Weight Loss Thread

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
You're like some kind of keto-knight, now.
It doesn't have to be keto. If you like paleo, do that. If you like south beach, do that. if you like atkins or nutrisystem or whatever, do that. The key to weight loss is reducing dietary carbohydrates.

Hell, if you want to be like deathwing and count calories, do that. Just don't complain when, as Deathwing mentioned, you eat carbs and get a hunger spike. I don't understand why you would want to fight your own biology like that.

All for a donut? Or a candy bar? Fuck that noise.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This is a very ignorant statement to make. I've tried doing keto and it was a tremendous amount of work; I'd much rather track macros and calories and eat what I want because it's easier for me. Considering Deathwing is a robot, I'm sure it's easier for him, too.

I'm glad cutting carbs and sugar worked well for you, but that doesn't make it the best way for everyone to lose weight. You're like some kind of keto-knight, now.
Who told you I was a robot? I need to...talk with them.

And yes, himeo, all for a donut and a candy bar. Or pizza for dinner. Lemon cheesecake with gingersnap crust and cherry topping for dessert. Cereal for breakfast. Granola and yogurt and chili for lunch. That was my diet the last 24 hours. And I have no problems hitting 100+ grams of protein and keeping my fat and carbs under control.

I willingly defy my own biology because I'm smarter than it. Sometimes our bodies are fucking stupid.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Sucrose is a type of sugar. So is glucose, fructose, lactose, galactose and maltose.

Sugar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sucrose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I don't care that you conflate sucrose and sugar as long as you don't call it poison.
I'm sure when you said sugar you were talking about the family of chemical substances including lactose, galactose and maltose becuase you're a sophisticated gentleman and a scholar.

Just admit you're wrong and move on.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
And yes, himeo, all for a donut and a candy bar. Or pizza for dinner. Lemon cheesecake with gingersnap crust and cherry topping for dessert. Cereal for breakfast. Granola and yogurt and chili for lunch. That was my diet the last 24 hours. And I have no problems hitting 100+ grams of protein and keeping my fat and carbs under control.

I willingly defy my own biology because I'm smarter than it. Sometimes our bodies are fucking stupid.
That's cool, enjoy being hungry all the time.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure when you said sugar you were talking about the family of chemical substances including lactose, galactose and maltose becuase you're a sophisticated gentleman and a scholar.

Just admit you're wrong and move on.
The weight loss thread in an mmo forum is serious technical min maxing science. Get your definitions right or get wrekt. This is especially true when trying to say shit like sugar is a poison.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
That's cool, enjoy being hungry all the time.
Again, you're taking what works for you and saying it's the "key to weight loss," which is completely false. There are plenty of other ways to lose weight and keep it off that involve enjoying sugar and carbs, and that aren't a lot of work (in the opinion of people who do them) and won't result in being hungry all the time. I don't see how you can read the diet of another person and claim that he/she will be hungry all the time; it's not your body, you don't know how they feel or how their body responds to the various things they're ingesting. You, yourself, said earlier that people respond very differently to many things and situations.

I agree that the standard American diet is way, way too carb heavy, but virtually eliminating them from your diet isn't the only answer. There is a huge middle ground of enjoying them in moderation.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Again, you're taking what works for you and saying it's the "key to weight loss," which is completely false. There are plenty of other ways to lose weight and keep it off that involve enjoying sugar and carbs, and that aren't a lot of work (in the opinion of people who do them) and won't result in being hungry all the time. I don't see how you can read the diet of another person and claim that he/she will be hungry all the time; it's not your body, you don't know how they feel or how their body responds to the various things they're ingesting. You, yourself, said earlier that people respond very differently to many things and situations.

I agree that the standard American diet is way, way too carb heavy, but virtually eliminating them from your diet isn't the only answer. There is a huge middle ground of enjoying them in moderation.
Obesity research confirms long-term weight loss almost impossible

No known cure for obesity except surgically shrinking the stomach

What you are advocating is a philosophy of failure and despair. You can ignore me all you want and taunt me for being zealous. Or you can do what I did and stop having these problems by getting rid of the cause.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
McCheese is essentially saying what I'm saying, just being more reasonable about it. I do have to remind myself from time to time that I don't have the typical American diet, probably far from it. That pizza, chili, granola, and cheesecake are all homemade. My freezer is packed full of stuff I made or ingredients that will go into stuff I make. Honestly, if you really want to boil healthy eating into one sentence: cook your own food. That's way oversimplifying, but it's probably the best change most people can make. Once you're intimately aware of what goes into your food, you're better able to manage what you eat. And the bad stuff will gross you out more easily.

McCheese

I don't have the time to read through your links, but just the headlines alone sound ridiculous. I know many people--myself included--that have lost large amounts of weight and gotten into good shape without eliminating carbs from our diets. Did we lessen them from what we were eating before? Sure, because before we were eating way, way too much, like most Americans do. But we still enjoy them on a regular basis yet somehow are managing to stay in great shape year after year.

It's like you've risen up to fill the retard void that Ossoi left.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Honestly, if you really want to boil healthy eating into one sentence: cook your own food. That's way oversimplifying, but it's probably the best change most people can make. Once you're intimately aware of what goes into your food, you're better able to manage what you eat. And the bad stuff will gross you out more easily.
Cheers, that's something we agree on.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I post links to videos or websites with solid research on this topic.

I don't have the time to read through your links,

It's like you've risen up to fill the retard void that Ossoi left.
I know many people--myself included--that have lost large amounts of weight and gotten into good shape without eliminating carbs from our diets. Did we lessen them from what we were eating before? Sure, because before we were eating way, way too much, like most American do. But we still enjoy them on a regular basis yet somehow are managing to stay in great shape year after year.
84558-80496.png

People lose the weight and gain it back in a few years. That's what the article was about.

McCheese

People lose the weight and gain it back in a few years. That's what the article was about.
Some people do, some people don't. I don't really disagree with most of what you're saying about carbs and losing weight, I just disagree with your seemingly immovable stance that it's the only way. It's great you've got fancy videos and charts and shit to back up your view; all I've got is first-hand experience seeing people lose weight and keep it off using methods other than eliminating carbs.

For some people doing paleo, keto, and similar styles of eating might be ideal, but it's certainly not for everyone. And it's most definitely not necessary for everyone to lose weight and keep it off.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Some people do, some people don't. I don't really disagree with most of what you're saying about carbs and losing weight, I just disagree with your seemingly immovable stance that it's the only way. It's great you've got fancy videos and charts and shit to back up your view; all I've got is first-hand experience seeing people lose weight and keep it off using methods other than eliminating carbs.

For some people doing paleo, keto, and similar styles of eating might be ideal, but it's certainly not for everyone. And it's most definitely not necessary for everyone to lose weight and keep it off.
Short term it's not the only way.

Long term, it's your best shot.

That's all.

McCheese

Living forever without carbs just sounds absolutely miserable to me. It's great that some people can do it, but I could never manage that; I love to indulge in candy, cookies, pasta, pizza, etc. now and then. I think if you have proper will power, you can enjoy carbs in moderation and maintain a reasonable weight and level of fitness (this is what I do, and have done for several years now without problems). Granted, some people don't have will power (therefore, they are/were fat in the first place), so it is probably better to just abstain.

I imagine it's a lot easier for meat lovers than those with a sweet tooth.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've done Atkins and while it's great for getting lean, fuck that shit as a "lifestyle". Cutting out carbs as a lifestyle might keep your weight off, but eating food is right up there with sex as far as the more pleasurable things we do in life. Bread and pasta are just too good to completely cut out of my life. Learn moderation and work out and you can eat whatever the hell you want.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I imagine it's a lot easier for meat lovers than those with a sweet tooth.
Sweet tooth is temporary. After 6-7 weeks you no longer crave that stuff. After a few months you lose all interest.

Meat and cheese, vegetables and fish, all the fat I could ever want? And artificial sweetner when I'm bored?

I eat whatever I want and lose weight. No more hunger, no more cravings. It's great.

McCheese

Sweet tooth is temporary. After 6-7 weeks you no longer crave that stuff. After a few months you lose all interest.
Again, I don't doubt that's true for you. However, I did a pretty strict paleo diet about 1.5 years ago for several months and my cravings for sugar cookies and other delightful treats never fully went away. People are different, brosef. That's when I realized that I could never do that kind of diet long-term.

*Edit* I also eat whatever I want and lose weight. That includes pizzas, sugar cookies, and tons of other carb-laden goodies.