What do you do?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
5% isn't much greater than a COLA. Remember, any year you don't get a raise, you got a pay cut. Inflation is a bitch and cost of living always rises.
Some people I talk to say 5% is good, some say it's barely above inflation. To play devil's advocate, if we say bumped it to 10%. 10% yty(I got 5% last year too) will spiral out of control pretty quickly. This is the frustrating part of trying to objectively judge whether I'm being paid fairly. There's a lot of missing information, from other employees and employers, that I will just never obtain.

If you're trying to answer it scientifically; What are you paid compared to market value for the same job functions/experience level?

Not looking for hard numbers, just a question to ask yourself.

Small market, Ithaca NY. I'm not sure how much skews the market but I do know, from interviewing here and in bigger cities, that there's some pretty obvious distinctions. Substantial bonuses twice a year seem somewhat common in bigger cities(in my industry?). That's unheard of here.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Well we're all valuable, but not all of us command enough value to just walk up to the boss and be like "eh yo, give me a raise" and have him affirm. And a lot of people don't understand how they are valued.

That is true. In restaurant setting, you can be replaced in an instance with some low skill level employee instantly. You go and ask for raise, next day you will be finding a new job. Same with a lot of jobs in Walmart.

Truth is though.... powah is in a good position to negotiate a pay raise. He is not only valuable, his skills are proven and it is hard to say that anybody can replace him. What you do is use this as leverage and put your managers in a position to negotiate a pay raise. If he doesn't use this leverage now, everyone, including him, will continue to get screwed with work overload. What managerment probably realizes is though if they approve powah's payraise, they are going to have to raise everybody's.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Already have an interview from putting my feelers out there last night. This is going to be easy street.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
As in, approximately that amount year to year? Seems like it, so far. I've been with the company under 3 years, so this is my second raise so far.
Yeah and more a question of did they ensure you knew you earned it or did it just show up automatically as some kind of afterthought of "Deathwing didn't get a felony and does okay work so put him in the 5% drop down, next employee".

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
why can't your wife work. does she have crabs.

I'm assuming this is due to my post in the Marriage thread? She's taking some time off to switch career paths.

My goal from my posts in this thread is to make what the shit I'm worth--Her income/lack there of is of no bearing on that.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I'm assuming this is due to my post in the Marriage thread? She's taking some time off to switch career paths.

My goal from my posts in this thread is to make what the shit I'm worth--Her income/lack there of is of no bearing on that.
wrong thread my bad.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
And how would one go about fixing that? I would love to be able to objectively measure the raise I just received so I can act on it accordingly(look for new job or not), but I just don't know how to think whether the raise was good enough or not.

Understand how much the projects you are working on make for the company. Understand your bill rate. Ask your manager, they should be able to help you with those things. When pushing new projects, keep an eye to company value in mind. When evaluating your raise, look at what value you have brought to both your company and customers in terms of actual dollars, then look at subjective shit like "i made the customer more secure." There are ways to quantify that kind of thing as well but, hardly worth it imo. If you are making a significant amount fo rthe company, you should see a significant raise. If I made the company 100k on top of my bill rate (which is already making them a fortune) and they offer me a 3% raise, I'm being duped.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Understand how much the projects you are working on make for the company. Understand your bill rate. Ask your manager, they should be able to help you with those things. When pushing new projects, keep an eye to company value in mind. When evaluating your raise, look at what value you have brought to both your company and customers in terms of actual dollars, then look at subjective shit like "i made the customer more secure." There are ways to quantify that kind of thing as well but, hardly worth it imo. If you are making a significant amount fo rthe company, you should see a significant raise. If I made the company 100k on top of my bill rate (which is already making them a fortune) and they offer me a 3% raise, I'm being duped.

Holy shit bill rate--I've made my company about 7k this month alone in directly billable hour worked for hour paid hours--and thats after removing my hourly wage equivellant from the equation

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah and more a question of did they ensure you knew you earned it or did it just show up automatically as some kind of afterthought of "Deathwing didn't get a felony and does okay work so put him in the 5% drop down, next employee".

Nah, it's definitely based on yearly performance reviews. Standard procedure for all companies I've been employed. I look especially good here because it's hard to find smart programmers that are motivated to do software test engineering.

See my response above. My position is not nearly that transparent. Would be, if I was working on the research side of the company and I definitely know what you're talking about because I was stopgap for a contract for a couple months recently. But otherwise, I don't really have billable hours and rates.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Actually sittin here at work kinda nervous about interviewing in the morning

Guess I'm scared my boss will find some concrete proof and fire me. Never done this one before.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Nah, it's definitely based on yearly performance reviews. Standard procedure for all companies I've been employed. I look especially good here because it's hard to find smart programmers that are motivated to do software test engineering.

See my response above. My position is not nearly that transparent. Would be, if I was working on the research side of the company and I definitely know what you're talking about because I was stopgap for a contract for a couple months recently. But otherwise, I don't really have billable hours and rates.

Yeah I am biased in the particular position I have been in for the past couple of years it was easy for me to make A->B connections to my work and company value. They put me in a policy position for the past two months (Friday is my last day...) and it would definitely be more difficult there, but not impossible if you went day to day with that mentality.

oh btw I start my position at Dept of Commerce on Monday. I am stoked.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Actually sittin here at work kinda nervous about interviewing in the morning

Guess I'm scared my boss will find some concrete proof and fire me. Never done this one before.

Dude, you are entitled to interview. If he fires you for job hunting then that wasn't a job you wanted anyway. Always look for places that view their employees as investments, that includes letting them leave if they grow out of their current positions and there is nothing within the company for them.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Dude, you are entitled to interview. If he fires you for job hunting then that wasn't a job you wanted anyway. Always look for places that view their employees as investments, that includes letting them leave if they grow out of their current positions and there is nothing within the company for them.

So not this company. In a recent state of the union they listed seasoned employee turnover as a positive so they could fill at a lower cost. This is in the same meeting where our customers dinged the hell out of us for no longer having knowledgeable support staff. They couldnt see the connection...