We the People.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Dept of Energy; They fund it because congress allocates funding for bullshit research as a district-provided stimulus. No reason to fund it because NRC forbids anything other than U-238/U-235 based reactors in the US.
Thanks, Obama.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Research h would be funded privately based on economy. So if it has practical application and money can be made from it then that drives funding. I honestly don't believe in the pie in sky we will move technologically past our problems belief. I think alot of you guys make your living doing this kind of work and inherently you believe you are part of the community that will save humanity with research. I think is Narcissism that drive your belief in tech.
I don't even.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Our military should be like roman military. When not at war, they should be building and fixing infrastructure.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Research h would be funded privately based on economy. So if it has practical application and money can be made from it then that drives funding. I honestly don't believe in the pie in sky we will move technologically past our problems belief. I think alot of you guys make your living doing this kind of work and inherently you believe you are part of the community that will save humanity with research. I think is Narcissism that drive your belief in tech.
Problem with privately funded researched is that it's not publicized. There's no giants to stand on if all the giants are locked in a cellar in a company's basement.

This is actually a problem in my field of research (autonomous vehicles). All the best tech is owned by Google, Ford, Tesla etc and isn't public domain. So I can't look at how they solved problems. Instead I have to look toward the papers written by grad students at CMU/MIT who haven't gotten a job at those places yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Problem with privately funded researched is that it's not publicized. There's no giants to stand on if all the giants are locked in a cellar in a company's basement.
This is actually a problem in my field of research (autonomous vehicles). All the best tech is owned by Google, Ford, Tesla etc and isn't public domain. So I can't look at how they solved problems. Instead I have to look toward the papers made by grad students at CMU/MIT who haven't gotten a job at those places yet.

This. Also, a lot of companies just don't throw money at basic research, because they are short sited and need their ventures to be profitable.

• 1Like

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Oh, and titan_atlas, this is why I asked my question. I know shit about neutronics. I've found someone who is an expert on neutronics who disagrees with a statement I made. Now I get a chance to learn instead of trying to argue from a standpoint of ignorance.

Ok so taking that I will reply. I am a bartender. I spend my time talking to people and I get an amazing cross section of education, religious beliefs, political beliefs and since many times people are drunk I get to hear what people really think and are concerned with. So I would say my "expertise" is practicality and Human interaction.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Because Carter made the restrictions or because he made the stimulus? I was assuming the stimulus came from the Obama stimulus package.

It had nothing to do with the 2009 stimulus. The DoE gets funding every year for this sort of nonsense.

Carter signed an executive order which forbade nuclear reprocessing, so no reason to research alternative fuel cycles.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
So could you get me enough isotope to make an RTG for my iPhone? Someone actually did the math once and a simple Seebeck/thermocouple RTG could power an iPhone 6s for 120 years with la few grams of uranium.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>

This is actually a problem in my field of research (autonomous vehicles). All the best tech is owned by Google, Ford, Tesla etc and isn't public domain. So I can't look at how they solved problems. Instead I have to look toward the papers written by grad students at CMU/MIT who haven't gotten a job at those places yet.

Yes and I see no reason why universities can't continue to be an outlet for new ideas and research that is then taken privately and turned into new innovations.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
So could you get me enough isotope to make an RTG for my iPhone? Someone actually did the math once did the math and a simple Seebeck/thermocouple RTG could power an iPhone 6s for 120 years with like 6 grams of uranium dioxide.

I dunno, we have to import isotopes from Canada pretty soon because of Carter. We're almost out (or are already out--haven't been involved in the field in years).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yes and I see no reason why universities can't continue to be an outlet for new ideas and research that is then taken privately and turned into new innovations.
How do you think university research is funded?

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
How the fuck do you think researchers at universities get funding for their work?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
ScreamCO has a line of MechaMixologists that would be perfect in replacing all meatbag swill slingers.

There is one problem solved.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
According to a statement from Arizona's governor, the partnership will focus on the optics systems necessary for mapping and safety, and will result in a number of Uber's test vehicles taking up permanent residence in Arizona. Uber will donate $25,000 to the university's College of Optical Sciences.

With that 25k and a one-off partnership, UoA and other universities can just forgo all the govt funding they get!

What percent of university grant funding do you think comes from private entities?