What do you do?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Got on two big cases we have with Baker Botts and Haynes and Boone as o/c, I have friends from law school on the case on the other side, saw their names on email lists. Hah. Meet and confer is really gonna be like Suits for once where we all know each other and trade witty law school stories prior to hard-nosed negotiating.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Is it like that scene from American Psycho trying to one-up eachother's business card?

Ok so story time. I had a meeting with a group of Sullcrom lawyers from Bank of America. It's was a hush-hush settlement meeting for a case that officially, BofA would 100% deny liability for, so they wouldn't even meet with us at BofA facilities OR sullcrom facilities. We met at another biglaw firm's conference room in Chicago. None of us were from Chicago. Thus the "secrecy".

So they put us in one conference room while they "got set up." Then they came to get us, and it was like the most stilted, formal introductions I've ever seen. Two deputy GC's from BofA were there and about 10 sullcrom lawyers. They were arranged around the room in a conga line. We went around the room shaking hands and introducing ourselves to each of them (there were only 2 of us!) and each of them gave us a business card, and we gave ours to them. About 2 minutes into the meeting, the GC's from BofA asked for their cards back because they didn't want us to have proof of this meeting. LOL

99% of the time my job is boring research and writing motions and conversations with o/c that are basically like "we think you should do X, will you do X?" "no" "ok" /files motion

But sometimes it can be pretty entertaining. 2 day trip to Chicago for a 1 hour meeting. Not bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rikkon

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ha

I'd be curious as to which internal counsel you met from baml. Not that you can tell me but it would be funny to me though from your description of taking their cards back it sounds like they are morons from retail so I probably don't know them.

I worked there for years. I'm in Dallas all week and I can see the green pickle from my office window.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Ha

I'd be curious as to which internal counsel you met from baml. Not that you can tell me but it would be funny to me though from your description of taking their cards back it sounds like they are morons from retail so I probably don't know them.

I worked there for years. I'm in Dallas all week and I can see the green pickle from my office window.

I don't even remember their names so it'd be hard for to tell you anyways. Not from retail, and they were the same guys that worked on the 8.5B BONY deal that Kathy Patrick and Blackrock fucked up.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
But sometimes it can be pretty entertaining. 2 day trip to Chicago for a 1 hour meeting. Not bad.

Not bad. Always much better if the trip is far enough to warrant getting a hotel for a night or two so you can enjoy the city/town a bit. I really dislike the trips where it's close enough to fly there in the morning and back in the afternoon/evening. One time I had to go to Vancouver for a fucking 30 minute meeting. Had to go through customs and shit. Waste of time.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Found this while browsing imgur. This is literally my job.

7a9OehZ.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Why do you feel you need to put up with a shitty work situation? You could probably fix that.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Zero reason why Mist cant move onto a better job after being at that one for a year+ and being so skilled.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No seriously this place is the best. There's something kind of addicting about having a NOC full of people running around waving their arms about how everything is on fire and how all of our biggest customers are going to cancel their contracts and we're all going to be fired and our badges deactivated before we wake up the next morning. This includes my manager who is the most frantic and hysterical of all of us. Every shift is one rolling shitshow from start to finish and if you do somehow make a delicious turd sandwich out of the pile of flaming shit that gets dumped in your lap the moment you walk in the doors, you do frequently get heaps of praise dumped upon you.

Now if that actually came with a raise instead of the occasional 100 dollar gift card, that'd be pretty nice.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I go to meetings where my boss drones on endlessly. Patronizing. Paternalistic. Trite. Also, he wears argyle sweater vests and says "poop in a group".

Fucking kill me.