What do you do?

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
Some jobs are easier on vacation than others. At my job when I take leave the work just stops; there isn't anyone else to do it.

I try to time the vacation around low activity times so I don't come back to a pile of jobs to tackle.

I can definitely see why some people don't take long periods of vacation as a result.

Granted I work at a school so I get some time during summers if I can't take anything during the school year but the stress adds up for folks that can't take any time.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I get 5 weeks vacation and I'm required to take two of those weeks consecutively. I also get locked out of all our systems and my key cards deactivated so I couldn't work even if I wanted to. It's a really nice break.

My boss has threatened me with doing just this, if I dont take another vacation by the middle of December. I'll call his bluff.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You're aware no one is impressed by the guy who refuses to take vacation, right?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rikkon

Lord Nagafen Raider
Managing Director - corporate banking in Houston

Lower third of 6 figures and varies based off bonus but generally can expect 1-2.0 your base predicated on performance.

Things are down with the frothy energy environment and constant regulatory changes

I keep scratching my head on what to do trying to make a career change becuse banking is no fun anymore but I can't for the life of me thing of what is.

Clients approach me about Treasuer or Corp dev roles but most requiring moving (I have joint custody of my two year old daughter so non starter) and I haven't had to be in an office 5 days a week since I was an associate and not sure I can go

First world problems I know

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Managing Director - corporate banking in Houston

Lower third of 6 figures and varies based off bonus but generally can expect 1-2.0 your base predicated on performance.

Things are down with the frothy energy environment and constant regulatory changes

I keep scratching my head on what to do trying to make a career change becuse banking is no fun anymore but I can't for the life of me thing of what is.

Clients approach me about Treasuer or Corp dev roles but most requiring moving (I have joint custody of my two year old daughter so non starter) and I haven't had to be in an office 5 days a week since I was an associate and not sure I can go

First world problems I know

Go work for a Major oil company in their M&A/MLP groups and make just as much money and have no stress. I know there are plenty of fuck face Goldman/Macquarie/JP Morgan guys working at Phillips 66, Exxon, Chevron, Shell, & BP right now who would never look back at banking, and the dividends those guys pay, even in this market are significant. P66 for example paid out $.67 (I believe) dividend distributions today.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
You're aware no one is impressed by the guy who refuses to take vacation, right?

Not about impressing. I've taken the time I care to. Note that I said "another vacation"--He's just trying to get me to burn the extra days.

Work yourself to death for an employer that doesn't care about you. Seems like a good plan.

Since my promotion/raise, I can't say 100% they don't care. Yes, I was moved into this position because it benefits them. But fuck it, its a mutual benefit.

Also, I've been here shitposting while doing web dev work all day cause thats my top priority project right now. Its not exactly working myself to death anymore. Since I was pulled from the standard trouble ticket/client upgrade rotation, this job is now cushy as fuck.

I do get to meet with clients tomorrow though, to discuss a special project item they want us to perform. So I get some travel still?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Still don't get it man. I'd rather be at home than at work 5/5 days a week

People are like that here too

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Same. I disable accounts at least once a year for people that ground themselves to a pulp and are now being "right-sized".

Hell, I took tomorrow off just to get shit-faced and play Bloodborne.

Rikkon

Lord Nagafen Raider
Spring - yes that is what I'm looking at. I primarily cover midstream so I know most of those guys pretty well.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Let me know how your search goes, I'm familiar with a lot of those people as well (though I am of the mindset that their are too many of you bastards in the business now!). Good luck!

Rikkon

Lord Nagafen Raider
Will do - thanks

We're all looking to jump ship due to pay cuts, over regulation & limited visibility on job security. Every happy hour with other bankers inevitably ends with too much bourbon and constant complaining that banking just isn't fun anymore

Ironic given your suggestions, I'm headed to a hh with the CFO of a midcap midstream now and seeing the former treasurer of ConocoPhillips tomorrow who is likely going to take a position at p66 (they are still taking it in the pants on their synthetic)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
When I can spend anywhere from 1-4 hours a day shit posting and/or other non work things, vacation isn't a huge deal for me. Especially with school, I get more done at work than at home because of my kids.

But as a network tech they need to have someone available for problems 24/7/365 but I'm just glad they finally realized that can be someone on call and from home instead of forcing someone into the office.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
When I can spend anywhere from 1-4 hours a day shit posting and/or other non work things, vacation isn't a huge deal for me. Especially with school, I get more done at work than at home because of my kids.

But as a network tech they need to have someone available for problems 24/7/365 but I'm just glad they finally realized that can be someone on call and from home instead of forcing someone into the office.

I am pretty sure I could be at home 30 of 40 hours a week and everything will be fine.....maybe.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What the hell am I going to read all day on stack overflow.

I was given a task but only got vague details and the dude is in meetings all day. Fuck it. Been shit posting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Some of you people are really weird. Equating hanging on RR while working to an actual vacation. I assure you, the time I spent in Barcelona last week was much better than posting here.