What do you do?

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
If you're signing off drawings as an engineer then you need your own insurance for sure. Liability wise I doubt anything would be built based upon something drawn and signed off by a sole engineer, so then your employer is checking and signing off your stuff in which case they are responsible, but if the shit did hit the fan who knows where the buck would stop. My gut says you should have your own insurance either way, and in fact the client may require all people working on the project be insured. Certainly something I'd ask your old employer about.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got a call the next day offering me the job. I'm extremely happy to be back to directly working for a company instead of contract work. All the perks and benefits are going to be sweet. Offered me $80k a year, a $28k bump from my current job, but a friend already in the job says most clear $100k due to overtime. So we'll see how it all works out.

Finally got a big boy job!

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Crone

Grats. Now spend more than you earn so you still feel poor.
Of course. That's the American way, right?

And I live in the Seattle area. I'm always going to feel poor! :(

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Got a call the next day offering me the job. I'm extremely happy to be back to directly working for a company instead of contract work. All the perks and benefits are going to be sweet. Offered me $80k a year, a $28k bump from my current job, but a friend already in the job says most clear $100k due to overtime. So we'll see how it all works out.

Finally got a big boy job!
Congrats. Good thing you got laid off and it freed you for more opportunity.

Crone

Congrats. Good thing you got laid off and it freed you for more opportunity.
Haven't kept the thread all that updated I suppose. I did get laid off for 2 months. The new staffing agency that decided not to retain me at the end of September called me early December and offered me my old job back at more pay, and a few more perks. I took it and that's what I've been doing the last 3 months.

Then a co-worker just got this same job I did, and referred me, and a couple weeks later I got the job as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
patents.PNG

7805248_l.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's official. According to the AISC I'm a black mark on the modern steel fabrication industry. I think I'll frame it and have it hung in my office if I ever get back to work.

Was asked to contribute to a paper/pamphlet geared toward helping engineers, project managers, project coordinators, and erectors understand how to work in conjuction with a fabricator. They did not like my suggestions and went thru my list and marked off 99% of them. They really did not like my statement that a farbricator may choose to fabricate on non approved for construction drawings to save time at their own risk. It happens a lot and I didn't think it was earth shattering news. You assume the risk that it will be revised, scrapped or whatever in an effort to get ahead. But the final product will adhere to the final "for construction" engineering and detail drawings.

The guy who wrote me back was an engineer and I looked him up. He's had his stamp 18 months and I sent back I think you are the type the AISC is trying to gear this presentation toward.

Making new friends every day. Guess I can look forward to the letter saying my AISC membership has been revoked lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I want to make a charity that gives people paint and supplies to paint the outside of shitty houses.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Of course. That's the American way, right?

And I live in the Seattle area. I'm always going to feel poor! :(

Damn... good luck with that salary in the Seattle area... I lived there from 92 until 2012.... holy fuck did it get stupid expensive to live there.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's not what you know, it's who you know. At least that's the old saying. As much as my dad pisses me off some days it pays off.

Shop I work with from time to time called and asked about a 60 ft. screw conveyor at a plant and wanted to know if I had ever been in it. They have to do some rework and they don't want to shut it down to take measurements, only shut it down when they replace it. They said they had some old drawings they really couldn't read so I got them to send them to me.

Lucky me I could barely read any of it on an old blue line, but I could read the initials on the drawn by part. Dad still had the original from 1969 he drew. Company was a "How did you dream this shit up?" LOL. Magic.

They didn't care for it when I said "My next act you guys pay me 10x regular rate for pulling a rabbit out of my ass". Was worth a shot. Dad's hooarding of everything pays off haha.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

crying breeman

Molten Core Raider
Cad Cad

So, how's living in Houston? I've been talking with this girl and Universities of Texas and Houston look like good places to work at. Don't see many PhD in Law and Legal theory programs there, though. Would the American thing be to do the PhD in Philosophy with a legal topic instead?

Thing is, I'm either immigrating soon with just an LLM or later MD degree (from #6 medical school globally, can't believe my luck I got in! In the USA, only Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Stanford are better in medicine :eek:) I *know* LLM/MD is a bad combo, but I already have my master of laws, so nothing to be done about it. Honestly, jurisprudence is more interesting intellectually, but doing crazy inside the human body is just too cool. And surgery or any other medical specialty pays a whole lot better than philosophy of law. Something to consider with an expensive divorce and way, way, too little pension savings in the past.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Cad Cad

So, how's living in Houston? I've been talking with this girl and Universities of Texas and Houston look like good places to work at. Don't see many PhD in Law and Legal theory programs there, though. Would the American thing be to do the PhD in Philosophy with a legal topic instead?

Thing is, I'm either immigrating soon with just an LLM or later MD degree (from #6 medical school globally, can't believe my luck I got in! In the USA, only Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Stanford are better in medicine :eek:) I *know* LLM/MD is a bad combo, but I already have my master of laws, so nothing to be done about it. Honestly, jurisprudence is more interesting intellectually, but doing crazy inside the human body is just too cool. And surgery or any other medical specialty pays a whole lot better than philosophy of law. Something to consider with an expensive divorce and way, way, too little pension savings in the past.

I don't live in Houston I live in Dallas. I don't really know anything about Houston, I've only driven through there.

I don't know what you can do in the US with just an LLM and not a JD/LLB, so, no idea. I've never seen a lawyer with a PhD except patent guys with science PhD's, so... nobody gets that. People get JD's. PhD in a legal topic would qualify you to be an academic at a university I guess. Although all my law professors were also JD's.

crying breeman

Molten Core Raider
I don't live in Houston I live in Dallas. I don't really know anything about Houston, I've only driven through there.

I don't know what you can do in the US with just an LLM and not a JD/LLB, so, no idea. I've never seen a lawyer with a PhD except patent guys with science PhD's, so... nobody gets that. People get JD's. PhD in a legal topic would qualify you to be an academic at a university I guess. Although all my law professors were also JD's.

Thank you!

The question was very unclear but you got the idea anyway. I'm blaming the terror attack* and having to pop out for the lack of clarity :p I DO have an LLB but no-one mentions their lesser degree here. But AFAIK, the only State with anything like a civil code is Lousiana and a European lawyer training doesn't qualify you to practice in Lousiana anyway. (And I imagine the citizens of Lousiana are very grateful for that!)

So it would have to be a JD/PhD joint degree. Those are 6 years at UH, if I were to even get in, so it's a no.

There's also such a thing as JSD degree, which I understand is specifically a research doctorate in Law? JD being, like MD, not a very scholarly/scientific research oriented doctorate but more a professional degree, right? I know some people are doing an MD with a PhD in life sciences jointly specifically to have that research skill set.

*i'd already decided I'm emigrating West the day I get my MD and today has sealed the deal.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Thank you!

The question was very unclear but you got the idea anyway. I'm blaming the terror attack* and having to pop out for the lack of clarity :p I DO have an LLB but no-one mentions their lesser degree here. But AFAIK, the only State with anything like a civil code is Lousiana and a European lawyer training doesn't qualify you to practice in Lousiana anyway. (And I imagine the citizens of Lousiana are very grateful for that!)

So it would have to be a JD/PhD joint degree. Those are 6 years at UH, if I were to even get in, so it's a no.

There's also such a thing as JSD degree, which I understand is specifically a research doctorate in Law? JD being, like MD, not a very scholarly/scientific research oriented doctorate but more a professional degree, right? I know some people are doing an MD with a PhD in life sciences jointly specifically to have that research skill set.

*i'd already decided I'm emigrating West the day I get my MD and today has sealed the deal.

What job are you hoping to get that you need to be an LLB/MD/PhD for?

crying breeman

Molten Core Raider
What job are you hoping to get that you need to be an LLB/MD/PhD for?

Well, professor of law sounds nifty, but, realistically, I'd be happy as a clam working in general surgery. I know, the legal degree and publications in that field will go to waste, but immigrating to USA means you gotta make sacrifices. Not that there's anything outside research in forensic psychiatry and policy work here that you can use both degrees in.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
General surgery is a terrible idea for someone looking to be "happy as a clam" unless you have a personal need to define yourself by your job title, IMO