WDTV/ Roku Streamers

Lusiphur

Peasant
I am running Plex on a Ubuntu box (HP Homeserver) to a Roku 2 and while I had the same issues with mkv's at first (freezes and lockup's). It has, however, been smooth as butter for the last two months. I have probably thrown about 100 different files at it in that time and had no issues at all.
That being said I did bitch at the devs a fair bit about it.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I got my flirc in and set it up, and everything is fucking awesome now. With one exception. Several of the menus in XBMC/Aeon Nox are accessed through right-clicking the mouse, on particular areas of the screen no less (for example, right clicking on a specific episode of a show, that menu is what I'm talking about). Is there any way to simulate this on a standard (non-keyboard/mouse) remote? Same with the top "pull-down" menu, both in XBMC and the different one during movies that accesses things like subtitles. I might be missing alternate ways of navigating to some of these menus as well, but I can't seem to figure them out with my remote. Am I doomed to always need a mouse handy for such things?

Grayson Carlyle

Golden Squire
I have a WDTV Live! and aside from not supporting newer codecs my only issue with it is the lack of support for subtitles besides displaying plain text. Advanced timings, multiple subtitles, colour, position, format, font, etc... are all not supported. Are there any network streamers (I don't care about internet streaming; I just want to open files on a shared folder on my PC and play them) that are good with subtitles and newer codecs?

Maybe I should just get a really long cord and make my TV a 3rd monitor as one of the inputs.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I got my flirc in and set it up, and everything is fucking awesome now. With one exception. Several of the menus in XBMC/Aeon Nox are accessed through right-clicking the mouse, on particular areas of the screen no less (for example, right clicking on a specific episode of a show, that menu is what I'm talking about). Is there any way to simulate this on a standard (non-keyboard/mouse) remote? Same with the top "pull-down" menu, both in XBMC and the different one during movies that accesses things like subtitles. I might be missing alternate ways of navigating to some of these menus as well, but I can't seem to figure them out with my remote. Am I doomed to always need a mouse handy for such things?
Figured out the answer to my own question. It seems that menu I was referring to is called the context menu, which has an alternate keyboard shortcut of "c" so all I needed to do was program one of the buttons on my remote to send a "c" and it works great. There are keyboard shortcuts for everything in XBMC it seems, so if in doubt you can do pretty much anything you want via programming something to those keys.

System is working great now. The only thing I need to figure out now is how to permanently exclude certain files from being scanned every time it updates files. For example, the sample files I've mentioned before sometimes show up as a duplicate of the movie. I went through and removed all of them from the library (not my computer) once, but the next time it scanned they were all right back. I don't want to delete them permanently for seeding purposes, but I don't want them re-scanned every time either. I haven't really looked into it much yet so maybe it is a quick and easy solution, but if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Since this seems to now the be XBMC help thread (or at least that's what I'm hijacking it for), got a quick question.

People on the XBMC and OpenElec forums indicate that, with the menu Vvoid references above, you can change information about a Movie / TV Show if it is incorrect. So far not having any luck. Can't remember exactly what it was (Cube, maybe?) showed up as a 1970 move, but when I go to the context menu there isn't an ability to change it. I can view show information and what-not, but can't manually search for what it should be. Anyways just thought I'd ask.

Also, in case it comes up for anyone, it looks like XBMC removed the ability to manually add videos to your library (Can't Manually Add Movies to Library). I've had a few that it flat refuses to add even after multiple scans. Apparently creating your own .nfo files with the correct structure will fix this.

Lastly, guess I need to buy a Flirc to use my Harmony so along with the mSSD that'll probably be next set of toys. I could set up the 'info' but to be the 'C' context menu.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Since this seems to now the be XBMC help thread (or at least that's what I'm hijacking it for), got a quick question.

People on the XBMC and OpenElec forums indicate that, with the menu Vvoid references above, you can change information about a Movie / TV Show if it is incorrect. So far not having any luck. Can't remember exactly what it was (Cube, maybe?) showed up as a 1970 move, but when I go to the context menu there isn't an ability to change it. I can view show information and what-not, but can't manually search for what it should be. Anyways just thought I'd ask.
I'm not looking at it right now so I can't remember if I'm telling you the exact terms correctly, but when viewing the movie/show information, hit refresh. That will allow you to properly select it, like the issue I was having with Castle vs. Castle (2009). Once you choose it, it seems to remember it properly forever after.

As far as the part about manually adding movies, it seems that is probably somewhat related to my inability to manually remove them without deleting as well. It isn't 100% where we'd like it to be it seems unless you rigorously construct your file structure, which kind of sucks for continuous seeding.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah without a 'clean' folder structure I don't think there is a way around it. You can possibly look for a plugin that will ignore *sample* in filenames, not sure.

Did you update to the latest FLIRC beta firmware? It was really good for a Harmony remote, I can't remember if you have one like me.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I got the latest firmware that was listed, if it wasn't the beta then I guess not. However, I don't have a Harmony (well I do, but it is over 5 years old and ate batteries like candy), I have a super awesome $9 RCA remote that I was turned on to from the AVS forums, and I love it. It is configured nicely where you aren't moving your hand all over to find various buttons, it has capability for macros, and does everything I want it to. Works great with the flirc too.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Damn thing is sold out with 6 week lead time? Sheesh

Oh, finally home and able to look at this. Yeah you were right, the way to manually change it if it picks the wrong movie is the 'Refresh' option, which is under the 'Move Information' section, not the actual context menu. Thanks a bunch.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Damn thing is sold out with 6 week lead time? Sheesh
Yeah, I had to order it from a place in the UK, got here in about a week and a half. If you want I'll look it up and give you the info.

EDIT: By the way, I've pretty much solved most of my issues through extensive googling. I was able to add a few lines to my advancedsettings.xml file that eliminates anything with the word "sample" in it, so once I deleted them again, they stayed deleted.

The naming algorithm is pretty damn robust too. It wouldn't automatically identify movies 2-8 of a Hellraiser pack I downloaded, probably because it was named something like "Hellraiser8 THC", but going to each individual file and just having it search for "Hellraiser 8" for example, brought up the exact right one each time. I was worried it would just bring up every Hellraiser movie, and since they aren't really numbered after 3 I figured I'd have to look up the order myself, but nope, it brought up only one result every time (the correct one).

Really happy with this setup now. All I need to do now is stop being lazy and make it auto login and load XBMC so I don't have to type in a password, and then maybe create some way to shut down from the remote control as well (probably just map a particular keypress or two) so I don't need to touch the mini BT keyboard/mouse thing at all. It amazes me how fucking fast this thing boots up too, btw.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I shutdown my htpc through the XBMC exit menu - check your options next time and see if you can.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I shutdown my htpc through the XBMC exit menu - check your options next time and see if you can.
Are you running yours through Windows? I don't have an option to shutdown anything but XBMC, but admittedly I only did some cursory looking around right now. I spent the majority of my time getting the remote and library functions set up first, now I'll deal with the punch list items to make it perfect.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it in the options. Now it shuts down Windows entirely, just like I wanted. Thanks!

Now all I need to do is have it auto-load XBMC, which I have a webpage for favorited somewhere, I just have to do it. That will have to wait until tomorrow though, as it is getting late. That should be just about everything I can think of though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Small updated, installed the SSD today on the NUC in place of running OpenELEC off a USB drive and it is 100% better. It probably isn't verifiable or anything, but almost all the issues I had before (menu stuttering, files not streaming, random crashes) are gone. Granted it was a shitty thumb drive I picked up at some conference, so I'm sure it was the lowest of the low quality.

Now if Amazon would only update their app for PS3 my life would be great. Can't watch more than 1 minute of anything in the bedroom without it stopping due to "insufficient bandwidth." PS3 speed tests at like 8-9 Mb/sec up and 3.5 Mb/sec down, so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
So what are good remote/interface options for an HTPC? I've got a wireless keyboard that works fine, but I'm having trouble with the mouse. The couch is a good 10 feet away from the box. I've read of people using a nexus 7 tablet and an IR blaster? Are those Logitech wireless touchpads worth a shit?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
For computer use from the couch I use the Logitechkeyboard+trackpadthingy.

For actually using the media software and controlling the home theater in general I use a Logitechharmony.

I'm using the IR receiver from aWindows MCEremote for the harmony to HTPC.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Yeah ive got a Harmony 600 I use for all the AV components, was just having trouble finding something I really like for the HTPC. That MCE remote with the IR receiver looks like it may do the trick.

Thanks!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Personally I use a Logitech Performance MX mouse for my HTPC. Works fine on almost all surfaces (wood grain of my coffee table not so much), and has a range of at least 30 feet. Works well enough on my couch cushions to surf the web etc, with a soft mouse pad it's decent enough to play FPS's although not great. I also have a little Microsoft Bluetrak something or other mouse that I use with my laptop that also seems to work pretty well on mediocre surfaces like couches, bed sheets etc. Don't remember the exact model. Pretty sure it has a 30 foot range as well.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I bought this to use because I pretty much only use it at the very beginning when I turn it on, and randomly if a movie needs subtitles turned on or something. It works well enough. I wouldn't want to do a lot of Windows tinkering with it, but for a quick 15 second use here and there it is more than adequate. It charges via the same cable I have running near my chair for my phone, Kindle, etc. so that makes it nice too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Bringing this thread back to life! I read over all the info here, but I wanted to make sure nothing has changed since it's kind of old information by now. What I want is to be able to have a usb stick plugged into my tv with the bulk of my viewing stored on it, but with the option to stream things from my PC if I need to.

My situation is this: 75% of my TV is downloaded video files, 20% is Netflix streaming, and 5% is done via official network websites (abc.com, cwtv.com, etc.). From what I gathered from this thread, the best solution for me would be a standard HDTV (i.e. not smart) and a WD TV box. WD TV handles lots of file formats, lets me plug in usb storage so I'm not relying solely on streaming, but gives the option of streaming if/when I need it. Am I correct in all of that, and is it the best solution for my situation and desires?