Weather

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Woke up at 5am this morning because I heard water gurgling sounds. Turns out there's a water main break in the street, and now our building's heating system is out of commission since it's an incredibly retarded combined domestic water and hot water heating system, and there is no pressure in it (the gurgling I heard is air sloshing around in the mains). -30C outside. Hopefully the utility gets this shit patched up by tonight, otherwise we will be in deep shit in short order.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Raining something fierce rightnow. I havent heard it rain this hard in a few years.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
this is the most fucked up winter so far. maybe an exaggeration but 12 inch on march in southern ontario is wtf. my car got stuck in the drive way and had to dig it out for 2 hours in the middle of the fucking storm.

our region is about to spend fortune on snow removal and extremely over budget this year. thank you jesus.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Near 70 degrees today, high near 32 tomorrow, high near 60 Friday, probably a few inches of snow Monday

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The weatherman have expertly predicted that we shall get somewhere between 1-10" of snow in a period of time beginning 'sometime' tonight until 'sometime' tomorrow afternoon which 'possibly' will start as rain or a mix and prevent pretreating roads and almost certainly result in the roads between my neighborhood and the closest highway being untouched.

New England

FFZd4Ar.png

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was in the mid 60s very early Monday morning and then it snowed later in the afternoon in Chicago. First time that has ever happened in Chicago.

Went from 80 on Saturday to 40s on Sunday, back up the 60s late Sunday/early Monday, to mid 30s and snowing Monday afternoon.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Why dont we shut down all of our coal/natural gas plants and replace them with nuke power?

Also HMTL5 is getting out of hand. That shit is looking like the new power point.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
You might also want to post some pictures of Chernobyl, Fukushima, and the massive spent fuel ponds at every nuclear generating station on the planet. I don't have a massive opposition to nuclear power like the protesters you posted above do, but there's some very practical problems with nuclear power that just don't seem to want to go away. Is it part of the solution? Yeah, sure, as a bridge technology. But it isn't the sole solution on it's own, unless there's some pretty huge breakthroughs in dealing with waste. And yeah yeah, breeders, thorium etc etc. Until someone builds a profitable, commercial scale plant neither are answers, and they have their own set of problems.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Nuclear power is hamstrung chiefly by nuclear weapons. So-called breeder reactors are capable of processing a fair portion of nuclear waste as fuel, but the problem is that they're also useful for enriching nuclear material to weapons grade. Hence, they're a political no-no.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Molten-salt thorium reactors.

Nobody'sreallybuilt them outside of a couple of pilot plantsbecauseyou can't make nukes with them. Hell, you can feed them nukes as fuel (technically the 'sparkplug') and reduce proliferation. The waste is also safer, and thorium is more abundant than lead.