What do you do?

crying breeman

Molten Core Raider
I mean, I'd be happy working as a physician even in a heavy-workload, non-glamorous (it's ALL non-glamorous! But in the public's eye, you know) practice if I'm making enough to support a family and hunting and golf habits (not that I'd have time to indulge). It's a real uphill battle getting the residencies and whatnot when your degree is from a foreign med school even as a US citizen, and moreso as a foreigner. I'm hoping the good rankings of KI & my forthcoming publications concerning health care will help a little.

So I'm def not going to be disappointed whatever the specialty. I'd have fairly unique qualifications for making it in forensic psychiatry here, but I've no illusions about making it into that specialty there.

crying breeman

Molten Core Raider
Oh, incidentally, I'm never saying a bad word about nurses as a profession again. Individual nurses? Sure, they are people, too. But that job is just so fucking hard on you. Doing accounts and maintaining stock was light fun compared to nursing.

Those of you married to nurses, tell her/him they deserve more.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Well, professor of law sounds nifty, but, realistically, I'd be happy as a clam working in general surgery. I know, the legal degree and publications in that field will go to waste, but immigrating to USA means you gotta make sacrifices. Not that there's anything outside research in forensic psychiatry and policy work here that you can use both degrees in.

Ok so if you're an MD what do you need a PhD for that for? Just get an MD and be a foreign medical graduate and get in a general surgery residency. Why the schooling past that?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, I got the promotion I was talking about in the IT/Programming thread. Things have been obviously hectic and my new direct boss was away on vacation for 3 weeks until the beginning of this week, so I imagine there hasn't been much time to sort out details.

But, it has been publicly announced. How long should I wait before going to him to talk details(i.e. raise) if they don't come to me?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
But, it has been publicly announced. How long should I wait before going to him to talk details(i.e. raise) if they don't come to me?
ASAP. The longer you wait, the more "routine" it's going to look with you being happy how things sit now. Make your case as soon as you are prepared to (obviously you have a better feel for whatever situation you are in so grain of salt, but if you get a promotion without the details stated ahead of you assuming those new duties, you need to get on that).

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So, I got the promotion I was talking about in the IT/Programming thread. Things have been obviously hectic and my new direct boss was away on vacation for 3 weeks until the beginning of this week, so I imagine there hasn't been much time to sort out details.

You got a promotion with no talk of salary/etc?

Maybe they think the promotion was what you wanted and not the salary then? How did you not negotiate that up front?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That seems way backwards. Every promotion I got I was already getting paid at that job level before it was announced.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The time line was a bit rushed. Near the end of February, my former boss tells my now boss that she's retiring. She doesn't publicly announce she's retiring until a week later and my now boss is going out of town in another week(from that time) for three weeks. I tell him I want the job but he doesn't tell me I got the promotion until hours before leaving the country. And that was done via email.

This has been the first week he's been back. So, I guess I'm cutting him some slack but this is really the first promotion, within a company, that I've received, so that's why I was asking if it's normal. I'm not too worried because I was only going to stay if I got the promotion and it is enough of a raise. No promotion or not enough money, I'm out. This is a small company, I think we passed 50 people just last year. This promotion is quite possibly the only way to tangibly advance my career without job hopping. I hate job hopping.

Tenks

If he can send you an email he could send HR an email. There really isn't any excuse.

Also job hopping, especially in IT, is expected and smart.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Every promotion I've been offered has been significantly less than I received from. Job hop. Both from the current company and the new company. I'm sure you know what I mean

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Every promotion I've been offered has been significantly less than I received from. Job hop. Both from the current company and the new company. I'm sure you know what I mean

It's true and companies are stupid for this, they should value keeping loyal employees and known quantities that they know work hard and fit, but they don't. They always pay big bucks to bring in strangers. So, be the stranger and get the big bucks, if thats the game you gotta play it.

Atlantis

Trakanon Raider
I am an optical engineer working for a national laboratory...A recruiter from Amazon recently contacted me about a "secret project", should I interview for it. Anyone have any insight into amazon?

Tenks

I'm not sure about Amazon from a physical engineering perspective but I assume it wouldn't be dissimilar from a software engineer. Their idea is to lure you in with a high salary and stock options but the catch is they make the conditions to work for them so unbearable you never really vest your stock. So yeah you can make good money for Amazon if you're willing to stick it out but most people just use them to get a name brand on their resume and go elsewhere.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Amazon recruiters(they're almost always third party) are the only ones I ignore. Nothing I've heard makes me want to work there.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I heard the ultimate job app fuck up today. I was on a phone interview as a favor for a company I had done work with in the past as a contractor. I was just there to ask a few questions because they wanted to hire someone full time for what I had done for them and they were happy with.

I didn't say anything the first half the interview. Then the owner ask if there is anything I wanted to ask.

What kind of projects have you worked on in the past?

"I was lead detailer on the new furnace projects 7-12 at company XYZ".

So I thought another comany (and I named the company) did that project.

"Nope, was lead detailer".

Ever worked with Soandso.

"Nope"

So if Soandso and myself told you that we designed and detailed as well as PM'd that entire furnace replacement what would you say to that?

"I think you are mistaken"

Well I don't think so, but let me look in log. Looks in log, Nope right here, let me look up those drawings on the computer. Nope don't see your initials anywhere on them.

Pro Tip - don't interview with someone you are claiming to be. I was done at that point, just guessing he didn't get an in person interview. I think the guy may have been labor on the job or something to even know about them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?
Your bananas sure tell a tale.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user