menu, that's why we got them.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's rent like in an area close to the Reagan Building? I always think about doing a few years there for work but don't want to deal with a commute...

Bacon_sl

shitlord
ZyyzYzzy_sl said:
Their corn dogs are only there for a couple weekends a year. They aren't on the normal menu, that's why we got them.
Huh, odd seasonal menu item. You get a pass then, kind sir. Although anything with little to no bacon should have raised your suspicion...

Convo_sl said:
What's rent like in an area close to the Reagan Building? I always think about doing a few years there for work but don't want to deal with a commute...
NW DC, blocks away from the National Mall? Dupont Circle has 700 sq ft apartments for $3k, 1500 sq ft for $5.5k. I deal with the commute.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
It was on the best thing I ever ate and allegedly amazing. After trying not so much. You should make cornbacon. Batter a bunch of bacon on a stick and deepfry it.

November

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any nice hotels downtown that aren't outrageously expensive? I've traveled to DC for work and stayed at the Comfort Inn Convention Center. It was nice just to be close to everything, but damn if the hotel isn't more expensive than the airfare.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Since I live near DC I don't have a ton of experience with hotels, but given the prices of everything else in the middle of the city, I can't imagine there are any cheap ones that you'd feel safe and comfortable in. Of course, that also depends on your definition of cheap.

Your best bet is probably to get a hotel towards the end of some of the metro lines and take the train downtown.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
What McCheese said. Look to stay in Virginia or Maryland near a metro. Bethesda has the Hyatt (I think) right next to a red line metro stop and there are plenty in Arlington and Alexandria close to metros.

Sulrn

Deuces
Crystal City has rooms ~140 if you book early. Cheaper if you're a member of the various hotel reward programs. I'm back here again and find myself enjoying another great pizza and beer at District of Pi.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
we use hotwire and can get a room at say the hilton or some other 3 star boutique hotel for 110 including tax and all that shit.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm still considering moving here for work.. Where is a good spot for the late 20's early 30s crowd. Ideally around the single girls! I heard Crystal city is good? Not sure I want to spend more then 1500 a month on rent

Simas_sl

shitlord
I'm still considering moving here for work.. Where is a good spot for the late 20's early 30s crowd. Ideally around the single girls! I heard Crystal city is good? Not sure I want to spend more then 1500 a month on rent
Living anywhere cool will be expensive. Just find something where your commute doesn't suck and then drive/Metro to do things on the weekend.

I'm not 100% sure about Crystal city for night life, but I don't think its cool for that. It's offices, hotels, and a mall, though not a bad commute into the city.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Adams Morgan or Dupont Circle if you want a night life. If you want Northern Virginia look at Claredon or Ballston. Nothing is cheap. 1500 is the low end of rent in these areas.