Watch and frisk at the movies?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i dunno how much of this will become a reality, but its pretty fucking lame, just makes me not ever want to go to the movies anymore. im already down to only once or twice a year.

Think NSA Snooping Is Bad? Check Out MPAA Theater Security | Threat Level | Wired.com

Hollywood studios are urging theater operators to crack down on in-theater camcording with the deployment of night-vision goggles, low-light binoculars and security cameras.

The latest version of the Motion Picture Association of America's "Best Practices to Prevent Film Theft" (.pdf) also suggests old-school surveillance, like "random bag and jacket checks for prohibited items" and to "observe patrons" when entering the theater.

"Look for the unusual, such as someone wearing a long or unseasonably heavy coat in warm weather, odd shapes outlined in pockets or patrons carrying shopping bags. If any of these are observed, please take a closer look," the 12-page memo advises.

Camcording and industry leaks are the top methods of choice for movies to find their way to file-sharing sites like The Pirate Bay and on unauthorized DVDs. Camcording is a federal felony carrying a maximum 3 year penalty. The District of Columbia and 41 states also have their own laws against it.

The MPAA guidance urges theater employees, who are eligible for $500 rewards, to call the police immediately if they think illegal filming is occurring. "Let the proper authorities determine what laws may have been violated and what enforcement action should be taken," according to the memo.

The document also asserts a top rule practiced by all the world's spy agencies: Trust no one.

"Be aware of 'friends' of staff," the protocol warns. "Does one member of your staff frequently have 'friends' joining them at the theater at odd times? Look for non-employees coming or going out of the projectionist's booth or those arriving at odd hours claiming to be 'friends' of an employee or manager."

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This would only encourage me to stay home and pirate movies more often. I think the majority of "true" pirated movies (i.e cams/recorded in theaters) happen overseas anyway, where no one gives a fuck.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
though i cant imagine a theater is going to pay for a set of expensive night vision goggles for a 16 yr old usher to go around checking customers while they watch a film, let alone a bunch of them. and if they catch somebody, then what? you gonna call the cops on them? and if they're wrong? what if they are black and claim they were profiled? is the kid going to get fired and the theater gets a bad name for being nazis? yeah good luck with that.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Who actually watches those shitty camcorder movies anyway? Just wait for the movie to come out on dvd and THEN pirate it.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Who actually watches those shitty camcorder movies anyway? Just wait for the movie to come out on dvd and THEN pirate it.
Yeah, exactly. I don't know how you guys watch those cam versions. If I want to see a movie when it comes out, I pay to go to the theater (although I'm not above movie-hopping if it works out). Otherwise I wait for the bluray rip to come out a few months later, which is usually several weeks before I could have bought/rented it anyway.

I'm not saying I've never watched a cam rip, but for the most part I just don't even understand why you guys would *want* to watch those shitty versions if you are even halfway excited for the movie. I rarely watch a movie twice unless it is several years later, so I want my first viewing to be a good one.

I'd be perfectly fine if cam rips disappeared completely.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i watched a stream (ie i do not download movies) of the cam version of Thor 2 last night, the picture and sound quality was terrible and it probably negatively influenced me on the movie. i think thats only the second time i watched a cam movie this year. i probably should have waited for thor 2 to come out on video. still the MPAA has nothing to worry about, had i not watched that crappy cam copy, i would not have bothered going to see it at the movies anyway. it was basically a time killer for me. besides all these cam copies are made in foreign countries where nobody gives a fuck whats going on.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This isn't a thread about a Xbone exclusive cam version of an Antonio Banderas movie in awful resolution?

McCheese

In my experience, cam versions are really popular overseas where movie theaters a) suck, b) aren't easily available, or c) movies are released much later than elsewhere.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yea i'm pretty sure the cam-rips primarily occur overseas and also are primarily viewed overseas. Still makes you wonder why they couldn't stream the dvd/blu-ray rip just like they stream the cam rips tho...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Any effort they make to make my movie watching experience less enjoyable will result in a huge hit to their profits, so I'm not really worried about it.

also lol @ sam Fischer prowling around

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
agreed at lul to Sam Fischer

I get distracted by the bright glowing Exit signs - they borderline convince me to leave. Adding anything else will get me closer to that point.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Movie industry has their heads so far up their own asses. What a bunch of idiots. Subjecting people to searches is going to drive more revenue away from movie theaters than it will save from people pirating.

This isn't the airline industry where people have no choice. The choice here will be to just stop going to movies. It's really like these dipshits are trying to destroy their own industry.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Can't you just record with any modern smart phone now anyways or do they not have enough memory or whatever?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Can't you just record with any modern smart phone now anyways or do they not have enough memory or whatever?
Definitely not enough storage for a 1.5 hour movie, and the resolution/sound quality would make it nigh unwatchable.

McCheese

The last few "big" movies I've gone to see, such as Iron Man 3 and Thor, the manager came out just before it started and told us that we'd be asked to leave if we were caught using our phones (not talking, but just generally having them out and turned on).