What do you do?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
So 2 weeks until I'm dropped from my current staffing agency due to a switch that I posted about before. Have not been contacted yet, while many others have, so at this point it's pretty much a for sure that I will not be "retained". Been hitting the normal job sites and updating all my information. Have some networking experience now, rather than just a CCNA. Scared as shit I don't know enough, and I forgot stuff I should know, but that'll play out in interviews I suppose.

Onwards and upwards!

Btw... did anyone see the new LinkedIn button to send your information to recruiters? Kinda figured I always was available to recruiters but just recently saw a button that talked about it. Kinda weird, but clicked that shit right away. Not sure if I got much out of LinkedIn Premium the last job search, so doubt I'll sign up for that again.
LinkedIn for me was mixed in the bag...maybe I am young or just entered the industry....had a few sales manager contact me for interview and job offer out of the blue.... Several endorsing my skills in hopes of being endorsed back.

Had a few customers who told me to apply for their corporate positions due to my heritage when I worked in Mississauga...

Vinen

God is dead
LinkedIn for me was mixed in the bag...maybe I am young or just entered the industry....had a few sales manager contact me for interview and job offer out of the blue.... Several endorsing my skills in hopes of being endorsed back.

Had a few customers who told me to apply for their corporate positions due to my heritage when I worked in Mississauga...

Are involved with the lottery now? What is your job.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
RF Engineer dealing primarily with microwave path design, some land mobile propagation, interference analysis, and SONET, carrier ethernet, etc...

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Are involved with the lottery now? What is your job.
What do you do?

It was funny going back to the dealership today (to collect my pay). To my surprise (not), they didn't have it ready and I had to submit it again.

The two new salespeople they hired only sold 2 combined last two weeks. I would've sold minimum 4 by now.

Top kek.

wish they offered me better payplan because it was obvious I got the shortend of it when I saw other salespeople's existing plans....maybe if I don't succeed in this, I will negotiate something better later...fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
This interview exercise is no joke. Just cleared my weekend to make time to complete the presentation. It's pretty grueling.

Hope it's worth it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What's funny is for this job my interview had no technical part besides some textbook questions. And I was hired as a senior software engineer. I could be the worst coder ever and they have no Idea.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My job that I start on Monday, they asked me some basic linux questions, some basic vulnerability/risk management stuff, and questions about the nessus interface options. That was about it for the technical piece, and they hired me on as a senior security engineer. I'm like "bros..."

This is kind of different from writing code I guess, since it isn't so much about creativity. Network/system design and architecture is a pretty standard process, I guess I just expected more.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I didn't have to write a stupid function on the white board for reversing a string or something. Just felt weird..

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I have basically been asked to create a complete research proposal in less than a week, and create a 40 minute presentation that describes it in detail.

(That's a lot.)

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
What are you guys' thoughts on staying with one company vs moving around for upward mobility? I'm going to be interviewing for what is essentially an executive/management training program within my company. It would be two years of training then a potential relocation for a director/vp type position. If I get it, great. If I don't I may consider getting an APICS certification and trying to transition toward my original plan of working directly in procurement. The other option is to get my MBA(company will pay for half) and stay long term even without the executive track.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Chaos will like this.

This is how retarded my company is. I'm trying to fill out government forms to request access to Navy systems (SAAR-N and accompanying forms) but my employer has given me no information about the name and type of system we're accessing, the beginning and end date of the contract, justification for why I'm accessing the system, etc.

Friday afternoon my boss's boss is like: "Here's some forms we didn't read for this 11 million dollar contract, fill them out by Monday."

kudos

<Banned>
I'm of the mentality that a company doesn't truly give a fuck about you and you shouldn't care about it. They are paying you for what you give them, nothing more and nothing less. You provide a service.

Friday afternoon my boss's boss is like: "Here's some forms we didn't read for this 11 million dollar contract, fill them out by Monday."
"We signed up for this contract 8 months ago and had it sitting on our desk. You're going to fullfil it starting in a week."

Contracting is full of dumb shit like this. If it wasn't for the ability to quickly leave and go somewhere else nobody would put up with it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm of the mentality that a company doesn't truly give a fuck about you and you shouldn't care about it. They are paying you for what you give them, nothing more and nothing less. You provide a service.

"We signed up for this contract 8 months ago and had it sitting on our desk. You're going to fullfil it starting in a week."

Contracting is full of dumb shit like this. If it wasn't for the ability to quickly leave and go somewhere else nobody would put up with it.
Except we're not contractors. This is a new long term (3 or more year) service agreement contract for a very large collection of military phone systems. We're a service provider, not a contracting company. We have thousands of customers with 10s of thousands of service agreement contracts, we don't work for a single or a handful of clients at a time.

Winning this contract was a huge deal that was years in the making and took many project managers, service delivery managers, account execs, etc to win the contract. We apparently used to have this contract, many years ago (back when we were a much smaller company, not the 1500 person company we are now) before losing it to a competitor, and now we finally have it back.

But no one thought about how to actually fulfill the contract. No one is cleared to access the systems we're supposed to be servicing.

Last edited: