Weight Loss Thread

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I dont think each person is really that different. People just lie their fucking asses off about how much they eat and how much they cheat on any planned diet. When they fail, they claim they followed the diet perfectly and blame "genetics" and "every person is different" .

Guarantee if you actually followed them around and monitored their diet and enforced a regime they'd lose weight like any other normal person. eating habits are like sexual habits though, people lie like fucking assholes to make themselves appear better/more innocent than they are.
WTB American version of Secret Eaters.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, because your fat cells never disappear. They subside, but they're still in your body and this makes it easier for formerly obese or overweight people to pack on pounds.
Ive heard the same thing, dont know if its true, but I have heard that you never really lose your fat cells, they just shrink. If you gain weight again, they swell up to 10x their minimal size..

edit:Fat facts - AskMen
Complete and utter bullshit.

When somebody loses weight, where does the fat go? | The BMJ

Most people believed that fat is converted to energy or heat, which violates the law of conservation of mass. We suspect this misconception is caused by the "energy in/energy out" mantra and the focus on energy production in university biochemistry courses.

When somebody loses 10 kg of fat (triglyceride), 8.4 kg is exhaled as CO2. The remainder of the 28 kg total of CO2 produced is contributed by inhaled oxygen. Lungs are therefore the primary excretory organ for weight loss. (This calculation ignores fat that may be excreted as ketone bodies under particular (patho)physiological conditions or minor amounts of lean body mass, the nitrogen in which may be excreted as urea)
TL;DR: You basically exhale it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well like my good doctor said, they haven't found an explanation.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Well like my good doctor said, they haven't found an explanation.
Former fatties are more likely to binge eat and eat shit which is what made them fat in the first place, so they're more likely to do it again and get fat again. Nothing to do with elastic fat cells or any other bullshit.

Khane

I'm not saying fat cells are elastic. My endocrinologist said that it's been observed people who have gained significant amounts of weight and then lost it have to eat less calories to not gain weight than their counterparts who've never gained weight. And that they have no explanation for it.

That's all. I've never heard of it before but that's what he said.

Khane

Did you go to some HAES doctor or something'
Just a German endocrinologist named Wolf. When he asked me why I had started smoking at age 30 I told him "Well, I would see a woman I wanted to talk to outside smoking so I would go have a cigarette with her".

To which he replied "Ahh yes, when we see the girl we must go to her" in a German accent.

Maybe he wasn't really a doctor.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I dont think each person is really that different. People just lie their fucking asses off about how much they eat and how much they cheat on any planned diet. When they fail, they claim they followed the diet perfectly and blame "genetics" and "every person is different" .

Guarantee if you actually followed them around and monitored their diet and enforced a regime they'd lose weight like any other normal person. eating habits are like sexual habits though, people lie like fucking assholes to make themselves appear better/more innocent than they are.
That's not really what I'm talking about. I'm more referring to nutritional science as a whole (ie you should eat this many carbs, consume this much iron, this much calcium etc.)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Complete and utter bullshit.

When somebody loses weight, where does the fat go? | The BMJ

TL;DR: You basically exhale it.
Matter is neither created nor destroyed, but it may alter its form through chemical reaction. The action of breaking down triglycerides into usable energy is calledlipolysis. Once inside the mitochondria, or power source, or muscle or liver cells, the components of the glycerol and fatty acids are shuffled and reshuffled to harness their energy potential, producing heat, water, carbon dioxide and adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP hauls potential energy in its molecular bonds for use when we exercise like cellular carb loading.

But no, its not bullshit what was said above. fat cells do not disappear, they get smaller.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm not saying fat cells are elastic. My endocrinologist said that it's been observed people who have gained significant amounts of weight and then lost it have to eat less calories to not gain weight than their counterparts who've never gained weight. And that they have no explanation for it.
There is actual research that backs this up to those who would hand wave it away. If you go fat and stay fat for an extended period of time then go back to your pre-fat weight, your metabolism is not the same. A few hundred calories a day difference in metabolism will add up and you will simply have to eat less or exercise more than before you were fat if you don't want to gain weight. Mind you, most of the stuff I've read seems to indicate the difference is not enormous -- people aren't going to have thousand calorie differences. So, just leading a more active lifestyle than pre-fat maintenance or adding daily exercise should be enough to offset. The psychological/chemical changes from the addiction are far more of an obstacle, I would imagine. Still, most people who complain about gaining weight when they say they're eating right are probably not eating right (and there's plenty of studies supporting that reality). My mom used to complain about stuff like that when she was on some "diet" eating a bunch of salads where she used a shit ton of ranch dressing and feta cheese but thought because it was labeled "salad" it had to be okay.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
There is actual research that backs this up to those who would hand wave it away. If you go fat and stay fat for an extended period of time then go back to your pre-fat weight, your metabolism is not the same. A few hundred calories a day difference in metabolism will add up and you will simply have to eat less or exercise more than before you were fat if you don't want to gain weight. Mind you, most of the stuff I've read seems to indicate the difference is not enormous -- people aren't going to have thousand calorie differences. So, just leading a more active lifestyle than pre-fat maintenance or adding daily exercise should be enough to offset. The psychological/chemical changes from the addiction are far more of an obstacle, I would imagine. Still, most people who complain about gaining weight when they say they're eating right are probably not eating right (and there's plenty of studies supporting that reality). My mom used to complain about stuff like that when she was on some "diet" eating a bunch of salads where she used a shit ton of ranch dressing and feta cheese but thought because it was labeled "salad" it had to be okay.
200 calories a day is huge. Assuming you ate the same and excercised the same, anyone know how much extra weight that would be?

I mean you would gain weight until your BMR increased enough to counteract the extra 200 calories you aren't burning

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eh, he's not full of shit, he's just explaining that as your body uses fats as energy that it is a biproduct, which is CO2. It doesn't actually state anything about the cellular structures that held those molecules, just that the molecules themselves are consumed and turned into CO2 after the rest of the molecule is spread around in various reactions. If anything, it doesn't address the stuff you quoted above at all.

It looks, from not having done the study myself, that he is ignoring the amount of energy needed to break and create chemical bonds. This energy is typically the result of chemical reactions, which generally require a catalyst and heat, which is effectively energy. The study simply looked at CO2 in vs. CO2 out, and found that the carbon atoms typically found in fats tended to leave by bonding with oxygen consumed before leaving the body. Exercising and creating the energy that provides the stimuli for breaking the bonds leaves the carbon atoms free to bond with something else, where they bond with with Oxygen and then make their way out through the lungs during an exhalation.

Further, rereading the article has the statement that they believe the "energy in, energy out" mantra is wrong, but then simply focus on molecules in, molecules out. It doesn't even refute the initial claim; it sidesteps it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
And thats fine. Hes not taking about fat cells and how they shrink, but where the fat goes once lost. And in reality who gives a shit if shit it out, burn it up or exhale it, its besides the point we were taking about.

do fat cells never go away - Google Search

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Can't remember if it was this thread or the other one, but I mentioned I'd booked a dexa scan and health check off groupon. Had the appointment yesterday and it turns out the body fat measurement wasn't a dexa scan but instead with electrical impedance scales - just like the handheld device I own - shock, their scales gave me the exact same reading 9.3% lol.

Next weekend I submit my "after" pics to the Reddit body transformation challenge, I entered the cutting category, am pretty confident I can win!