WDTV/ Roku Streamers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Some newer LG home theater systems play almost all file types from USB too.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
WDTV can definitely do that. I have 2 WDTV boxes. Both have USB ports and I have my external media HDs just plugged into those, rather than my PC. Works great. The boxes can see the all of the HDs, as well as any folders I want to share across my network from my PC. Basicaly I have 3TB external drive for TV shows, 1 3TB external drive for movies, both of those plugged into a WDTV and every device on my network can see them, desktop, laptop, tablets, etc. I also have my newly downloaded torrent folder shared on my main PC, and the WDTVs can play that stuff too, if I've been slacking on copying new downloads over tho the external drives.

Works great with all file types. mkv, avi, wmv, mp4, etc.

The *only* slight negative to the WDTV is that the interface is a little slow and clunky, and the remote that comes with it is tiny as hell(and doesn't glow in the dark/backlight, so it's impossible to see when watching a movie in the dark)

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
WDTV can definitely do that. I have 2 WDTV boxes. Both have USB ports and I have my external media HDs just plugged into those, rather than my PC. Works great. The boxes can see the all of the HDs, as well as any folders I want to share across my network from my PC. Basicaly I have 3TB external drive for TV shows, 1 3TB external drive for movies, both of those plugged into a WDTV and every device on my network can see them, desktop, laptop, tablets, etc. I also have my newly downloaded torrent folder shared on my main PC, and the WDTVs can play that stuff too, if I've been slacking on copying new downloads over tho the external drives.

Works great with all file types. mkv, avi, wmv, mp4, etc.

The *only* slight negative to the WDTV is that the interface is a little slow and clunky, and the remote that comes with it is tiny as hell(and doesn't glow in the dark/backlight, so it's impossible to see when watching a movie in the dark)
Fantastic, thanks. You described the exact setup I'd like to do.

One final question: I'm trying to do this on a budget (thus dropping cable to save money). Is it necessary to get a WDTV Live, or could I get away with the cheaper WDTV Play?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Can I ask why you are stuck on wd tv and not just a roku box with plex?

I wish we could get a consolidated thread for this kind of stuff. We have a couple threads here and one over in product reviews.

McCheese

I wish we could get a consolidated thread for this kind of stuff. We have a couple threads here and one over in product reviews.
Well, like I said the vast majority of what I watch is straight from USB storage. It just seems simpler to plug that directly into a single solution (WD TV) than have a Roku and Plex and stream it from my PC.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

I had my WDTV Livess before I even knew Plex and Rokus existed. I've had them a long time, probably 4-5 years(bought them when they first released, maybe 2009?), and they work great for what I do so I've never bothered to switch over. I don't really care about features like having cover art or things like that. I just want a big list of all my files, that works for me.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Can't really comment on WD TV, but I'm pretty sure that a Roku can do more or less what you're asking of it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WDTV is pretty straightforward plug and play for me, not long transcoding etc. Occasionally I'll get a file where the audio won't work though, that's obnoxious.

I have the cheapest oldest version bought refurbished through woot a few years ago. Might have to upgrade some day.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Speaking of WDTV, I have a WDTV-Live which is wireless. After a few days it gets INCREDIBLY SLOW. Like menu navigation gets all sluggish and playback takes a while to buffer in. I have to power it completely down and back up to fix this. It seems like the wireless signal has degraded and a reboot is required for it to re-establish a clean connection.

Anyone else seen this issue?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Or, maybe it was designed with the assumption that the user would shut it off once a day, thus forgoing the programmers from having to fix any slow memory leaks.

Which do you think sounds better, that, or magical fairies eating your wifi signal?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
For reference, my Roku has been powered on for 6 months with no issues. You can't even power it down, other than manually unplugging it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Speaking of WDTV, I have a WDTV-Live which is wireless. After a few days it gets INCREDIBLY SLOW. Like menu navigation gets all sluggish and playback takes a while to buffer in. I have to power it completely down and back up to fix this. It seems like the wireless signal has degraded and a reboot is required for it to re-establish a clean connection.

Anyone else seen this issue?
I get this on my old Roku2 from time to time. It's about 3 years old.

McCheese

Update: After about a year of constant use my WDTV Live shit the bed about a week ago. The remote stopped working about a month back, as well, so I had been using a digital version on my tablet to control it. I really liked my WDTV, and I loved how easy it was to watch my massive storage of downloaded tv shows/movies. However, given the shoddy craftsmanship (remote/box dying in under a year, fuck you WD) I decided to go with a Roku this time.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My boxee ain't doing so well either. Is roku 3 the best available for this type of product? It's over a year old but I see no news for new products. Almost makes me want to put the extra money for a new htpc.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You really don't need anything more than a Chromecast + Plex in you home, unless you have to be wired because you are regularly streaming full blu-ray, uncompressed video rips(the big 40-50 gig ones). My Chromecast does just fine with ~10-15 GB 1080p rips over wifi. I have two WDTV Live boxes gathering dust ever since I got two Chromecasts for our two main TVs.

If you were already using a WDTVLive or Roku wirelessly, just get a Chromecast.

fris

Vyemm Raider
i got the roku 3 because the remote has a headphone jack, perfect idea for the bedroom tv. we're using it w/ a PC monitor though, and since the device never turns off, the moniotr never goes dark at night unless one of us gets out of bed to turn it off.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I actually bit the bullet and ditched my Boxee this month and went for a HTPC build.

The new Intel NUC boxes are amazingly powerful for their price.

I bought this box:
Amazon.com: Intel NUC BOXD54250WYKH1 Intel 4th Gen Intel Core i5-4250U with Intel HD Graphics 5000: Computers Accessories

Slapped an old Intel 520 SSD in it and 8G of cheap laptop ram and called it a day.

I run Kodi beta client (formerly XBMC).
Kodi | Open Source Home Theatre Software

The thing is blazing fast. Scrapes all 7TB worth of my data in less than a minute, has FAR fewer errors or "unknown" results that the Boxee did. It's just a monumental leap ahead in performance and now I actually have a full blown PC in my living room. I have a wireless keyboard for typing and bought a $20 bluetooth card to pair with my Harmony remote for media control.