Weight Loss Thread

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Question to you bros. Why are you spending money to get your body fat percentage? Is it just a bragging right/validation of your weight loss? I feel like just looking in the mirror let's you know enough about your weight.
I've never actually had it done, but I wouldn't mind doing it just to get a baseline of where I'm at. Can't see myself doing it regularly.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Question to you bros. Why are you spending money to get your body fat percentage? Is it just a bragging right/validation of your weight loss? I feel like just looking in the mirror let's you know enough about your weight.
I got a really good deal from Groupon - getting it done in a few weeks along with a load of other relevant healthchecks

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The vascularity of your arms indicates that your body fat % is low
Keep in mind arms veins are the first thing to appear typically. You can be 18% and have the "steroid vein" if you've got good genetics. Not a good indicator, typically the delts and abs will tell you more.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Keep in mind arms veins are the first thing to appear typically. You can be 18% and have the "steroid vein" if you've got good genetics. Not a good indicator, typically the delts and abs will tell you more.
I never get that one vein running along the bicep even though I get a shitload of other veins in the arm. Not that veins mean anything but I never get that one and it makes me sad. This is also my work uniform btw. Haha.

rrr_img_97328.jpg

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I was actually comparing the vascularity of his arms with the vascularity of mine at roughly 8-10% body fat.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'd also say closer to 13% than 8. And I wouldn't put it much over 15. Unless you've got like a giant black girl ass hiding behind that hand or something, 18% is out of bounds.

12-15% is probably the range.

And I expect that it is mostly in your loose skin.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would have guessed 13% based upon the various bodyfat pictures that float around given those multiple choice options. arm veins and shoulders look closer to 8%, the loose fat skin flap puts you closer to 18%...

One advantage of our society though, is that with a shirt on, girls will see your arms and think you're shredded, and by the time you're fucking them, it doesn't matter what you look like anymore
wink.png

What did you get via the "more accurate" measurements.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ubi how heavy were you? And how quick was the fat loss?
I was approximately 283 when I started. That was my first measurement anyway, 2 years ago. Pretty sure I never broke 3 bills. First year was around 80 down. This past year another 45. Will hopefully be the last 15-20 this year.

There is definitely still plenty of fat in the stomach area in addition to skin. Plenty is relative I guess. The loose skin just makes it hang more flat down my body rather than hold it up in front of me.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Last time I got my biometrics taken by the mostly innaccurate body fat reader I think it said I was 8%. The year before that it errored out. I don't put a *ton* of stock into it but that is probably pretty close for me. A ballpark is better than just guessing.

And yeah arm veins are pretty genetic. Even before working out I had enormous veins in my forearm and even a small one on my bicep. Since I started working out people are pretty sure I'm on the roids. I don't have a ton of pictures of myself but here is me just sitting with my dog. No workout or anything beforehand.

z3UeG.jpg

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Veins everywhere are genetic. My chest and shoulders are starting to fucking striate and pop veins everywhere... meanwhile my forearms looks like dog shit lol.

And as for Antarius' shirt comment, I look better without a shirt on. Like, much better. Maybe I need better fitting shirts.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I personally dislike it but there isn't much I can do about it so why fret. Unless I decide being a supertub is better than having veiny arms.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Went to the gym last night, came home and had three bowls of cereal and a 22 of cappuccino stout. Only quality calories for this guy.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So 1 week in I'm down 3lbs. I realize that could easily be some water-weight and poop but I do check the scale the same time of day every AM. I'm still not worried about the number on the scale too much but it is the only quantifiable I have.

For the first week I did some sort of 'exercise' activity 4 out of 7 days. Three mountain bike rides and a night of softball, which is a surprising amount of running around. I hope to put in 5 days of activities this week. I was pretty damn sore most of the week but it did feel good to be out there doing something again.

*edit: I did pretty good with eating better as well. I ate out 3 times and each time I found a "healthier" option and skipped the fries. I did have one slip-up at home though:

Bacon-weave cheeseburger, was tough to say no to that one
rrr_img_97820.jpg

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Opiate, there's really nothing wrong with eating that burger. It's a matter of making sure it's accounted for in your daily total. You don't need to eat chicken and broccoli for every meal man.

Also, just try to avoid eating out altogether. The amount of oil, butter, and salt restaurants use is difficult to counteract. And never skip fries! UNAMERICAN! Mmm fries.

Dick, yes. I want veins. Dick veins. All over my body.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So 1 week in I'm down 3lbs. I realize that could easily be some water-weight and poop but I do check the scale the same time of day every AM. I'm still not worried about the number on the scale too much but it is the only quantifiable I have.

For the first week I did some sort of 'exercise' activity 4 out of 7 days. Three mountain bike rides and a night of softball, which is a surprising amount of running around. I hope to put in 5 days of activities this week. I was pretty damn sore most of the week but it did feel good to be out there doing something again.

*edit: I did pretty good with eating better as well. I ate out 3 times and each time I found a "healthier" option and skipped the fries. I did have one slip-up at home though:

Bacon-weave cheeseburger, was tough to say no to that one
rrr_img_97820.jpg
Get your ass to the gym and lift heavy things.
1) increases your testosterone 2) adding muscle mass increases metabolism 3) builds confidence 4) builds discipline

You dont have to do anything crazy just 3 days on 4 days off. 5x5 routine of squats, dead lifts, bench, military press, and throw in a few pulling exercises/rows. Less than a hour at the gym 3 times a week.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
FWIW, the metabolism increase is pretty minor for the amount of pounds someone would be likely to put on. It's still good for a lot of reasons, but I wouldn't look to that for weight loss.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Get your ass to the gym and lift heavy things.
1) increases your testosterone 2) adding muscle mass increases metabolism 3) builds confidence 4) builds discipline

You dont have to do anything crazy just 3 days on 4 days off. 5x5 routine of squats, dead lifts, bench, military press, and throw in a few pulling exercises/rows. Less than a hour at the gym 3 times a week.
You must have missed the part where I said I hate lifting weights. I'm not worried about items #2-4 on your list and am not sure I need to worry about #1 either. I have none of the issues all the radio commercials claim I should have at my age because of low T.

I generally like doing "exercise" that is also an activity I enjoy, hence the mountain biking. I'm not opposed to doing actual exercises but would prefer body-weight type options (push-ups, pull-ups, etc.). I'm not interesting in getting ripped, just fit and athletic.

edit*: I should note that even though I've had a slight weight increase these last 8 months, I wouldn't be surprised at all if I was consuming 6K calories a day easy. I am like a human garbage disposal with food. While my metabolism might be slowing down a tad, the way I look compared to the way I eat (or was eating anyways) does not compute.