Watch and frisk at the movies?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think this is true at all. There are lots of movies that do fairly poorly in the U.S./North America but make up for it with huge numbers overseas. Overseas markets provide a huge amount of money to the movie industry, as far as I know.
I don't think the overseas markets that have massive video camera piracy audiences due to shitty theaters are the same oversea markets that rake in lots of cash.

ie: developing countries in Asia, Africa. You don't believe there's shitty theaters in Europe so we'd prefer camrips on our CRTs.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I don't think the overseas markets that have massive video camera piracy audiences due to shitty theaters are the same oversea markets that rake in lots of cash.

ie: developing countries in Asia, Africa. You don't believe there's shitty theaters in Europe so we'd prefer cam rips on our CRTs.
Just looking quickly at overseas numbers for Pacific Rim, it looks like Malaysia brought in over 6 million dollars, Mexico 16 million, and Russia (with other CIS countries such as Kazakhstan) over 20 million. There is plenty of money to be had in these shithole countries. For comparison, Germany brought in just over 6 million and the UK 12 million.

Nice movie theaters are a relatively new thing that is still developing in a lot of these countries, so I think the popularity of cam rips will begin to slowly die out as more and more theaters are built and more and more people are able to afford to see movies.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
A lot of those Asian countries have weird standards that have led to quite a few innocuous movies being banned on the continent.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Just looking quickly at overseas numbers for Pacific Rim, it looks like Malaysia brought in over 6 million dollars, Mexico 16 million, and Russia (with other CIS countries such as Kazakhstan) over 20 million. There is plenty of money to be had in these shithole countries. For comparison, Germany brought in just over 6 million and the UK 12 million.

Nice movie theaters are a relatively new thing that is still developing in a lot of these countries, so I think the popularity of cam rips will begin to slowly die out as more and more theaters are built and more and more people are able to afford to see movies.
Keep in mind that the studios keep a lot less of the revenues from overseas box offices than they do in North America. I don't know the exact numbers offhand, but just because a movie "made" 100 million overseas doesn't mean that the studio will see much more than a third or a quarter of that money.