Watch and frisk at the movies?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Chuk watches about 99.9% of the movies from camcorders. Good ol' American stealing.
thats completely not true. a better statement would be i watch a handful of new movies each year without paying and 99.9% of those were dvd/br/r6 rips. there just isnt much worth watching anymore, judging by how dead this forum is im not alone.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I completely disagree. I continue to find numerous movies every year that I thoroughly enjoy watching and am happy to pay for. Then again, I'm a pretty easy to please guy and it doesn't take much to make me happy. It would suck being such sour pusses like most of you bums.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
The cinemas here sometimes use NVGs on big midnight launches but during movies they will just randomly come in and flash an almost unnoticable green laser pointer up into the audience, supposed to do something to interfere with recording devices.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i remember the last time i bought a cam'd video, it was probably around 1998-99 my gf and i were walking around ny somewhere, who remembers what college kids do. it was 5bucks a vhs tape, which seemed like a deal since it cost 3.99 from blockbuster... heck it was probably more, and they crazy charged you an arm and leg for being late. bought 2 movies we were gonna watch anyway, came back, 1 was blank, the other was barely viewable.

as far as i know, these guys still sell the same videos on the streets, only they actually try with HD-cams and they burn it to dvd's, probably for 5 bucks still.

you know, some ppl... really can't tell the difference between SD and HD, some ppl don't even know that you can hear sound from 2 speakers instead of 1, much less 5.

i'm under the assumption that these street guys have a source in the movie theatres that just lets them record at night for 50bucks, why not.

movie theatres are probably the last safe haven for an enjoyable viewing experience... i mean what's the last concert any of you guys went to, fricking 90% of the ppl have a smartphone out and all i end up see are lcd screens waving about, trying to record.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
If the movie theater experience wasn't so horribly overrated and expensive, people wouldn't have to pirate anything. Naturally people will always do it, but every time I've went I just get reminded why its better to stay home and wait for someone to cam the release or rip the dvd for download.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
eventually the movie industry will get a fucking clue and start releasing their big films On-Demand the same day as they theatrically release and it will stop the camcording and they will make a shitload more cash.

Rime

<Donor>
eventually the movie industry will get a fucking clue and start releasing their big films On-Demand the same day as they theatrically release and it will stop the camcording and they will make a shitload more cash.
I would actually spend money in a situation like this, rather than wait for them to hit the bargain bin or borrow a new release from a friend.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I would actually spend money in a situation like this, rather than wait for them to hit the bargain bin or borrow a new release from a friend.
i assume the studio suits are nervous about releasing a big film on demand because they think people will pack in their friends and relatives to mooch a film they might have paid for. while thats possible, its not likely. when pay-per view was new people did crowd over someone's house to watch a new film or a sporting event. nowadays, people stay home and want the convenience of turning on their own tv, getting out of their clothes ordering takeout and watching a good film in their undies while eating dinner. for every person that watches a new film at someone's house instead of paying at a cinema, they will gain 2 or more that would not have gone out to the movies at all.

iannis

Musty Nester
Sounds like an ineffective solution to a marginal problem.

It's probably the 16 year old concession stand workers that they hire and pay minimum wage doing it anyway. You sell one box of juicy fruits and you've paid that kids salary for the night.

They got bigger problems than some third world camcorder rips of the latest Batman movie.

Rime

<Donor>
i assume the studio suits are nervous about releasing a big film on demand because they think people will pack in their friends and relatives to mooch a film they might have paid for. while thats possible, its not likely. when pay-per view was new people did crowd over someone's house to watch a new film or a sporting event. nowadays, people stay home and want the convenience of turning on their own tv, getting out of their clothes ordering takeout and watching a good film in their undies while eating dinner. for every person that watches a new film at someone's house instead of paying at a cinema, they will gain 2 or more that would not have gone out to the movies at all.
Mind you, Pay-Per-View movies (when I was a kid at least), were in the double digits for a rental, while sporting events were $40+.

I would happily pay $5-8 to a watch a movie that just hit the big screen on my home entertainment system.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Mind you, Pay-Per-View movies (when I was a kid at least), were in the double digits for a rental, while sporting events were $40+.

I would happily pay $5-8 to a watch a movie that just hit the big screen on my home entertainment system.
aye, first PPV event i saw was tyson vs spinks or whoever that dude was who got beat in 90 seconds. me and a bunch of friends chipped in for it. i would pay around ten bucks no sweat to watch a new film on my setup at home as well. i really dont like going to the movies that much anymore, the seats are always broken and the fucking kids are annoying and they keep the theater so fucking cold i get hypothermia. fuck that shit more than once or twice a year.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The theater I go to is starting to get that old sweat smell to it, no matter which theater, no matter which seat. It's like I'm sitting between a couple of fat, sweaty nerds.

I still go because I enjoy seeing a movie I'm really looking forward to on the big screen, but it definitely is becoming less and less of a habit.

Regardless though, I still won't watch a shitty cam version of something. I have been known to watch say, a Korean web-rip with hardcoded subtitles though, because I can literally tune out the subtitles with my brain and not even notice they are there, since I have zero clue what they say. If it is something even remotely similar to English, like even Spanish, German, French, etc...I can't watch it because all I do is look at the subtitles and try to compare the English they are speaking to the language on the screen. So that's about as low of "quality" I'll go, only if it is WAY earlier than the bluray is coming out, but typically I don't even download DVD rips because I know the bluray is around the corner and I'd rather see it in 720p/1080p.

EDIT: Yeah, it was Spinks like you said.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I was in a makeshift 'theatre' on a teeny island in Alaska, and they had a Cam version of the Lone Ranger. It was hilarious, kind of like watching Mystery Theatre 3000. One lady in front of the guy with the camcorder kept getting up, we all were shouting at the screen like Rocky Horror Picture show everytime someone got up in the copy. It was more fun than the movie would've been alone.

Fadaar

That guy
This would only encourage me to stay home and pirate movies more often.I think the majority of "true" pirated movies (i.e cams/recorded in theaters) happen overseas anyway, where no one gives a fuck.
Ding ding ding. There's a reason the first cam rip of every movie has Russian or Chinese subtitles. Which I am somewhat thankful for actually, since I got a cam copy of The Avengers right before I deployed last year (April 30th). So once we got all settled in at work we were able to watch it before it even hit theaters in the US.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Ding ding ding. There's a reason the first cam rip of every movie has Russian or Chinese subtitles. Which I am somewhat thankful for actually, since I got a cam copy of The Avengers right before I deployed last year (April 30th). So once we got all settled in at work we were able to watch it before it even hit theaters in the US.
Are they not allowing haji to sell stuff in the fobs any more? A dude would come in with a van full of shit including pirated dvds of all the latest film releases. It was like china town on wheels. Everyone I know that was in the military calls them haji cams for this reason.

Fadaar

That guy
Are they not allowing haji to sell stuff in the fobs any more? A dude would come in with a van full of shit including pirated dvds of all the latest film releases. It was like china town on wheels. Everyone I know that was in the military calls them haji cams for this reason.
We were at Camp Lemonnier in Djibouti, not Afghanistan. I've heard stories about the rolling haj-mart at places like Bagram though.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In my experience, cam versions are really popular overseas where movie theaters a) suck, b) aren't easily available, or c) movies are released much later than elsewhere.
Yes, but then again why even care about Kazakhstan and Indonesia market? I thought the movie industry judged a movie's success exclusively by the NA box sales.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Yes, but then again why even care about Kazakhstan and Indonesia market? I thought the movie industry judged a movie's success exclusively by the NA box sales.
I don't think this is true at all. There are lots of movies that do fairly poorly in the U.S./North America but make up for it with huge numbers overseas. Overseas markets provide a huge amount of money to the movie industry, as far as I know.